PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 2004 in Vista x64?

ownaginatious
08-14-2007, 10:41 PM
I recently installed Vista Ultimate x64 because I knew I'd have to eventually, and I'm actually quite surprised that it doesn't suck like it did when it was in beta. Well anyway, I installed the best game ever (UT2K4) and it seems to run a bit slower than it did in XP :( I updated it with this new "x64 patch", but it seems to run at pretty much the same speed as it did in 32-bit mode. I also changed the compatibility in the shortcut to disable visual themes and desktop composition while playing the game. Are there any other tweaks I should be doing to get this game running super fast like it used to? I used to be able to run some assault maps like CommandAndConquer-V3 (it's a custom map, but maybe someone heard of it :p) at like pretty much full speed on all settings maxed, but now I only get around 19 fps on default settings...

Anyhelp would be much appreciated :)

My system stats are:

AMD Athelon 3700+ Socket 939
3 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT graphics card

P.S. I didn't do any other tweaks to the system besides disabling system restore, and whatever I mentioned above.

crenn
08-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Using vista is going to take a hit to performance in itself. Have you installed DirectX9.0c so Dx10 doesn't have to emulate it?

ownaginatious
08-15-2007, 04:06 AM
No, I haven't installed it... I didn't know that DX10 would have to emulate it lol. Would it really make a difference though, and would the UT2004 program even acknowledge that it is there? I guess I'll try it and report back how it works out :p

crenn
08-15-2007, 05:09 AM
It makes a fair amount of difference, because when you emulate things, a bit of the CPU resources get taken up. And UT2k4 is CPU-limited.

I'd ultimately say get a new dual-core CPU ^-^;

ownaginatious
08-15-2007, 12:06 PM
I might as well upgrade to a dual core CPU for socket 939 AMD, that crap is really inexpensive now :p But in regards to that directX 9.0c thing, I think it worked! Thanks for the tip :)

crenn
08-15-2007, 03:38 PM
No problem. And enjoy UT2k4!

progbuddy
08-17-2007, 10:48 AM
It makes a fair amount of difference, because when you emulate things, a bit of the CPU resources get taken up. And UT2k4 is CPU-limited.

I'd ultimately say get a new dual-core CPU ^-^;

Yeah.