PDA

View Full Version : Pocket PC version of WMP is being a piece of crap (big surprise).

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Okay, here's what happened:

I was watching TV and decided I was gonna listen to Tool during the commercials. I turn my Pocket PC (HP rx4240 Mobile Media Companion) on and go to Windows Media Player (WMP) and go to the Library. Lo and behold, it doesn't see the storage card (it does this, I just unplug it and plug it back in) so I remove and replace it. It says "Storage Card detected. Search for media?", and I hit the Okay button. It goes into the search and gets stuck on the "adding files" thing for a few minutes. It finishes and there's nothing added to the library and it still doesn't see the card. I can go to File Explorer and play the music from there, but that's a pain and it won't get more than one song into the playlist.

I tried the HP Tech Support page for troubleshooting and the works but they don't have jack **** in there except for busted screens which they don't cover. I feel like putting this thing through a wall and never buying another one of these things again, and just buying an MP3 Player... if you guys can help me figure this or how to get ahold of HP out, I'll +rep the living **** out of ya.

Note: I don't take kind to my stuff messing up to where I can't fix it, I'm also sick and too hot for my liking, this amplifies it, bear with me. But yeah, I'm getting an mp3 player with an SD slot after this, **** using this thing.

EDIT: I think resetting the stupid thing to its default settings (like when I got it, like formatting and doing a clean install of Windows or whatev) will help fix it, but I have searched the piece of crap and ActiveSync but to no avail, take a look into this.

jdbnsn
08-12-2007, 07:52 PM
It sounds kinda like the files are being loaded onto the palm's memory rather than the SD card. I hated my old Pocket PC, Palm OS is way more reliable.

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Huh... it seems as though it's glitched or I've gotten a virus or something of the sort, I dunno. I'm probably gonna mail it in for repairs or reset the memory or something. I'm still open to all suggestions.

jdbnsn
08-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Before you mail it I would try a hard reset, that often fixes the problems.

Luke122
08-12-2007, 09:09 PM
I second the hard reset.. I've had some really weird issues with my ppc too, and hard reset usually solves it. :)

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
I tried that, a few times. The one where you hit the button on it. I tried a lot of things, as many as I could think of. If anybody can find out how to reset the thing entirely (like a fresh install of Windows type thing or a resetting of an mp3 player to its "fresh from box" state), I'll +rep the **** outta ya. This is the one weird thing that's happened to it...

crenn
08-12-2007, 09:37 PM
That's a soft reset. To "hard" reset press the power button and the reset button at the same time. It should restore it to factory defaults. Even if that doesn't work you can goto: Library>Menu>Open File
Then you can find your way around and add items to your playlist. I have the same problem so you're not alone.

btw, I use a imate JasJam

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Ohh, I'll try that too. I tried to get a way, I have to "open file" and it does up to one album/folder. It never did add files to the playlist, you have to either get a lot and remove some or just change albums, I'll try that real quick, and even if it doesn't work, you all get +rep.

EDIT: It didn't work. :'( Through a wall or to the factory it goes.

crenn
08-12-2007, 09:46 PM
I found this on another forum:

HP iPAQ rx4200/4500
1.Press and hold the OK button and Rotate Screen Button
2.While holding this button, use the stylus to lightly press the Reset button on the HP iPAQ until the device restart.
3.When the HP IPAQ restart, release all of the buttons, and then remove the stylus from the reset button

http://foro.todopocketpc.com/showthread.php?t=149804

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks, I'll try that too.

EDIT: Still not cooperating, I'll mess around with it a little more and then let you guys know what happens. Unfortunately it's got a knob on the one part and I think you press tha tin for the okay button, and it's a little messed up from when I tripped...

crenn
08-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I'll research which buttons.

EDIT:

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handhelds/0,39031442,39270004p-5,00.htm

The dial and that top button with the X in a box.... I think

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks.

EDIT: If I don't get it to work, HP doesn't take it back to fix/replace (I'll never buy anything of theirs again), and I can't/decide not to eBay it, I'ma install Linux on it and maybe mod it somehow.

crenn
08-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Sorry that I can't help more than that. I'd get HP to repair it. Because if you can't hard reset it... there is a problem.

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 10:05 PM
It's no problem, you tried. I'm gonna contact HP when I get home, and I hope they are reasonable about it. It's got a minor crack on the one corner where that knob/button is and hopefully they fix it with that... if not, ahh well, delete all personal info and such and eBay it is.

crenn
08-12-2007, 10:15 PM
I found out, you're pressing the wrong buttons!

Press the button with the x in the box and the button with the "refresh" symbol. The top button and button just above the power button! Then do the reset. I just read the manual!

EDIT: Refer to this:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00799422/c00799422.pdf

Page 7 (13 of 57) shows the device buttons. You need to press 7 and 10 together and the reset button.

And page 17 (23 of 57) for instructions to hard reset!

EDIT: btw, they call it a factory reset

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks. So they had it in the manual? When I looked through the thing they didn't have any of that listed, that or it was my dyslexia causing it, lol. If I can, I'll up your reputation again. Thanks!

EDIT: ... and it worked! Whoohoo! Yeah! *Is excited*

crenn
08-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Hehe, I think I need the rep xD

But you're welcome. So it worked?

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Yep!

crenn
08-12-2007, 10:31 PM
YES!!!! Did it fix the WMP problem?

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Working on that now, at the moment it doesn't look like it... if it doesn't, I'll try resyncing the music and if that doesn't work, it's shippin' time.

crenn
08-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Well, if it makes you feel better, I have the same problem.... I'll google for answers after lunch.

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Okay, thanks... and it didn't work, it stalled at the "Adding new files part" and before that the bar didn't go all the way across on the thing before that. Infernal contraption. What model do you have?

crenn
08-12-2007, 10:38 PM
iMate JasJam.

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I'll google it and take a look at it. Up until now I've been quite happy with mine...

EDIT: Ahh, it's a phone too, lol. Cool. I would have gotten the next model up, but I didn't have another $200 to fork over for it. I would love to have a built in GPS in the thing, but oh well.

crenn
08-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Found the solution, delete the MSMETADATA folder on your storage card.

Found clues from here: http://www.mombu.com/microsoft/pocket-pc-multimedia/t-updating-library-from-memory-card-596831.html

And I tested it, it works fine.

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Kk, after this WoW battle.

xRyokenx
08-12-2007, 10:53 PM
That did it, thanks man... I'll remember that one. I can't give more rep but I'll add you to my buddies if that helps. :D

crenn
08-13-2007, 12:06 AM
lol, that will be fine ^-^