PDA

View Full Version : Doom3: Project Mars City (Comments Only)

Pages : [1] 2

Crimson Sky
03-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Here's where you can post your comments on this case mod project. Enjoy!

voltov
03-14-2005, 07:36 PM
your case looks awsome i hope that one day i have the imagination that you have but untill im older than 13 ill have to stick to what i have ;) nice job

public_eyesore
03-14-2005, 09:11 PM
i thought i have seen this case fully finished before. I think it was on yoshi's fourm's, and i was wondering if you had the link.

Crimson Sky
03-14-2005, 09:26 PM
i thought i have seen this case fully finished before. I think it was on yoshi's fourm's, and i was wondering if you had the link.

Not quite finished yet...still a lot to do on it :D

Chapel
03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
I just want to say congratulations on all your success. I have seen your Doom3 mod (among others) all over the web and in magazines over the last couple of months. So... Congrats on all your success and i got to say, That case is one badass mod!

Xbrid
03-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Looks mad Crimson_Sky. thought I'd say something before the no. of pages catch up to the Hardforum log( 85 Pages!!!!!!)

Xbrid

BTW:Love the new look on the website

Crimson Sky
03-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Looks mad Crimson_Sky. thought I'd say something before the no. of pages catch up to the Hardforum log( 85 Pages!!!!!!)

Xbrid

BTW:Love the new look on the website

hehehe..it is a bit out of control over there on [H]. Welcome to the forums!

Guapogiboy
03-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Have you guys seen the HL2 pc mod? Is that guy in this site? He belongs here.. This doom 3 PC is awesome though. The HL2 one was my fave but I think I just saw it's better..

Just curious, what do you do with these pieces, do you sell them?

Seven
03-15-2005, 12:57 AM
I think I'll answer that one for crimson.

Some PCs (Metropolis, Silicon Rising) are simply for show purposes. Crimson makes them for clients to show at their trade shows or whatever. Then the client gets to take their new shiny toy home to their headquarters for all to see. Crimson does not keep these.

However, the more personal projects he does he does keep. Having 10 cases on hand isn't exactly practical, so some are put into storage, while others are put to use.

DannyGlass
03-15-2005, 08:30 AM
There was a topic about this case mod on neowin.net and last time i checked youd just gotten the keyboard but i see your alot further now and its looky pretty decent, good job and keep up the good work.

-DannyGlass

ZeD
03-15-2005, 10:51 AM
I think I'll answer that one for crimson.

Some PCs (Metropolis, Silicon Rising) are simply for show purposes. Crimson makes them for clients to show at their trade shows or whatever. Then the client gets to take their new shiny toy home to their headquarters for all to see. Crimson does not keep these.

However, the more personal projects he does he does keep. Having 10 cases on hand isn't exactly practical, so some are put into storage, while others are put to use.

If put to use means it sits in a corner for you to stub your toe into every time you walk through the door then yes they are put to use. the D3 project is an ongoing project, since its Paul's personal project it does nto get top priority compared to projects made for companies.

Zuke
03-15-2005, 06:20 PM
I guess I posted this question in the wrong thread before. Sorry.

What did you use to create that awesome looking UI for the touchscreen? It looks so smooth!

Xbrid
03-16-2005, 03:01 AM
Have you decided on the parts yet? Or the Water cooling equipment?

Oneos
03-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Zuke, a fellow modder made the UI for him (forget his name)

And Xbrid: I forget where they were posted so i cant find the specs for u, I'm sure Crim can answer that though.

Matthew
03-16-2005, 10:26 PM
I want to know about this smoke machine. Where did you get it. Whats it called. Google wasn't much help to me. I can think of a lot of uses for a smoke machine like that in a mod.

Crimson Sky
03-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Here ya go: Smoke Generator (http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82602)

Matthew
03-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Yeah. The first thing I thought about when I saw your video was my old train set. Thanks for the link and keep up the good work!

voltov
03-20-2005, 05:13 PM
so when are you ganna work on it so more? or is it done cause i really wanna see some cool pictures of it :) :)

Matthew
03-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Same here. How is the progress comming?

Seven
03-20-2005, 05:46 PM
ZeD: I asked myself the same question. I think some guy named Lothar made it for him using Flash and some other tools to grab video from the games and stuff like that. It's somewhat complicated...somewhat.

jonopaul01
03-22-2005, 02:37 PM
I use Flash. It can be a bit complicated at first but once you know how to use it it is very easy. But I have no idea how to attach a webcam or anything like that to it. I mainly use it for webpage navigation bars etc and simple games. I am not sure but I do not think that that was made with Macromedia Flash. There is just something about it that does not look "right" that you would expect in flash (or maybe it is just well done). Is there anyone who actually know what software was used? I would love to actually see a video of a section of the GUI (is there already one?) but I have to say that it really does look nice. Keep up the good work.

calking
03-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Have you guys seen the HL2 pc mod? Is that guy in this site? He belongs here.. This doom 3 PC is awesome though. The HL2 one was my fave but I think I just saw it's better..

That would be Piloux from Belgium. He has done several others. Sorry if I was thread hijacking. But this has been awesome! Keep it up.

Dillusion
03-23-2005, 01:49 PM

yeah ide like to know where these cases go after your done, the attic? :D

Crimson Sky
03-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Nah I give them to my nephews ;-)

Matthew
03-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Nah I give them to my nephews ;-)

Can I be one of your nephews then?

JesDer
03-24-2005, 01:05 AM
Me too ... well only if they come with hardware :)

I can make my own cases... Not that I dont love CSky's work, but I think he understands what I am sasying.

Matthew
03-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Yeah...you pretty much screwed yourself over before you started on that one.

Mach
03-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Wow Crimson Sky, absolutely fantastic work. I am curious what is your background? It seems that you have a very unique combination of talents that are well suited for case mods. Thanks for sharing the work log and pictures

On a related note, do you have any additional pics or info on how the security door is setup? Thanks!

Matthew
03-30-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm starving for an update crim! Feed my hunger please!

FX
03-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Check out Paul tonight on "Attack of the Show" (formerly The Screensavers) on G4TechTV at 7pm EST/4pm PST.

You can always read Paul's Bio in our Company Contacts off the main page to see his credentials, but to summarize, he's a master carpenter with 20 years experience, and a vivid imagination with a very sharp creative eye.

Some people are scared to push the limits, while Paul rediscovers them. :)

Mach
03-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the tip. After looking at some of Paul's other projects, I'd have to agree that limits really don't apply.

Matthew
03-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Grr....stupid cox cable...taking tech tv (Er G4Tech TV now) off of regular cable...I need to get digital...

E-Fect
04-01-2005, 01:54 AM
I cant wait for it to be done, its looking great. I wish i could do something like that

The Lotharian
04-01-2005, 05:00 PM
I guess I posted this question in the wrong thread before. Sorry.

What did you use to create that awesome looking UI for the touchscreen? It looks so smooth!

I did. I'm waiting on the case hardware to be up and running before I proceed any further. Just to let you know, the program is 95% complete at this point, pending hardware testing.

The programming end of it is 50% flash, 50% black magic. If you want more info, fish through the 'comments' on his HardOCP worklog.

I wish somebody'd BT the episode...

Crimson Sky
04-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Good to see you here Lothar!--I'm glad you could come and answer the questions about the awesome PDA app--cheers!

limion
04-02-2005, 04:04 AM
i got a question too, do you sell your mods or something? i mean you do a great job, but i don't really see the point of having like 4 pc's. do you do these things for friends and family or what? (WARNING! possible dumn question)

Crimson Sky
04-02-2005, 06:38 PM
i got a question too, do you sell your mods or something? i mean you do a great job, but i don't really see the point of having like 4 pc's. do you do these things for friends and family or what? (WARNING! possible dumn question)

Nah not a dumb question I get it all the time. Well like any artist, I create a body of work, in this case custom PC's that are basicaly mine to keep--it would be pointless to not have a large body of personal work to show for--that being said, I also create custom cases for clients, such as Silicon Rising for Intel, Metropolis for Via Technologies and Nighthawk for Cable Organizer.com.

E-Fect
04-03-2005, 12:31 AM
how much do your clients pay for a case?

ZeD
04-03-2005, 01:42 AM
Check it out, 1 million+ views.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/gen_images/hard_1mil.jpg

Whisp
04-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Amazing case and I have to say great job!

Savi
04-04-2005, 05:56 AM
need a update :D :D

preatorian
04-05-2005, 03:17 PM
I hate to be annoying, but MOD crimson! MOD LIKE THE WIND! because we want to see more :P

Crimson Sky
04-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I hate to be annoying, but MOD crimson! MOD LIKE THE WIND! because we want to see more :P

LoL..I am I am~!--In fact I'm just waiting until 4/7 when the remaining comp hardware arrives to give a nice update. Meanwhile I'm moving ahead with Project Nighthawk, in order to meet that deadline. ;)

Matthew
04-05-2005, 09:12 PM
You hear that? 4/7...if not we know where you live...er no we dont but still!!!!!!!!!!

preatorian
04-06-2005, 11:53 AM
maybey on mars they have 4-hour-days? :]

Bum
04-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Actually, Mars' day is 41 minutes longer than ours. I was curious so I looked it up.

Matthew
04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Wow...I keep seeing the Doom3 commercials (Promoting its Xbox release) and I see that logo at the end...and damn...it looks exactly like the front of the cd cover crim...its amazing. I saw it at the end and was like...hey Doom3 Case Mod.

jonopaul01
04-10-2005, 06:31 AM
You call that mouse a mod? It is more of a repaint (that is exactly what it is). It would be great as just a mouse but I don't think it fits in with the Doom3 style. Then again I can't really think of something that would fit in. A PDA style mouse, mmmm a bit complicated.

Any way, great to see an update.

Frakk
04-10-2005, 09:49 AM
how did you take it apart? i have the same mouse and i cant figure out how its put together. good job on the paint, a little plain but we'll see how it blends in with the keyboard :)

Crimson Sky
04-10-2005, 11:48 AM
how did you take it apart? i have the same mouse and i cant figure out how its put together. good job on the paint, a little plain but we'll see how it blends in with the keyboard :)

There are screws under the lable on the bottom front, and also under the oval shaped Teflon pads on the bottom rear. :D However after taking it apart, i decided just tp mask it off with blue tape ;)

MrSlacker
04-10-2005, 05:30 PM
that mouse looks sick. too bad you can see where MX-LASER oval thing was.

Crimson Sky
04-10-2005, 06:16 PM
that mouse looks sick. too bad you can see where MX-LASER oval thing was.

That's where the ActiVision logo will live ;)

MrSlacker
04-10-2005, 06:57 PM
NICE! but you know whats sucks, this game came out so long ago and a lot of people are already WAY over it. you are doing great work man.

Crimson Sky
04-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Doom the legendary game is probably older than you... :p

and Actually it just came out on consoles soo..What sucks is uneducated and uninformed commentary :D

Matthew
04-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Doom the legendary game is probably older than you... :p

and Actually it just came out on consoles soo..What sucks is uneducated and uninformed commentary :D
Ah hem....OWNED!!!!!

Your doing a nice work regardless of who thinks what. Its not about when the game came out its about the talent your expressing through the case, and its the best I have seen. Ever. Keep it up and keep it posted. I guess if I had to complain...I was kinda let down though when I saw you had updated...got all excited and it was just the mouse. Granted the mouse looks great...lol. Keep it up. I look foward to the crazy cool stuff you add to it next.

Frakk
04-10-2005, 08:50 PM
now that looks slick :D

Matthew
04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Agreed...it does.

MrSlacker
04-10-2005, 09:07 PM
sorry, i didnt want to sound disrespectful. i think that mod is AMAZING. and probly the best mod i have seen so far. i dont even know why i made that comment..... :rolleyes:

siege
04-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Wow that mouse looks nice. Whats the process for doing a fade with rattlecans Crim? I would think pull the can further away as you go to kinda fade it but I don't know, I've never done it :) Nice work, can't wait for the next updates.

Crimson Sky
04-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Wow that mouse looks nice. Whats the process for doing a fade with rattlecans Crim? I would think pull the can further away as you go to kinda fade it but I don't know, I've never done it :) Nice work, can't wait for the next updates.

That's just about it--vary the distance of teh spray to the surface of the object. Also working with two colors simultaneously (in this case burgundy and black) you are able to have more control over the gradient than say trying to work with one color at a time.

specialsteve
04-10-2005, 11:35 PM
i love this case you have taken your machines and made them art not many can do this. i love Doom 3 such a crazy game and amazing, i wish i had that much skill in sculping and working with materials. thats the sweetest thing i have ever seen.

Shadow455
04-11-2005, 02:54 PM
It would be cool to mod a mouse in the shape of a shotgun pommel, or something of the sort... Great work.

Gamerx
04-12-2005, 10:01 PM
where can u buy that smok emachine thingy from i need it for my hl2 mod

Seven
04-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Model Train stores I believe.

You can get em for as big as 1:16 if need be.

Gamerx
04-12-2005, 10:10 PM
hi 7 i want the 1 that the doom 3 gut has that smaall. how do they work plz explain

Matthew
04-12-2005, 10:46 PM
I asked the same question...crim gave me this link. (http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82602)

OldY
04-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Hi, i'm new to this forum and i have to say that this case blows me away.
Great work Crimson.
Hope you update soon :p :p
Will you ever produce a work manual on how to produce parts of your doom3 case?. :D :D

OldY

Crimson Sky
04-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Great work Crimson.
Will you ever produce a work manual on how to produce parts of your doom3 case?. :D :D

OldY

Hey thanks and welcome to the forum!---

as far as a 'work manual' do you mean full instructions ?.. If that's what you mean then no, sorry I don't do that :)

Rachel
04-13-2005, 01:53 PM
I really like the mouse. How did you get the logos on there? I might mod one for my project.

Matthew
04-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Great work Crimson.

OldY

He may not give full instructions...but he does have some videos comming out to help you. ;)

Gamerx
04-13-2005, 09:37 PM
hi me again with the smoke generator do u need to add any chemicals to make it smoke or is it fully electrical. if fluid required does it waste much and does it come with fluid of this site http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82602
and how do u plug it in ur computer plz give me instructions if u dont mind crimson

Matthew
04-13-2005, 09:54 PM
It does require fluid...and it is designed to use as little of it as possible. And it can operate on your pc's regular molex connector. Just wire the yellow wire (12v) to its live wire and its ground to one of the ground wires. Its really not that hard. The smoke maker oppeates on 6-12v...so 12v will work fine. Hope this helps...lemme know if you need any more help.

Gamerx
04-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Thank you mathew that helped me alot does it come with the fliud when you purchase it from that site?
u will be tha fist to see my mod lol

Matthew
04-13-2005, 10:23 PM
I don't think it does. I am not sure. Crim can ansure that. I am not sure what fluid it would take eather.

Gamerx
04-13-2005, 11:31 PM
if eny one knows what type of fluid the smoke generaor u use plz tell me and where do i get it from and how muckh does it cost or send me a link crim can u help?

OldY
04-14-2005, 06:38 AM
What material is being used to produce the frame for the bottom of the case at the start of the doom 3 worklog? Might use some for my mod. :D

devont007
04-18-2005, 06:11 PM
holy crap that is the most awe inspireing case ive ever seen. btw how much money did u spend on stuff for this project and what is your current hour count

specialsteve
04-19-2005, 08:24 PM
hey Crimson man i gots an interesting question im hoping you can help me out with, cause im using the same theme right now and was wonder where you got the pentacle appliques or did you etch them or have them done at like a sign shop or something, cause i cant really find any Doom 3 appliques anywhere... not that i want the same ones but was wondering where i could aquire something similar or what to do to go about it all... thanks in advance bro. And on the topic of your mod that thing is pimp bro im feeling the smoke machine and the lcd and everything you got going on, maybe this was already mention in your worklog, but what on god green earth are you powering all of this stuff with? jw i love how everything is a custome job you are in every since of the word a true artist. peace
~steve~

Crimson Sky
04-20-2005, 12:37 AM
hey Crimson man i gots an interesting question im hoping you can help me out with, cause im using the same theme right now and was wonder where you got the pentacle appliques or did you etch them or have them done at like a sign shop or something, cause i cant really find any Doom 3 appliques anywhere... not that i want the same ones but was wondering where i could aquire something similar or what to do to go about it all... thanks in advance bro. And on the topic of your mod that thing is pimp bro im feeling the smoke machine and the lcd and everything you got going on, maybe this was already mention in your worklog, but what on god green earth are you powering all of this stuff with? jw i love how everything is a custome job you are in every since of the word a true artist. peace
~steve~

Hey thanks for the kudos-- ;)

The etching was done by a generous member of [H]ard forums who had access to a laser at work--you might want to check the mod services of some online stores for that---

As for all the accessories I have that need power, they are all low voltage (between 5-12v) and low amperage--very easy to run of of an average PSU without worry.

OldY
04-20-2005, 03:45 AM
What material did you use to make the base structure of the case, because I could use some for my mod :D

Crimson Sky
04-20-2005, 08:42 AM
It was made styrene plastic sheets--the terrain and rocks are cast Bondo :D

Matthew
04-20-2005, 05:14 PM
When can we look foward to another update crim? What are you workin on these days? (Other than the test station)

OldY
04-21-2005, 04:50 AM
Thanks Crimson, I'm thinking of doing a Doom 3 mod myself, I'm going to attach my 17"tft moniter to the outer right of the case and to make it fold out. :D :D (same area as where you put the smoke funnel on your case)
Now, if only i had some hinges :p :p

The Lotharian
04-22-2005, 09:54 AM
if eny one knows what type of fluid the smoke generaor u use plz tell me and where do i get it from and how muckh does it cost or send me a link crim can u help?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSR97&P=FR

Std. Train Smoke Fluid.

crenn
05-03-2005, 09:18 AM
I love the case. But when do you think it will be totally finished?

Crimson Sky
05-03-2005, 11:04 AM
I love the case. But when do you think it will be totally finished?

Will be finished for QuakeCon 2005 in August ;)

crenn
05-09-2005, 09:50 AM
I'll burst out laughing if you finish it on the 4th of August, as that's when my birthday is....

So, when is the next installment of Doom3: Project Mars city? I'm dieing (more like fragging;) ) to see what it wil be. Hehehe, I love your designs... but I'm going to hopefuly go a step better and build a complete case out of Titanium. But your's will still be much much much (see how times you can say much in 1 hour) better.

2dartist
05-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi, new to the board

I was looking around for some modding ideas for a games console when I found this site. I must say the doom 3 case is jaw dropping, fantastic work.

I wanted to ask how the Airlock label was done? How small is the lettering, it looks very clean. Is it a decal or was sprayed on from a template.

James2113
05-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Crimson Sky i just wanted to say. That your work as always is amazing and i look forward in seeing the completion of the Doom3 Case Mod very soon. Wow man just with the snap of your fingers. you capture the essence of the game. Great Job!!!!! :)

spineblaZe
06-05-2005, 05:48 PM
You can get decent color fades with rattle cans. Armed with Krylon Fusion paint (which comes in limited but very "Doomish" colors like Burgundy, hot Pepper and black) I gave this Logitech MX1000 laser mouse a simple, easy paint job that I think looks pretty neat. The tail end of the mouse is black, then fades into the burgundy and then into the hot pepper color in front. Once the clear acrylic topcoat is cured, i'll give it a light wetsanding and then some 3M compound and finaly a polishing glaze.

I have a quick question for you. Was the clearcoat you used on the mouse a rattlecan also? If so, what brand did you use? (Was it Krylon?). Thanks in advance!

bethunej
06-08-2005, 04:53 AM
its a nice job.....ns.ns.ns.ns.ns.ns :D

Xato
06-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Jeez crimson, its been what... 1 day since you finished Nighthawk, and still no Mars City updates? wats up :D lol, j/j man... u cant rush art.

ZeD
06-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Update

During the putting together of the components for testing, it dawned upon us that we were missing a PSU, so a quick drive back to my place fixed that. Later another roadblock, no SCSI Adaptor cables. So one was ordered. When thee 68-80pin SCSI adaptor arrives yee shall reap the consequences.

Cymae
06-14-2005, 12:47 AM
you know wat'd be cool: little integrated speakers that played the doom 3 theme :D

Xato
06-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Only if its in midi format... That would have to be the best midi evAr.

Cymae
06-14-2005, 03:57 AM
midis are the root of all evil.

toyomatt84
06-25-2005, 06:27 PM
How long must I wait to see an update. 4/10/05 is a while ago, bud.

I'm just playing, I know the feeling of being able to work when you can.

Cardan
06-25-2005, 10:40 PM
you better get an update before we start and e-riot! jp jp take your time man.

Matthew
06-26-2005, 01:51 PM
/me fires up his bot net...

Im not kidding :) (Insert evil laugh here)

Aero
06-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey Crimson, very nice job on this. The more I look at it the more I love it. I have only one problem with it...

I want one :p . And it looks like in order to have a sweet comp like that it will take some major $$. Although I do like many of your ideas, epecially the model train rocks as a base. If its no problem with you, I'm going to incorporate something similiar into my next mod. And don't worry, I'll be sure to make a work log, once my internet is able to stay connected for more than 5 min at a time. Well, keep up the great work, hope to hear more about it soon. 8)

Crimson Sky
07-01-2005, 12:47 PM
I finally have time to finish this monster of a case so lets get to it!

Plenty of details need to be added to the side panels, so I began filling in the sparse areas with some Plastruct architectural pieces and some parts from my scrap bin. I also have a chance now to try out the new Iwata Eclipse airbrush I bought last week. Should be a decent upgrade to the Passche workhorse I have been using for years.

If any of you out there want to see some airbrushing action, I can shoot some video--Let me know.

Pic1 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom3_construction_2-(21).jpg)

Small (1/4" NPT) copper elbow was used here:

Doom3 Pic2 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom3_construction_2-(24).jpg)

This area will take lots of hand painting and airbrushing as you can see. The magic is in the details:

Doom3 Pic3 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom3_construction_2-(25).jpg)

Doom3 Pic4 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom3_construction_2-(27).jpg)

Bum
07-01-2005, 01:41 PM
I see 2/3rds of a rear axle, a valve cover and some manifolds in your close-up of the valve area. I love the creative kit-bashing. I'm looking forward to this final stretch of the build. Mod on.

Oh, and I would be very interested to see your airbrushing technique.

Aero
07-01-2005, 03:28 PM
agreed, about the air brushing. Well, looks like we will finally se how his all comes togather. Good luck , almost there!

Xbrid
07-01-2005, 05:54 PM
2 1/2 Months AND THIS ALL YOU'VE DONE!!!

just joking. Great Work. :D

crenn
07-01-2005, 06:27 PM
So many months and this is all we get? :p

Well, at least it is an update and I really want to see how you are going to paint those valves, etc.

toast07
07-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Greato see some new updates it coming along very nicly

UK-Blade
07-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Part 3 : Return of the Mod God

The concluding part of the Doom 3 Mod Trilogy

Just when you thought the Doom 3 mod was forgotten....its back, with a vengance.

Top Marks for the work so far, but its nice to see you finish this beast of a mod. Keep up the very good work.

And Yes, it would be very nice to see you airbrushing.
I've been meaning to get an airbrush and to see a Master ( ;) :D )at work, just might do the trick.

UK-Blade
07-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Was there enough flattery in the previous post to warrant the airbrushing video??

If not I'm sure we can round up a bit more, given all the prolific posters and Crimson Sky devotees (no names, but we all know who you are) on this site ;)

Crimson Sky
07-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Adding just the right amount of detail is really important when scratchbuilding and kitbashing on a project like this. It's easy to add too much detail, creating a confusing pallet of shapes that simply adds confusion to the overall look. Picking the right parts for kitbashing comes from lots of trial, error and experience, and literally hundreds of rejected parts and configurations pile up before I commit to gluing them on. Even then I may rip pieces off if it doesn't seem to fit later on as the work progresses.

Tamiya models are among the very best kits you can buy. The detail is amazing, and the quality of their molds are unsurpassed for producing clean, crisp injection molded parts. Although pricey, these kits have been used for kitbashing by master model makers for years--even back to the first Star Wars. If you come across any production shots of the ILM (Industrial Light & Magic)model shop, you'll be sure to find dozens of boxes of Tamiya military kits in the background.

Kitbash1 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/sidepanel_kitbash-(1).jpg)

Kitbash2 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/sidepanel_kitbash-(2).jpg)

Kitbash3 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/sidepanel_kitbash-(5).jpg)

Kitbash4 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/sidepanel_kitbash-(9).jpg)

crenn
07-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Woohoo, another update, keep them coming Crimson....

DuX
07-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Awsome work Crimson Sky, but your worklogs only available in English. I am from Russia and I am thinking about translating your MarsCity Worklog, would you mind if i do that. Excuse my languige and spelling.

Crimson Sky
07-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Awsome work Crimson Sky, but your worklogs only available in English. I am from Russia and I am thinking about translating your MarsCity Worklog, would you mind if i do that. Excuse my languige and spelling.

Sure no probelm-- ;)

Crimson Sky
07-09-2005, 05:10 PM
I finally found a solution to making the blast doors and airlock open--make linear actuators from old cdrom drives! RC Servos just dont have enough travel in the arms to open the doors I made properly, so by taking the high torque gears and motor that open and close the tray to a CDROM, voila, a linear actuator. I have a short video showing how it works, I'll get it up asap.

Here is a shot of the motor assembly disassembled that will be mounted to that tambour style blast door that covers the LCD on the front of the case:

Linear Actuator1 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/linear_actuatotor-(1).jpg)

This pancake motor is perfect because it is of course, 3-5VDC reversable. It's also designed to last a long time:

Linear Actuator2 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/linear_actuatotor-(2).jpg)

Here is the track assembly. The plastic geared "track" was taken from the CDROM tray and mounted on my aluminum rail:

Linear Actuator3 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/linear_actuatotor-(14).jpg)

The slide assembly has a built-in spring (inside the round alum tube) to prevent the motor from sliding off the geared track when it reaches the ends of the travel. The springs also make sure that the main motor gear is always in contact with the first tooth of the geared track, and ready to move in the opposite direction:

Linear Actuator4 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/linear_actuatotor-(10).jpg)

Linear Actuator5 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/linear_actuatotor-(9).jpg)

Linear Actuator6 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/linear_actuatotor-(26).jpg)

Here is the unit assembled:

Linear Actuator7 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/linear_actuatotor-(24).jpg)

Here is where it will be mounted inside the blast door structure:

Linear Actuator8 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/linear_actuatotor-(43).jpg)

Linear Actuator9 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/linear_actuatotor-(34).jpg)

weirdguy
07-09-2005, 06:34 PM
I would've never thought to use an old Cd rom!

Crimson Sky
07-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Here is some video of the door after i installed the actuator:

Blast Door (DivX) (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom_media/blast door.avi)

Blast Door (Win media) (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom_media/blast door.wmv)

Matthew
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Aha...thats amazing...I was laughing to my self while reading how you did everything...you just...well...awsome :P

MrSlacker
07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
that video is so cool!

toast07
07-10-2005, 07:59 PM
is the wobcan on anymore?
if so when?
and btw thats awsome

Boddaker
07-13-2005, 02:48 AM
That is sweet how it works. It almost opens TOO fast! Maybe if you put a slightly bigger gear on that would slow it down a bit... or would that speed it up? Well, you get my drift! :D

Crimson Sky
07-13-2005, 11:48 AM
That is sweet how it works. It almost opens TOO fast! Maybe if you put a slightly bigger gear on that would slow it down a bit... or would that speed it up? Well, you get my drift! :D

I might throw a potentiometer on there to see if lowering the voltage will slow it down--it may not open at all, but I'll try. Its currently opens at the same speed as a CDROM tray The speed doesnt bother me at all :D

Aero
07-13-2005, 08:15 PM
I agree it moves too fast, I think it should got slowly, maybe find some smaller gears, but deffinately looks sweet.

Crimson Sky
07-13-2005, 09:45 PM
You can't just stick different gears in this thing and make it go slower--it just doesnt work that way--The only solution is to try and ramp down the voltage slightly, and see if the motor still turns the gears--we are not talking about a high torque system here, so it may not work at all. ;)

Tech-Daddy
07-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Guys, it's a blast door... it's supposed to respond quickly!
;)

Excellent work Crimson! Ingenious solution!

sXenoG
07-15-2005, 05:20 AM
Maybe it should respond quickly but when i looekd at the video i felt it should go slowe as well it would cause quite a nice effect imo specially if it rose very slowly while uncovering a small video of some dark doom3 video with lots of action.

sXenoG
07-23-2005, 10:19 PM
I was just looking through the worklog again and I saw the HDD rack. I see how it will lock into place but how do you get it out if it needs to be removed again? I might me able to use this technique to solve a problem im having.

Crimson Sky
07-23-2005, 11:34 PM
A portion of the Martian terrain base is removable--the HDD rack then slides out.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/base_unit_1-(3).jpg

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/terrain_complete-(13).jpg

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/terrain_complete-(27).jpg

sXenoG
07-24-2005, 05:50 AM
I kinna guess that part. But that little clip thing inside of your base isnt that waht keeps it secured within. If so do you just lif the hd rack over that clip b4 you slide it out?

Crimson Sky
07-24-2005, 03:50 PM
yeah it gets clipped in and then two screws secure the frame in. To remove the rack, I take out the two screws, push forward slightly to disengage the clip on the front, lift up a little (to prevent the clip from engaging again)and then slide the whole thing out.

sXenoG
07-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Alright thanks for the info Im considering using this method or one similar on a case that im designing well (in my head lol) :p

dannythomas89
07-26-2005, 05:11 PM
omfg that is absolutely AMAZING!!! how long did it take you (whatever it woz the finished product is well worth it)

Crimson Sky
07-26-2005, 05:15 PM
omfg that is absolutely AMAZING!!! how long did it take you (whatever it woz the finished product is well worth it)

hehe..thanks man--its actually NOT completed yet--I hope to have it unveiled shortly tho---

Mach
07-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Ahh, thanks Sky for the explanation of the blast door mechanism. That helps a bunch.

A couple of questions: is there any problem with the the door torqueing sideways because you're pulling from one edge. Also what shuts the motor off? Does it stay on when its up?

Crimson Sky
07-27-2005, 05:54 PM
A couple of questions: is there any problem with the the door torqueing sideways because you're pulling from one edge. Also what shuts the motor off? Does it stay on when its up?

If you look closely (in the video) you can see that the motor is mounted with a 6" or so piece of alum angle on the entire width of the door--this spreads the force evenly on it preventing the torque you mentioned..had I not put in this brace, yeah it might. The door is also very light weight, only a few ozees, and the track is greased up with white Lithium.

For the motor switch I'll use one similar to those used for a car window--SPDT (single pole double throw) spring loaded. Those springs I installed (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/linear_actuatotor-(26).jpg) on the drive rail prevent the gears from stripping, and also the motor from burning out..the gear will simply spin untill the motor is reversed ;)

Low tech, but hey its solid and does the trick. :D

dannythomas89
07-27-2005, 07:04 PM
where did you learn how to do all of this?

Mach
07-27-2005, 07:22 PM
DannyThomas89, I asked the same thing a few months back.

Try here: CrimsonSky Biography (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=2)

Thanks Sky!

dannythomas89
07-27-2005, 07:31 PM
thanks mach

Lelleman
07-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Crimson Cann you write a list on everything you buyed to the Mod and what stores! plz

Aero
07-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I think most of it was free (damn you), but a list of the material used might be kind of cool, if ya got the time Crimy

crenn
07-31-2005, 04:21 AM
Crimson Sky, thought you might like to see this:

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/490/490104/vids_1.html

Yep, a DOOM movie based on the game. Bet you anything they'll asked you to help out.

NeoStyle
07-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Wow, bravo. Amazing, wish my imagination was as good as yours. When I look at a box I see a box, hehe.

engete
08-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi Crimson. I have a question. You writed: I penciled out some lines on the plastic - what kind of plastic do you mean? I need some plastic like this from you case but i don't know what it is :)

sXenoG
08-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Its plastic styrene you can get small sheets from towerhobbies.com. Plastructs is what is in one of his pictures. He really doesnt use this stuff except for detail I believe I lost all my favorites the othjer day or id tell you where he gets most of his plastic styrene. He gets very large sheets. Im hoping that he reads ur post and posts the link again as i cannot find the link in this forum again.

Aero
08-09-2005, 09:02 PM
LIKE OMG. AN UPDATE!! *Dances to the best of my ability (scars young children for life in the process)*

Lookin great Crimson. SO if I remember right, the door willl open when the computer turns on and stay open right? AlsoI can't wait to see it all come togather, the LED's, working door, painted door (inside), and the chainsaw. Wow, thats going to be great, once again your going beyond the "limits" of computer modding, keep up the good work!

Crimson Sky
08-09-2005, 09:19 PM
LoL---thanks man you can stop dancing now :p

I think going to put the door on a 3 way switch (up, down, neutral, like a car window) so i can open and close it at will--rather than having it open and stay opened with a power up--

tapion440
08-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Can't wait to see those doors in motions.

Doom 3: Project Mars City - 82% done

Sky
08-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Hey babe, awesome update! Case looks great. Of course, incredible attention to detail with the backside of the airlock doors. Its coming along. Most definitely the most intense mod yet. Hope to see more soon!

weirdguy
08-16-2005, 11:21 AM
I just got an idea, maybe you could mod a power strip and make it say "Mars City Power Multiplier 1"

snefan
08-17-2005, 11:18 AM
dude!!! you're frikkin awesome!! respect! :eek: :D

Crimson Sky
08-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Here's a short video showing the motorized airlock in action. The retract servo is controleld by a small single channel servo controller board that runs at 5v DC. The airlock LED light changes to red once it is fully opened and then to white when closed--i may change this to green but i didnt have any on hand.

Airlock Door DivX (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/video/airlock2.avi)

Airlock Door Windows media (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/video/airlock2.wmv)

Aero
08-24-2005, 05:55 PM
cool. The only thing I noticed was that the unit seems to move up at the end and down in the beginning. Not sure why, but it looks alittle odd. Nice work btw. I think the green LED would look nice, sort of a "all safe" type thing.

Crimson Sky
08-24-2005, 06:00 PM
The only reason it moves slightly at the end of the gear travel is because the aluminum base the servo sits on is flexing slightly because of the tremendous force put on it. It doesnt effect the doors at all.

snefan
08-24-2005, 06:06 PM
woah nice! :D

Crimson Sky
08-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Here is a shot showing the case mocked up thus far--Just a bit of scratchbuilding, wiring, watercooling, lighting and hardware installation left to do--and of course--some airbrushing and hand painting :)

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom_mod_side1.jpg

Malatory
08-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Every time I see am update on this I do have to say WOW, The Detail of the craftmanship is great and it looks great.

Dante
08-25-2005, 12:04 PM
pfftttttt!..... I could make a way better case than that. Crimmy is a rookie. Thats right....I called you Crimmy :D :eek:

Crimson Sky
08-25-2005, 01:54 PM
I thought I was Crimmy-pooh-shnookums to you :(

Zeus
08-25-2005, 03:22 PM
I think we are treading dangerously close to the "too much information" line

Malatory
08-25-2005, 03:31 PM
I think we are treading dangerously close to the "too much information" line

Good I am not the only one getting a little nervous about the actions of those two ;)

brouhaha
08-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Hello Crimson,

I've been a lurker here for quite a while and this mod completely blows me away. I had a small suggestion regarding the LED for the airlock doors. It goes red when the doors are completely open and green (blue?) as they start to close. If it is possible to take it to the next level of detail, can you make it such that it goes red as soon as the doors start to open, and green when they are completely closed. I imagine that would be how a status/warning light on a sealed door would behave.

Regards.

Crimson Sky
08-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Nahh..but ..thanks for the idea, i think i'll stick with it as is ;) welcome to the forums!

tapion440
08-26-2005, 04:19 PM
I just want to fast foward and see the finished product. The case/tower is just too cool.

Crimson Sky
08-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Worklogs should be fun!--In that spirit, here is a short video showing some airbrushing work :)

Servo Mechanism Cover (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/video/servo_cover3.wmv): [3:41] winmedia wmv format

invalid
08-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Love it. Thanks for showing us how the masters do it.

Zeus
08-28-2005, 05:53 PM
that was awesome. You make such complex ART look like child's play. Amazing!!!

Dante
08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Dude...I work for you, I have seen your tricks, and your work up close..... and that **** was KILLER. I just had to add that. Move along...nothing to see here.

iceman001
08-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Tomorrow my air brush kit will be here and your video was just very illustrative in how to move the hand, I cant wait to try out :)

Thanks

PS Cant wait for the next video clip.

public_eyesore
08-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Simply amazing.
Question: What will you do with the case when finished?

Crimson Sky
08-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Simply amazing.
Question: What will you do with the case when finished?

I'll be taking it to events this fall and next year. unless I get a nice offer for it, the case will remain in my collection of work. ;)

tapion440
08-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Worklogs should be fun!--In that spirit, here is a short video showing some airbrushing work :)

Servo Mechanism Cover (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/video/servo_cover3.wmv): [3:41] winmedia wmv format
I guess I should have explained myself better.

I love going through each update. But after I get done with the latest one I must wait awhile until I can see more progress. I'm left hanging on the edge of my swivel chair, waiting for the next installment of a mod that I can't possibly do(not yet anyways ;) ). I meant no disrespect to your mod or your worklog.

I just need to learn how to be more patient(sp?).....and spell better.

Is air brushing very expensive to get into?

purerockfury
08-29-2005, 07:20 PM
this project is amazing. the attention to all the details is phenominal. and what i like about it is it uses a lot of techniques i've been learning with the miniature gaming i'm doing.

i do have to ask how you did the weathering effects on the airlock. and i notice you use a super glue for assembling plastics. why not use a plastic glue? i use it strictly for my plastic models and the stuff is great. i have dropped models onto concrete floors from 5ft high or more and i have not broken a piece yet ::knock on wood:: i use the model master brand and i have been using the same bottle for nearly 2 years now. i have found very little is needed to hold pieces together. and what's great if you need to fill gaps it does that well too when used right. (sorry if you know this i just wanted others to know about the plastics glue)

this project of yours has me wanting to build one based on the miniature games i play. and once i can get the funds up to get the parts i need i will give it a go and hopefully it will be soon enough to post progress here.

great work crimson sky (and anyone else that might be part of the project). it's great inspiration for people like myself. and it shows what money and talent can do. (sorry bit of sarcasm from me being jealous)

Aero
08-29-2005, 08:52 PM
I recently spent about $20 on a few modeling glues (1 epoxy, one "quick drying" filler glue), and neither work well, the glue is anything but quick drying, and the epoxy smells like rotten eggs even when dry. Just wondering what you use, thanks mate.

Crimson Sky
08-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I recently spent about $20 on a few modeling glues (1 epoxy, one "quick drying" filler glue), and neither work well, the glue is anything but quick drying, and the epoxy smells like rotten eggs even when dry. Just wondering what you use, thanks mate.

I use Pacer brand Zap-A-Gap super glue for 90% of my construction with plastics--I do sometimes use plastic solvent type cement for very small parts.

BattlePope
09-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Hey Crimson, is there a link where we can see your older pieces of work? This case looks great. You mentioned that you may incorporate some demons into this case. How might you go about that?

Malatory
09-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Hey Crimson, is there a link where we can see your older pieces of work? This case looks great. You mentioned that you may incorporate some demons into this case. How might you go about that?

Off the main page here http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/ if you scroll down a bit until on the left hand side says "Project Galleries " under that are listed all of his projects (plus a few others).

BattlePope
09-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Hey Crimson, can you make a video of you painting weathering effects? Such as scratches and those sorts of minor details. Thank you.

Crimson Sky
09-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Sure thing--that is planned for the next video, it just so happens :)

BattlePope
09-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Hey crimson or anyone else that airbrushes, I have a cheap airbrush that I use at the moment. Which I would like to upgrade, but before I upgrade the brush I think I should upgrade to an air compressor. Im currently using those crappy propellent cans, which if anyone has every used are a pain to use. What should I consider when purchasing an air compressor? The problem with the propellent cans is that the air flow is inconsistant. Would I still have this problem with a small compressor or should I get a larger one?

Rankenphile
09-14-2005, 10:02 PM
You shouldn't have the problem with a small compressor, provided you have a relay tank in between. My father just set up his garage with an impressive layout - he has a large compressor housed just outside, to reduce noise, with air pipe running throughout the garage and stations every so often. That way he can hook up air tools to it, and at his airbrushing station he has a pipe that runs to a secondary tank with a pressure regulator between the secondary tank and the gun. That way the compressor constantly refills the tank and the regulator keeps the pressure to whatever he wants. Works great.

You could do this yourself with a compressor, secondary tank and a regulator. Piece of cake.

BattlePope
09-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Are there going to be demons on this case aswell? If so, how are you going to incorporate them?

Maybe you could put a few bullet holes in the building or burnt explosion marks?

Or possiby one of those barrels of toxic waste on the walkway.

Just food for thought.

Crimson Sky
09-15-2005, 11:41 AM
There won't be any demons--I ditched that idea after considering it for a while. :D

BattlePope
09-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Not sure if anyone knows about the Classic Doom 3 mod. These guys are recreating Doom with the Doom 3 engine. Take a look and maybe you'll get some new ideas for this case.

http://cdoom.d3files.com/index.php

ozone77
09-29-2005, 04:19 PM
In case it is true..

Happy B-day Crim!

Crimson Sky
09-29-2005, 04:39 PM
In case it is true..

Happy B-day Crim!

hehehe..hey thanks man, I appreciate it!

iceman001
09-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Happy Birthday Sir.
I hope you live many years more to show us your AWESOME modding skills.
S~

Aero
09-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Happy Birthday Crimson!

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2165/birthday2zm.gif

crenn
09-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Happy Birthday Crimson.

May your modding shine today!!!

Zeus
09-30-2005, 10:16 AM
happy b-lated man. Sorry I missed this last night

DickNervous
09-30-2005, 11:44 AM
hehehe..hey thanks man, I appreciate it!

Wait, yesterday was your birthday? Wow. Mine is Sunday.

Happy Birthday old man. :D

[DGN]Nexus
09-30-2005, 01:44 PM
cool,

happy B'day to you
happy B'day to you
happy B'day to Crimson
happy B'day to you

So when are you gonna give us another Doom update?

Crimson Sky
10-05-2005, 03:19 AM
LoL..thanks to everyone for the HB wishes--

Here are a couple pics I took a few weeks ago during painting and final assembly:

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom_paint_finish-(1).jpg

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom_paint_finish.jpg

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom_paint_finish-(7).jpg

Ascoates
10-05-2005, 04:06 AM
WOW Happy late birthday and what am amazing case.

Malatory
10-05-2005, 07:59 AM
So your almost done .. and quake 4 is starting to come out ... hhmmmm

the paint job is really nice.

invalid
10-05-2005, 07:57 PM
"A few weeks ago"?

So its fully assembled? Show more Show more!

[DGN]Nexus
10-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Suuuuuuuuuweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeet!!

niptacular
10-08-2005, 12:20 AM
That is incredibly insane! great work!

Aero
10-08-2005, 12:34 AM
sweet. I can't wait to get my Airbrush! I just need to find a good (cheap) compressor and then I'm gonna order one. I really need to add some effects like that to my case. Good job Crimson.

GregoryJ
10-08-2005, 04:38 PM
hey Aero, here are 2 great sites for airbrushes and the like. Bearair.com and eastwoodco.com. 8)

Crimson, you are one sick modder... Total respect!

Malatory
10-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Doom the movie comes out on the 21 and CrimsonSky is almost done .. or is done and just waiting and teasing us.

So is the final coming out the same day???

/me bangs Keyboard ... I want more pics

:)

Aero
10-10-2005, 04:10 PM
hey Aero, here are 2 great sites for airbrushes and the like. Bearair.com and eastwoodco.com. 8)

Crimson, you are one sick modder... Total respect!

Thanks man. I got it today. A Paasche VL double action airbrush. It runs out the Paasche plant is about a mile from my old house, so if I ever need any parts, I shouldn't have to wait too long. I just need to go out later and pic up a compressor from Home Depot.

Hopefully I can get good with it and add some effect like Crimson did. I've been watching that video of airbrushing a few times.

Ascoates
10-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Wow just saw some of those final pics and it looks awesome. I just hope that when I get round to doing mine it looks as good as that

Crimson Sky
11-04-2005, 11:41 PM
I decided to do away with many of the mechanical switches and buttons on the mod and go for solid state with an IR remote control--because how cool is RC??-- :D I picked up a 12 Channel IR Relay Board (http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.36/it.A/id.376/.f) (in kit form) and assembled it in about 2 hours. The nice thing about this board is that you can have an on/off configuration on the channels or momentary switching, or a combination of both. To test it out I hooked it up to the blast door module--works like a charm.

Remote1 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/remote_relay-(2).jpg)

Remote2 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/remote_relay-(7).jpg)

Remote3 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/remote_relay.jpg)

Here is the air intake vent for the HDD cooling fans. This scratchbuilt piece uses some styrene sheet, modder's mesh and two copper plumbing elbows. To get the sublte shading in the paint, first it was airbrushed, then hand detailed and finaly a soft shading with Doc Browns' weathering powders applied with a sable brush. This is pretty much how I painted the entire mod.

Intake1 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/intake-(6).jpg)

Intake2 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/intake-(19).jpg)

Intake3 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/intake-(21).jpg)

Intake4 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/intake-(13).jpg)

Intake5 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/intake.jpg)

public_eyesore
11-05-2005, 01:47 AM
CRAZY!!!! AWESOME!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Your the best!!!

Rankenphile
11-05-2005, 01:47 AM
/jaw drops

crazybillybob
11-05-2005, 09:21 AM
/on both kneees /begging
Put up a weathering guide!!
\off both knees \end begging

:omg:
That paint is great!!!
The Remote is way cooler than buttons! Cause your Right R/C Is cool :D

Crazybillybob

BattlePope
11-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Paul can you please explain what this means or does.

"a soft shading with Doc Browns' weathering powders applied with a sable brush"

Thanks

Crimson Sky
11-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Ooops..it's actually "Doc O'Brien's"

From www.micromark.com:

"Doc O'Brien's weathering powders let you create an old, weathered appearance on scale vehicles, military models, trains, figures and aircraft. The ultra-fine powders are dusted on to simulate the effects of time and the elements. They're also used as weathering washes when mixed with water. One kit contains enough powder to weather dozens of models. Instructions included. Non-toxic. Twelve color set includes Dirty Brown, Mildew Green, Grimy Black, Gritty Yellow, Rusty Red, Faded Blue, Rusty Brown, Grungy Gray, Patina Green, Desert Sand, Highlight White and Muddy Red."

Instructions for #81632 Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders (http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81632)
Weathering models with powders is easy, and fun!
Just follow the few steps below to obtain expert results.

Cover your workbench with newspaper to avoid soiling it with spilled powder.

Select the colors you want. Remove the lids and place them top down on your workbench in front of each color.

Use a small brush to pick up powder from the jar, then pat the brush on the lid. Apply the color to the desired area of the model. Then brush out and blend the color with a large soft brush.

The best effects are obtained by applying color in the following order: rust (on parts representing iron or steel), then white, and then the top color, usually dirt or grime.

White is used to provide a highlighted base-coat for subsequent colors and really brings out details. Grimy colors work well to tone down and blend underlying colors.

Apply as much or as little color as you want. If you apply too much, simply wash the powders off with a little soapy water, let dry, and reapply.

Powdered colors may be sealed in place with a very light coating of a flat clear spray; however, the intensity of the weathering will be diminished by the clear coating.

Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders can also be used as weathering washes by mixing them with water or thinners. Be sure that the thinner you select is compatible with the surfaces you are weathering and experiment on a scrap piece before applying to your model.

We have found that models made of wood stand up very well to handling without too much of the powder rubbing off. If you weather a structure that won't get handled much, a clear coat may not be necessary.

Guttenaffe
11-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Ahhh Crimson! I just noticed the IR remote!

I swear I was just writing you a PM with an offer to make you a Keyfob RF remote RX for cost of parts for your Doom3 mod.
Now you already have that big old line of sight IR remote bah! :P

The keyfob OEMs I use are easy to take apart to paint and come in 1 button, 2 button, 3 button, 4 button, and 5 button configs.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4374/keyfobtx5bu.png

Crimson Sky
11-08-2005, 01:05 AM
Hey thanks for the offer--or "almost offer"---I'll be using over 8 channels to control features on the mod--plus the switching capability can't be had in a teeny iMac candy plastic keyfob remote. Who cares about RF really. How far do you have to get away from your PC to activate things anyway :D

Guttenaffe
11-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Beats me, I use one to power on me PCs and lights :D
Different channels per room, now to make me a channel switcher so I can power all from one remote hmm :D sounds like a good senior project for my B.S. less they force me to do some companies project (I like picking my own personally) :D

ESP my firewall one cause I'm too lazy to get up and turn it on when I want to use my laptop and wifi. My next project is a PS2 loop though which will allow me to send the [Ctrl]+[alt]+[del] scan codes to my Linux firewall to shut it down heh. I'm guess I'm getting REAL lazy, esp. since I can shut it down via SSH before I turn a PC off. I say who wants to wait for putty to load when I can press one button! :D

Malatory
11-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Very Nice Crimsonsky! Looking good as always and making everyone drool.

Rankenphile
11-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Hey Paul, clean out your PM box - you're full up.

BattlePope
11-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey Crimson,

I realize that you will be making a few videos. Will there be a video on you using the weathering powders? I understand the directions but Im a better visual learner. Thanks.

saf
12-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Awsome mod...do you mind sharing the kind of knowledge and quallification required to produce such a beautiful piece?

Xato
12-02-2005, 10:01 PM
If you look into the section of the site about Crimson, you'll see he worked as on special effects, carpentry and model building for quite some time. Ofcourse thats the indirect route to case modding, you can ofcourse dive in head first and learn by experience. =P

Here's his biography if you're interested.
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=2

Crimson Sky
12-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Whew!...alright it looks like its finally in the home stretch--Nothing more to build, just paint and assemble--easier said than done--although since the entire mod is built around modules, everything should fit right into place. Lots of wiring to do as well--but its 99% done overall. Here are some pics from last weeks build:

Etched pentagram window in its frame with LED lighting. Basically its 6 ultrabright red lamps wired in parallel:

Pentagram Window (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/window_lit-(6).jpg)

Light bar (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/window_lit-(8).jpg)

Here is the roof module during painting. The cover caps off the roof nicely and includes 2x 120mm fan vents for the Black Ice pro radiator.

Roof Module 1 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/roof_cooler-(3).jpg)

Roof Module 2 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/roof_cooler-(5).jpg)

Here you can see that i curved the interior of the roof module to allow for airflow off the radiator:

Roof Module 3 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/roof_cooler-(9).jpg)

The Antec case is really small for a mid-tower, so I built an extension for the rear of the case. This allows me to push the PC Power & Cooling 510 SLi PSU out the back about two inches, giving me preciuous room inside for wire managment and components. The round holes on the extension piece are for PSU fan exhaust, an 80mm fan and a hole for the water pump. This estension piece also conceals all the typical messy wires on the back of the PC :

Extension 1 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/rear_extension-(1).jpg)

There is even a hinged door for access to the I/O panel of the motherboard.

Extension 2 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/rear_extension-(4).jpg)

Once its all painted up and weathered, I'll take individual pics of all the components before assembly to show all the parts.

Xato
12-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Thats some awesome work dude, cant wait to see the final assembly. And i cant wait to see what your next project is =P

headcrab
12-03-2005, 02:06 AM
Hey Paul, Ive been following you progress from the start and I thought I would register just to ask one question. Are you going to put a varnish on the case? A matte varnish would really seal up the paint and bring out the colour imho

Crimson Sky
12-03-2005, 03:16 AM
Yeah I've been spraying on a clear matte finish after weathering with the powders to seal it all in. :)

Malatory
12-03-2005, 02:08 PM
The Detail of your work is always very well done. I really like the way everything is taking shape. Also sometime wish we would get more updated on this :D as I know you are kept busy with everything in your life.

Very Nice work.

Rankenphile
12-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Simply stunning. Nice work Paul.

headcrab
12-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Yeah I've been spraying on a clear matte finish after weathering with the powders to seal it all in. :)

Good stuf :) I am a model maker myself with lots airbrush experiance and i've been thinking about making a pc case. your work is certainly a inspiration as most mods dont really have any intricate painting 8)

[D]ark[A]cid
12-06-2005, 03:55 AM
Hey Crimson, Good work on the case, it's easily my favourite. I have a question for you though. What do you use to cut and shape the styrene for the armour plating? You get really straight cuts and I was just wondering how you do it?

Crimson Sky
12-06-2005, 03:40 PM
I use an alum straight edge and utility knife--score the styrene and then snap to make a pretty clean cut. Sometimes a file helps correct the edge and make it perfect. For intricate cuts I use a Dremel scroll saw. You can make intricate angle cuts in styrene as long as you make "easment" or release cuts (scored all the way to the edges of the sheet) to help when snapping the part clean--in say a triangle piece or a rhombus. There is a bit of waste for intricate parts, but the material is really cheap when ya buy big sheets--about $15-25 USD for a 4x8 foot piece

Viper-Inc
12-09-2005, 02:15 AM
Holy crap dude, that stuff is 1337!

Very nice ideas and very nice designs! I cannot wait to see the finishing product for this 1. Great work!

[D]ark[A]cid
12-10-2005, 06:22 AM
Crimson, thanks for answering my question but heres another one. I've bought some styrene for a mod I'm doing atm but I don't think its the same as you use. I bought it form a model shop and it was called styrene. The thing is it's glossy, whereas as far as I can tell from your pics the stuff you get isn't. I think I've bought the wrong thing, please shed some light?

Elum!nal
12-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi!

Could you explain more about the top of the building...
What did you use and how?

Thnx

Crimson Sky
12-12-2005, 01:26 AM
ark[A]cid']Crimson, thanks for answering my question but heres another one. I've bought some styrene for a mod I'm doing atm but I don't think its the same as you use. I bought it form a model shop and it was called styrene. The thing is it's glossy, whereas as far as I can tell from your pics the stuff you get isn't. I think I've bought the wrong thing, please shed some light?

Polystyrene--styrene------same stuff when it comes to model building and prototype making material. You probably bought the thin stuff.. I've seen the 0020" styrene thats pretty shiny--there really is no difference, its the same material but thinner, and the manufacturer just buffed it. I use mostly 0030-0080" material purchased from www.usplastics.com. Polystyrene is such an incredibly flexible material on a molecular level, that many many different characteristics can be put into it when its manufactured--it can be made light andf fluffy, as in a styrofoam drinking cup, or super strong as in the plastic your keyboard is made from. ;)

The modern world would not be what it is without this plastic--it's in just about everything except a cheese samich

adreamtraveler
12-12-2005, 02:23 AM
wishing i hadn't slept through chemistry right about now :p hehe

Xato
12-14-2005, 01:34 AM
The modern world would not be what it is without this plastic--it's in just about everything except a cheese samich

Aye, but what marvelous creation holds our cheese samich's? thats right, plastic.

GhostRider
12-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Hello new to the forums been reading the posts and I was just wondering if you ever got the touch screen to work on the serial port. I have been thinking about getting one for an idea. Beautiful work by the way. :) I have 12 years as a plug and mold maker and have 16 years custom painting from cars to airplanes so I can understand the time involved in a project like yours. Well keep up the good work.:) :)

Crimson Sky
12-15-2005, 01:50 PM
welcome to the TBCS forums!~~Turns out I was using the wrong drivers/install procedure for the touch screen--the great folks at www.earthlcd helped me get it working in no time!

Hopefully you can share some of your experience in the moldmaking field to help us with projects!! :D

Crimson Sky
12-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Aye, but what marvelous creation holds our cheese samich's? thats right, plastic.

touche' :p

GhostRider
12-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Hey Thanks for the quick reply to my question, sure if I can help i'll try to answer a few questions but I have never worked stuff this small before but I guess the princable is the same. So when do you think you will be done with your mod, and are you going to put together a small video with everything working on it at the same time? By the way nice to see the KISS (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) princable is still used with the scissor mechasim sweet.:rolleyes:

HaWk16
12-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Awsome mod crimson, simply amazing. I was just wondering though, how much do your clients pay for your custom mods?

Crimson Sky
12-18-2005, 11:06 PM
So when do you think you will be done with your mod, and are you going to put together a small video with everything working on it at the same time?

Soon!...a couple of weeks at the most--And yeah I'll shoot plenty of video of the all the features :)

Crimson Sky
12-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Awsome mod crimson, simply amazing. I was just wondering though, how much do your clients pay for your custom mods?

That's personal business stuff, so I wont divulge that here--but remember that custom work comes at a premium for just about any product that is hand made ;)

[D]ark[A]cid
12-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Would you be able to include in that video some footage of you doin the styrene work? It would really help me a lot, thats if you haven't already finished it all.

Hertzberg
12-29-2005, 02:15 AM
Just one question Crimson. Where do you get the platsic things to build it?. Like the ventaltion on the side, What is Paper,Plastic?. Need to know about all your plastic you used?

Like this pic, What kind of plastic is that, Liink would be great?

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/doom3_construction_2-(24).jpg

M!ST!CX
01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Unbelievable case modd,impressive.I cant wait to see your new mod..
Poz

headcrab
02-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Where are the updates :'(

jdbnsn
02-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Hi Crimson_sky,
I am brand new to all of this, never posted on a thread, overclocked, and never even heard the term "mod" before. No, I don't live in a cave, I live in med school so I see very little sunlight. I was actually building a home-made media center PC out of an old chassis and plywood, paint, stainless steel, etc.. and I started searching the web for ideas of how to soup it up with a small video screen like you did. Well, by now I have seen dozens of mods and I am blown away. You and all of the other people who build these are creating very inspiring work, and your Doom 3 is beyond description, I am floored! Now that I see my video screen is by no means an original idea, I should at least be able to find out how to do it. Just wanted to drop in and applaud!
Jon

Crimson Sky
02-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Hey Jon, damn glad you stopped by and joined us on the forums! I hope we've helped inspire you to work with your hands and be creative with computers--I learn something new every day from the folks on the forums--stick around and share your work with us--no project is too small!!

jdbnsn
02-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Thanks Crimson! I have definately been inspired, as a matter of fact, I am just taking a break from the shop where I have been having lots of fun. I have my wooden media center 3/4 finished and have stripped my pc into shambles and am giving it a new paint job and decals (I'll post pictures of them when I finish). I hooked! But I have tons to learn, feel like a tiny fish in a huge sea. I'm going to dive into the forums and see how some of this stuff works.

onelegout
02-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Heya!
I just wanted to say thanks again for the help and advice on my motor electrics on my new project! (I will start a Worklog to come in a week or two!)
When I first read through this worklog I was impressed. Then, after building my first modded case, and realising the high level of skill which is needed to actualy build these things, I re-read your worklog and was absolutely amazed. You can only realy appreciate the level of perfect detail in this build after you've tried it for yourself and failed!! :D
Thanks for the help and for the inspiration! I cant wait to see more from you!
H

Edit: cool sig!...

[subliminal message]I LOVE A.C.RYAN[/subliminal message]

shocker((o))
02-07-2006, 06:04 PM
hi, new to the forums, and dont have much experience. this case mod is amazing, and i cant wait to see it finished. i no u cant rush art, but please hurry! :-P

tybrenis
02-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Crimson, you are the man. I know your book by heart.

Crimson Sky
02-11-2006, 02:10 AM
After 15 months, I'm 99.9% done....!!! There will be an official page up soon on Newegg.com that will have really good shots of the case as well as plenty of video and other good stuff--stay tuned and thanks to all for sticking with me and helping out with this huge project--more to come soon!

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/doom3/d3_1.jpg

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/doom3/d3_2.jpg

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/doom3/d3_3.jpg

jdbnsn
02-11-2006, 02:50 AM
That is beautiful! You are truely a master of your craft, and driven me to want to build, build, build! Excellent work!
Jon

Crimson Sky
02-11-2006, 03:08 AM
Awesome Jon--!!..that means I've really reached my goal with the project, I'm glad its helped inspire you

jdbnsn
02-11-2006, 04:17 AM
I am posting my first worklogs now of two things I'm working on, I hope you'll check them out.