PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Bricked USB drive....ugh

Raz1r
08-16-2007, 11:38 PM
I have a PNY Attaché 512mb USB Flash drive that I bought for school. The problem is that Windows now thinks that it is an optical drive. When I try to "Explore" or "Open" it, all I get is a message that says: "Please insert a disk into Drive J:".

I've tried everything I can think of, Format, Populate drive (under properties), Eject, AutoPlay.

I think Mac OSX on the school computers is what screwed it up. But I was told that I could use it to transfer files between the OSes. What gives?

Spawn-Inc
08-17-2007, 02:58 AM
from what i know you can only use w window's formatted drive with windows and mac with mac. i'm not sure if this will work but try plugging in the flash drive then click Start>right click "My computer">Manage>Disk managenment and try to format it in there. i'm not sure if it will make a difference or not but it helped me with my new hdd.

calumc
08-17-2007, 04:01 PM
could be some registry values, have you tried it on another windoze machine?

Sakker
08-17-2007, 08:15 PM
I use my external hdd (and several others) with both OSX and XP, along with my USB flash drive, so that should not be the problem at all. I believe OSX can run FAT and has a problem with NTFS.

crenn
08-18-2007, 01:36 AM
OSX can read NTFS fine, however, it has limited writing capabilities for NTFS.

If you want to use a drive for OSX and XP, you must use the FAT system. Normally, all USB thumb drives are formatted in FAT.