PDA

View Full Version : Windoze crashes...

.Maleficus.
08-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Wow, what a surprise...

So anyways, my system crashes just after startup. Computer boots, Windows loads, but then about a minute later it restarts. The mouse turns into the hourglass whenever it's on the Start menu or bottom menu, like it's trying to load something but can't. It just started this recently (within the last few days) but now I can't use Windows at all for more than that minute right after booting. I was thinking it might be having too many things starting on startup, but I've had waaay more things before... Ideas?

Mitternacht
08-19-2007, 05:06 PM
start in safe mode and try to get to the task manager, if you can and see what its using. Might be something trying to use all of your memory.

D1337
08-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Most obvious would be that a cable got loose, i would unplug and replug your essentials then try it again (with the side off). Then try one more time replugging.

The old gateway i have, is very touchy if anything inside the case happens and often makes me triple check to make sure things are secure.

second i would use msconfig to remove unwanted or unknown start-up programs, could be a virus or whatnot.

.Maleficus.
08-19-2007, 05:10 PM
start in safe mode and try to get to the task manager, if you can and see what its using. Might be something trying to use all of your memory.
I started it normally and got to the task manager and tried ending tasks as fast as I could, but it still rebooted. I think I might try disabling all that crap from starting up and going from there.

.Maleficus.
08-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Most obvious would be that a cable got loose, i would unplug and replug your essentials then try it again (with the side off). Then try one more time replugging.

The old gateway i have, is very touchy if anything inside the case happens and often makes me triple check to make sure things are secure.

second i would use msconfig to remove unwanted or unknown start-up programs, could be a virus or whatnot.
I had Fedora running solid for 8 hours while I was at work, so no cables.

I started up in Diagnostic Mode to no avail.

Ugh... maybe it's time to update (notice how I didn't say upgrade) to Vista... Or reformat again... I mean jeeze, I only had to do this like what, 2 months ago.. At least I have all my backups sitting on my desk still...

Eclecticos
08-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Recently installed any hardware or updated any Drivers?
If so. . remove it, or roll back the drivers, and see if it still hangs, and or reboots.

Greco101
08-19-2007, 11:47 PM
power supply?

Do surge protectors ever go bad?

I dunno, I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Spawn-Inc
08-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Recently installed any hardware or updated any Drivers?
If so. . remove it, or roll back the drivers, and see if it still hangs, and or reboots.

i agree with above, if you have installed something recently try to do a system restore or roll back.

crenn
08-20-2007, 02:07 AM
Download HJT: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php
Run it and save the system log. Put the contents of the log into a post. If there is anything lurking in your computer, I'll be able to pick it up.

.Maleficus.
08-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Download HJT: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php
Run it and save the system log. Put the contents of the log into a post. If there is anything lurking in your computer, I'll be able to pick it up.
Can I do it in Safe Mode, because I can no longer even get to the desktop. If it works in Safe Mode, I'll give it a shot.

It's definitely not a new hardware issue, since I haven't installed any new hardware since my mobo swap a few months ago. I don't think it's drivers... I don't ever update them... Could be though, and if it is, then I have no idea what I'm going to to.

System Restore: Duh...... How do I always forget it's there? I'm going to System Restore and see if that gets me started again.... Thanks guys, and +rep to all of you.

.Maleficus.
08-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Ok, just for a little update, I did a Repair Install and it seems to be working (for now that is, it's been almost 2 minutes without a crash). I swear though, when I get Vista, it's getting a 50GB partition for my few Windows only apps, and games. I'm sick of all the crashes. I've NEVER had these kinds of problems with ANY Linux distro I've used.

crenn
08-20-2007, 11:16 PM
You must be just having bad luck ^-^;

My quad core computer has only ever crashed once! And I caused that problem, not windows xD