PDA

View Full Version : TGS's Matrix Challenge!

jdbnsn
08-18-2007, 10:47 PM
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/TBCS_Group/imagispire/tgscontest1bjpg.jpg

Okay boys and girls, it's time once again to show this community what you're made of. That's right, it's another contest giveaway from forum regular TGS (thegreatsatan). Sharpen your pencils, draw the shades, put on your pyramid hats and let the creative mojo flow. If your worklog entry proves superior you will be the proud owner of the Matrix Casemod with Sentinel Creature by none other than TGS himself. He will also be including a photocopy of PC Enthusiast magazine where the mod was featured. Wow, you could own a piece of history :eek: . Here is a glance at the goodie...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/TBCS/1450Matrix1.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/TBCS/8421Matrix2.jpg

And here are the details straight from the man's keyboard...

Time to give something away. The contest entails modding a specific component. Some examples would be:

Fan
Heatsink
Reservoir
Case window
DVD drive
Floppy drive, etc.

This is not a case modding contest.

When the component is complete it must still work. It must do the job is was made for. The member must explain why his/her mod should be a new version that could be sold in stores. In other words, if you put a window on a CD drive you must tell me why you think manufacturers should put windows on their CD drives. "Because it's cool", will not suffice. Why will people want to buy one of these? How will it help show off their case?

All entries must have worklogs here at TBCS and they must be new projects and new worklogs for this contest, no old mods will be accepted. All participants must be TBCS members with at least 50 posts and in good standing and only one entry per person is allowed.

The winner will receive my [empty] Matrix Case complete with Sentinel creature. I will also include a color photocopy of the PC Enthusiast magazine, where the case appeared. I will ship anywhere in the world, FREE. Contest starts on August 19th. It will end on Thursday, Sept 20th at 11:59 PM Central time.

The contest will be judged by me. The results of which will not reflect badly on TBCS or its staff, it just shows the giving nature of one of it's many members. I'm asking permission to hold it here. This is my favorite site and I want to keep giving back to the members that give me so much.

TGS

On you marks....Get set....MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

xRyokenx
08-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Double Post?

Nice case... I'll try to find time aside from school to actually enter in a challenge and not say I'm going to "try" to... we shall see...

D1337
08-18-2007, 11:26 PM
It must do the job is was made for. The member must explain why his/her mod should be a new version that could be sold in stores

those two sentences make it a little more challenging...
+rep to TGS when he posts in this thread

ill try something, but school starts on monday :( which means.. ill sketch in school!

jdbnsn
08-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Oh, forgot to mention. Since nobody knew about this other than admins, as far as I'm concerned staff are eligible unless TGS objects. Obviously admins are not, sorry Paul.

TheGreatSatan
08-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Staff is fine by me.

I'll also throw in the Matrix Screen [saver] Locker on CD. It has that cool falling numbers/letters/symbols

jdbnsn
08-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Here is a glance at the screensaver in progress, it's awesome.

Note: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, mousepad, and anything else in this pic other than the mod are not included in the prizes.

http://kennethkirby.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/rain2.jpg.w560h373.jpg

TheGreatSatan
08-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Also, PSU's are NOT allowable mods as they are too dangerous to be poking around in.

D1337
08-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Why are you donating it for the contest anyway? It's a very nice matching set-up, and unless you build a second matrix case then your gonna most likely have to re-mod your monitor,mousepad and what not.

TheGreatSatan
08-19-2007, 12:23 AM
I threw out the mousepad and mouse. The monitor just had a sticker on it which I peeled off. The keyboard is setting aside

Spawn-Inc
08-19-2007, 12:42 AM
i'm assuming we can't say/submit something like i'm redesigning the intel core 2 duo to have 20 core's. so it has to be within todays manufacturing abilities?

TheGreatSatan
08-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Exactly, as will be proven by your worklogs.

Eclecticos
08-19-2007, 01:11 AM
So when we start a Log. .
Should it read TGS Challenge: Followed by the item chosen to mod?

I think i'd be easier to differentiate the Entry's from the regular moddin' going on.
Or do you plan to just pick one out of the bunch?

rendermandan
08-19-2007, 01:16 AM
good question Ecl, and does it have to be a standalone mod or can it be part of a larger mod?

D1337
08-19-2007, 01:31 AM
I would like to say thanks AGAIN to TGS and everyone involved who set the contest up. It turns out that a cd drive im using parts from, had my win xp installer disk in it.. Which ive been looking for, since 2004! so happy even if i dont win :D

TheGreatSatan
08-19-2007, 10:08 AM
So when we start a Log. .
Should it read TGS Challenge: Followed by the item chosen to mod?

That's fine if you want to, but I really don't care. Either way, just post a link to it in here so I can keep track of the entries.

does it have to be a standalone mod or can it be part of a larger mod?

It can a part of a larger mod, but it has to have it's own separate worklog thread.

Cymae
08-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Bah humbug... Without the facilities for a mod job, looks like i'm out of this one.. :( But how long are you allowing anyway?

Spawn-Inc
08-19-2007, 06:00 PM
^^^^^^ i don't beleive you actually have to do it, do you?

D1337
08-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Bah humbug... Without the facilities for a mod job, looks like i'm out of this one.. :( But how long are you allowing anyway?

Thursday, Sept 20th at 11:59 PM

jdbnsn
08-19-2007, 08:04 PM
^^^^^^ i don't beleive you actually have to do it, do you?

Yes, it reqiures an actual worklog.

SgtM
08-19-2007, 08:15 PM
One of these days I'll actually enter a modders challenge. Too much to do with moving n schtuff. +rep to TGS.. he's the man.

Best of luck to all who enter!

Spawn-Inc
08-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Yes, it reqiures an actual worklog.

i know it requires a worklog but lets say i wanted to redesign a dvd player to have a window do i actually have to do it or just write about how i would do it?

One of these days I'll actually enter a modders challenge. Too much to do with moving n schtuff. +rep to TGS.. he's the man.

Best of luck to all who enter!

yes good idea +rep to TGS and +rep for reminding me. EDIT: am i banned from giving SgtM rep or somethin? i will rep you in another thread.

Killdrath
08-20-2007, 02:25 AM
A few more posts, and I'll be ready for the next contest...

p0Pe
08-20-2007, 07:08 AM
i dont quite get it, is the monitor included?... a bit confused :D

but great contest!.. to bad i havent posted enough:/... better get going then

TheGreatSatan
08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
It's the just the empty case with the Sentinel creature coming out. I will also give you the screen saver on CD.

You MUST DO A WORKLOG for an actual project. This is a modding contest not a write-up only. If you want to mod a DVD drive then DO IT, post a worklog and tell me why it'll sell in stores that way.

Does everyone understand? You have to actually mod.

TheGreatSatan
08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Also, you just have to have 50 posts upon completion of the mod. If you're new you've got alomost a month.

Killdrath
08-21-2007, 12:45 PM
** Shamelessly boosting post count, because he started his mod last night **

I'll start a thread on my project tonight, but I gotta make a trip to radio shack LOL. My project is pretty simple (but useful), so I'm finding ways to improve it. It also serves as practice for me, since my upcoming mod project will have a similar mod in it.

jdbnsn
08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
** Shamelessly boosting post count, because he started his mod last night **

We'll forgive you this time, it's for a good cause.

TheGreatSatan
08-21-2007, 06:03 PM
I just hope there's more than one entry.....

Killdrath
08-21-2007, 06:06 PM
<smack talk>Mine will win anyways, but I hope for some competition as well.</smack talk>

There. Maybe that will get someone to step up to the plate. :banana:

Killdrath
08-22-2007, 03:50 AM
OK guys, not the hardest of mods, but I had fun doing it. Check the worklog I threw up in the "Your Mods" section.

My girlfriend has, over the last several days, changed from "your insane" to "Oooh, when you're done, can you do one for me? I like THAT fan controller."

TheGreatSatan
08-22-2007, 08:43 AM
If you're the only one competing...I might as well cancel this

Killdrath
08-22-2007, 10:35 AM
I would agree. If I'm going to try and win something, I want it to be a fair competition.

Still. It was a fun mod to do.

Dilphat
08-22-2007, 01:13 PM
I would join, but that's a lot of posts i got to put up. Plus, I really don't have that much ideas going through my head, all thats in it right now are "FINALS FINALS FINALS!! MUST STUDY!!" haha

TheGreatSatan
08-22-2007, 09:02 PM
How about 10 useful posts?

p0Pe
08-23-2007, 04:00 AM
im going to compete as well... just have to find time to make the thing im thinking of:)... how about make people who want to compete write their names inhere so you could keep count of it...
i have a hard time looking for worklogs and guessing if someone is competing :D

but im in for sure!... want that case:P just sketching the thing right now...
is it alowed to make a "work in progress" worklog?

p0Pe
08-23-2007, 04:01 AM
I would agree. If I'm going to try and win something, I want it to be a fair competition.

Still. It was a fun mod to do.

if i get the thing made it would be serius competition imo:banana:

TheGreatSatan
08-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Well two is better than one, that's for sure

rendermandan
08-23-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm considering entering my Iris window opening in the contest.

Bucko
08-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Been afk for a couple of days.

Yes I will be entering and doing a mod for this. I'll post up a worklog once finished and before the deadline.

p0Pe
08-23-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm considering entering my Iris window opening in the contest.

i love the iris but what will you be modding?... a fan duct?

rendermandan
08-23-2007, 01:02 PM
well, maybe I'm not understanding. I was considering the iris as a case window mod.

p0Pe
08-23-2007, 01:38 PM
well, maybe I'm not understanding. I was considering the iris as a case window mod.

oh offcourse... my bad:)... should be great!

.Maleficus.
08-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Are we only allowed 1 entry?

TheGreatSatan
08-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Yes, just one

Omega
08-24-2007, 08:05 PM
I Might sketch something up in my notebook and make it in shop class (assuming I can get the teacher to be less of a nazi... >_>)

If I do, you'll get a full worklog, eith every sketch, picture and so forth.

Crazy Buddhist
08-25-2007, 10:49 AM
TGS big up :up:

Great challenge. Like the fact that its got to be done for real. I might try and enter something in here if I can come up with a bright idea and get down to work. :)

You are clearly a scholar and a gentleman. +rep

CrazyB

Any confusion about the prize may be arising from this:

Note: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, mousepad, and anything else in this pic other than the mod are included in the prizes.

jdbnsn
08-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Doh! My bad, that was supposed to say "are not included".

Good catch CB, thanks for pointing that out.

solja
08-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Doh! My bad, that was supposed to say "are not included".

Good catch CB, thanks for pointing that out.

no no no cant change it now heh, if I enter I'll take the case, the monitor, the sofa, the big screen tv (if you have one), and the washer/dryer.

but on a more serious note, TGS this has got to be my favorite mod that you have made, and I think you are one hell of a modder and one hell of a person if you are able to give up a work of art such as this. +rep

Crazy Buddhist
08-25-2007, 05:14 PM
... one hell of a person if you are able to give up a work of art such as this. +rep

It's an interesting pont. One of the things about being an artist is that you want to move on to the next work of art. I haven't finished deskpooter but am contemplating selling her when I have because now I have made her and nearly completed the work of art my interest is somewhat diluted.

I also know I will get 5 times what I paid for the components and spent on it because if I finish the cabinetwork and the PC to the standards I am capable of she will be quite powerfull and very beautiful. And unique.

I do however have an identical twin cabinet in the next room which might quite enjoy having about $3,000 worth of brand new PC hardware squeezed inside ;)

Bucko
08-30-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm about to start my mod for this and I have a query on the no PSU modding.

I don't want to give too much away, but I will be using a PSU as part of the mod. I want to modify the wiring just to neaten it up for what I want to do. The PSU will get opened up, but I know what I'm doing there and it's only to trim down wiring.

The PSU is just the power for the mod, not the mod itself, so if no PSU mods are allowed at all, I'll just leave the full wairing until after the contest.

Nick_Black
08-31-2007, 12:24 PM
I think I might enter..

I'm thinking more water :D:D

sounds like a great competition...

just gotta wait for my next paycheqe (not that it'll be expensive.. just I'm flat out broke right now)

TheGreatSatan
08-31-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm about to start my mod for this and I have a query on the no PSU modding.

Edit:
\
No PSU's

DocNitrous
09-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Also, PSU's are NOT allowable mods as they are too dangerous to be poking around in.

too sad...

:(

TheGreatSatan
09-02-2007, 12:21 AM
20 days left...

Bucko
09-02-2007, 09:48 PM
No PSU's

Fair enough. I will use a basically standard PSU for the purposes of this mod.

I know this is meant to be an accessory mod, not a case mod contest, but I hope I'm still eligible with my mod that is based on a PC Case that is being modded, but not to hold a PC.

Eclecticos
09-09-2007, 02:39 AM
I will submit my entry as soon as I have enough worklog pictures collected
. .where you can actually see what it is I'm building a prototype of.

Crazy Buddhist
09-09-2007, 04:53 AM
As my current condition precludes entry I am going to just describe what I planned. It will stave off my boredom for ... ooh ... at least a minute.

I intended to mod a power button by giving it a custom paint job so that it read (in really tiny letters obviously) as follows:

"if something goes wrong and you don't know what to do just hold me down for ten seconds and all your problems will go away"

I think this would be a truly usefull and saleable feature:

- informative
- would empower even "absolutely new to computer" users to disempower their computers
- would therefore massively reduce "noob nuissance calling"

because, as someone once said, "not a lot of people know that"!

:)

TheGreatSatan
09-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Due to some of my own timing issues I am extending the due date of the contest to September 30th at 11:59 p.m. Central time. You have till then to complete your entry.

Dilphat
09-15-2007, 01:26 AM
As my current condition precludes entry I am going to just describe what I planned. It will stave off my boredom for ... ooh ... at least a minute.

I intended to mod a power button by giving it a custom paint job so that it read (in really tiny letters obviously) as follows:

"if something goes wrong and you don't know what to do just hold me down for ten seconds and all your problems will go away"

I think this would be a truly usefull and saleable feature:

- informative
- would empower even "absolutely new to computer" users to disempower their computers
- would therefore massively reduce "noob nuissance calling"

because, as someone once said, "not a lot of people know that"!

:)

wow, haha. that is hecka hilarious, but so awesome

TheGreatSatan
09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Is anyone still competing?

xRyokenx
09-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah, do a search for "TGS Challenge" or something and you'll find a bunch of threads, lol. If school weren't occupying my sanity, and if I had the cash, I'd do something cool... even if it's just a simple paint job (like I have planned, plain black is booooooring!).

NightrainSrt4
09-18-2007, 10:24 PM
I was going to try to make something cool with a floppy drive. I know alot of people don't use them, but it is the one component that when it isn't there and I NEED it, I really NEED it.

I mean common, raid drivers, bios updates, and the most commonly used purpose in my case Memtest86.

But I couldn't think of anything that was useful other than a ribbon to usb cable and enclosure for internal floppies and maybe a paintjob and custom memtest86 logos. Sounded useful to me seeing how my mobo doesn't have the connections for internal floppy as with many others.

But I just never got around to it.

Maybe I will mod my hp external floppy drive with something to that effect. But unfortunately it wont be for the competition.

Crazy Buddhist
09-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Sorry TGS but the hospital OT is refusing to let me actually DO my mod (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136114&postcount=57) on the nursing station PC .. so mine has to remain a virtual and therefore insubmissable entry .. but xRyoken is right ... the good folk are rising to the challenge ... if I have time and energy later I will dig out a link to the threads and post them here as an aid :)

Dilphat
09-21-2007, 01:34 AM
if i had the cash i would have. but cash is something im really low on. why;d i get the grandma who cant cook? why i say why? haha. but yeah TGS, people are still in it

Crazy Buddhist
09-21-2007, 03:14 AM
TGS Challenge: Identified entries:

Eclecticos: Roto-Barrell Fan (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10604&highlight=TGS+challenge)

Bucko: External Storage (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10396&highlight=TGS+challenge)

Killdrath: Super Stealth (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10188&highlight=TGS+challenge)

pOPe: Back to Back 2 x HDD watercooling (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10845)

If I missed you send me a PM with the thread and I will add your entry to the list :)

EDIT pOPe added.

TheGreatSatan
09-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Ahhh....thanks for the summary post. Six days remain. pOPE? you got time...

p0Pe
09-24-2007, 07:46 PM
im of to norway on diving vecation wednsday:/... so im not sure, i only have tomorrow to do it :S but ill sure give it a try:D

p0Pe
09-25-2007, 12:08 PM
my entry:
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10845

TheGreatSatan
10-03-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm still deciding...so give me a little longer

p0Pe
10-04-2007, 02:55 AM
okay:)... was wondering if there still were life in this competition:D
god to here your still here;)
looking forward to see a winner:p

Eclecticos
10-07-2007, 02:07 AM
The suspense is killing me.
I figure even if I don't win . .I still had lots of fun planning and executing a preddy sweet fan mod.

p0Pe
10-08-2007, 02:00 AM
yeee me2 :p im just glad my mod acually worked as planned:D and it looks pretty sweet xD

Killdrath
10-09-2007, 01:51 AM
I accomplished my main goal... win or lose, I did a change that could prove useful to others in their own mods.

p0Pe
10-09-2007, 04:38 AM
I accomplished my main goal... win or lose, I did a change that could prove useful to others in their own mods.

yeee... as were the main purpose:)
GL all:D.. think we did a great job:p

TheGreatSatan
10-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Bucko, Update your worklog so I can decide already

p0Pe
10-09-2007, 03:52 PM
ohhh:(... saw that you had posted and thought that it was the winner desicion:P

Bucko
10-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Bucko, Update your worklog so I can decide already

Sorry TGS! It has been done!
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?p=145187#post145187

TheGreatSatan
10-11-2007, 08:40 AM
The winner is....

Bucko

Your idea was great and your execution looked stock. I could easily see this as a file swapping device for all users. It'll be like iPods. Everyone will have have one and those who don't will want one in a different color. As mentioned above a handle on top would have been the icing on the cake. Congradulations!!

2nd place:

Eclecticos: Roto-Barrell Fan

3rd place:

pOPE

p0Pe
10-11-2007, 12:12 PM
but they are already invented:(

but congratz to bucko:) its a damn fine build allright!

rendermandan
10-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Congrats Bucko!!!

Although, Props to all who made submissions to this, You all did a great job!

Eclecticos
10-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Woot! 2nd Place. Congrats Bucko that External storage thing is stylin' Great Job!

calumc
10-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I object to this decision. Bucko's mod was great but WTF is he gonna do with another case?!?!?!

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1236/cameradump064xw3.jpg

SgtM
10-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Congrats to all 3 of you. You came up with 3 very unique products beneficial to any computer user. I don't envy TGS at all for having to make the winning decision.

TheGreatSatan
10-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I object to this decision. Bucko's mod was great but WTF is he gonna do with another case?!?!?!

I would've loved to ship it in the U.S. too. That shipping is gonna COST $$$$

jdbnsn
10-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm very impressed with all of your work, and congrats to Bucko for a very cool design! I was actually wondering some time ago how to build somthing similar, maybe now I'll have to order one when you go into production. ;)

Thanks again to a shining TBCS member TGS for hosting yet again a fun and inspiration driving contest! You the man !

Bucko
10-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks everyone! I am chuffed to say the least!
I'll be looking forward to getting it and having a good look and play with it.

Scotty
10-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Congrats man :)

TheGreatSatan
10-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I'll hopefully get it shipped by Mon or Tues.

NightrainSrt4
10-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Congrats man! -Bucko

But I will tell you one thing...that case better go in a glass case, or be used in such a manner such a case deserves. That is one awesome case. If i see you rip it apart or anything of the like (which i know you wont :twisted:) I will...

Grab a migrating whale and hitch a ride to the down under, tame a wild kangaroo and come hopping to your door only to beat you down with a hand crafted aussie boomerang.

Soo please for your sake and the animals...don't ruin such a wonderful case...please!

I know you wont, your awesome, just figured I had to say something...just had motivation to warn you for some reason. :think:

Crazy Buddhist
10-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Congrats on the win Bucko. Very nice piece of work dude. +rep to all of you for entering.

CrazyB