PDA

View Full Version : Flash HDD

slytherock
08-15-2007, 02:09 PM
A nice review about the future. Less power consumption And hopefully silence :) (http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/13/flash_based_hard_drives_cometh/)

crenn
08-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Good in theory, bad in practice.

GrimReality
08-16-2007, 05:39 PM
I'd like to see how they stack up against desktop HDD's, particularly the 10k and 15k RPM drives.

But yeah, they're not going to be worth looking at for about another year or two. Just too expensive and too small.

crenn
08-16-2007, 07:02 PM
I'd like to see how they stack up against desktop HDD's, particularly the 10k and 15k RPM drives.

But yeah, they're not going to be worth looking at for about another year or two. Just too expensive and too small.

10k and 15k RPM drives would be faster especially in a large RAID, however, the latency would be larger. The technology is here, just it needs to mature more.

progbuddy
08-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Solid-state disks have been around for a while. It would be faster in certain applications, but SCSI and RAID have their own good points.

They are also selling them on newegg.

OvRiDe
08-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Solid-state disks have been around for a while. It would be faster in certain applications, but SCSI and RAID have their own good points.

Its true, we looked into geting a 2GB SCSI Flash drive back in '98 for one of our servers, at the time is was almost $10K. So instead we bought a half a terabyte in 9GB SCSIs and RAIDED the heck out of them for just a little less money. :D

With the limited read/write cycles of flash ram, I am still leery of investing in them for the moment. Eventually they may overcome the issue, so far they have made vast improvements over the '98 version we looked at.

What I would like to see is what happens if they RAID up a few of them in a nice no parity stripe set and see what the performance works out to be. :D

Its neat to think that possibly in the future between this and ION Cooling, there could be completely silent PC's, that don't have to sacrifice speed for passive cooling.