PDA

View Full Version : How much ram with vista?

haha49
08-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Ok i currently dual boot with windows xp pro 32 bit and vista home premium 64 bit

now i currently have

core 2 e6600
Gskill dr800 2x 1gig
evga 8600 gts superclocked

and i was wondwering if its worth it to upgrade to another 2 sticks of gskill ram or will the preformance not be worth it.. i currently use xp for my older games and vista for dx10 games...

Scotty
08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
As it's 64 bit Vista will love 4gigs.
Even 32 bit can be improved with having 4gb installed even thought it can't access it all.
The performance increase in Vista will be a good bit i expect, not some much in XP. But your graphics card will limit you in games.

xRyokenx
08-19-2007, 08:10 PM
At least 2gb if you want it to run... it takes about 600-700mbs RAM even when idling. It's amazing that they sell **** with 512mb RAM and Vista... idiots.

Scotty
08-19-2007, 08:16 PM
512? i've seen 256mb in a vista machine :o
My mate bought one with Vista ultimate with 768MB haha, i lol'd. He couldn't do anything really.

I've seen some funny things with Vista, the more RAM you have the more it uses whilst idling. But when a program needs more RAM vista gives it some. really makes no sense atall.

haha49
08-20-2007, 02:22 AM
My mate bought one with Vista ultimate with 768MB haha, i lol'd. He couldn't do anything really.

I've seen some funny things with Vista, the more RAM you have the more it uses whilst idling. But when a program needs more RAM vista gives it some. really makes no sense atall.

well the more you put in the more it uses for caching but once you start useing a program that needs it's souposed to transfer it over.. i noticed that with 2 gigs it seems to eat my ram.. 8600 gt superclocked isnt that bad of a card for 200 bucks..

Exley
08-20-2007, 11:24 AM
i didnt have a problem running vista with 1 gig for a while, but eventully i put in 2 so i could run my games at higher resolutions.

progbuddy
08-21-2007, 11:39 AM

I thought the bare minimum for RAM was 512 MB :?

Vista is a graphics hog.

It attracts you with it's flashy looks, but underneath all its shiny coatings and its pretty programs, it's the worst OS ever.

Luke122
08-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I run Vista Business on this laptop with 768mb.. startup sucks, but it runs fine once it (finally) starts.

The Source by Circuit City (aka Radioshack) sells some laptops with Vista Ultimate and 512mb. AND.. if you want to upgrade to 1gb you have to SHIP IT TO THE MANUFACTURER, and WAIT 2-4 WEEKS. (or they say that you void the warranty!!!!)

Yeah, right. I'll get right on that.. thanks. :D

"Mom, go to Memory Express to buy a laptop."

Scotty
08-21-2007, 11:51 AM
I thought the bare minimum for RAM was 512 MB :?

Vista is a graphics hog.

It attracts you with it's flashy looks, but underneath all its shiny coatings and its pretty programs, it's the worst OS ever.

Dunno. But it was for sale in the worlds worst PC store... PC World.

learning2mod
08-21-2007, 01:26 PM
I ran Vista Business Premium on my PC for a couple of day to see how it was. IT IS A MEMORY HOG !!!

@HAHA49 I WOULD FOR SURE BUY TWO MORE STICKS ;)

Luke122
08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Windows ME was the worst OS ever.

Vista is actually pretty good! If you havent played with it since RC1, it's WAY better. As time goes by, it gets patched and updated, and continues to improve.

I'm currently running it on this system.. Inspiron 8600. 1.6ghz M processor, 768mb ram, and Vista Business is fine. Startup is a bit slower than I'd like, but I can live with it. :D

Quakken
08-22-2007, 06:00 PM
All i want is an OS that isn't too flashy, looks nice, and uses as little resources as possible but still gets the job done. And i want it to run games as well as windows XP.

I want linux with full windows gaming capability... too bad microsoft is a whore who loves to keep everything to itself (learn to share a little, billy).

I don't really care about the see through panes. I don't care about the fancy 3D desktop thing or whatever. I don't care about the flash windows vista come with. I don't really even care about the search function (you just have to smart about where you put stuff).

I really just want DirectX 10 capability for XP when it comes out. Too bad microsoft is a whore.

haha49
08-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Ok.. i currently haveing problems with my extra ram i have to turn memory overlap on to be able to use 4gigs instead of 3 but the problem is vista wont boot unless i remove my pci wirelesscard.. man what a pain i need internet but i want to use that extra gig i paid for..

i like me.. was better then 98

i run

intel e6600
4 gigs ddr800
evga 8600 gts superclocker 256mb
4 hardrives
2 dvd burners
asus p5b
dlinke dwl-503b wireless card (since the usb ones i have dont work with vista)

Crazy Buddhist
08-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Dunno. But it was for sale in the worlds worst PC store... PC World.

PCWorld: The Worst of both worlds: inflated prices and the worst service on earth. If you are really lucky you get a sales rep who used a calculator at school and therefore has "some knowledge" of computers.

Yuck.

Crazy Buddhist
08-24-2007, 09:25 AM
ME was dropped from the delivery room table, on it's head, after having been conceived in the minds of programmers who were on a mushroom/acid induced stasis..

-Jeremy

I think you may find they dropped the delivery room table on the baby's head.

xRyokenx
08-24-2007, 11:02 AM
I had ME on my old rig and that thing crashed and was just total crap... I put XP on it and it ran like a charm, except now I"m gonna install Linux when I find the time and play around with that... but I do have to agree, Millennium Edition sucks ass.

Crazy Buddhist
08-24-2007, 11:13 AM
... but I do have to agree, ME sucks ass.

Maybe you want to re-phrase that a little?

xRyokenx
08-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Lol. Probably, but I'm not a neanderthal so I don't have that problem. I'll correct that just in case. :D

Crazy Buddhist
08-24-2007, 11:37 AM
lol just sounded like something Homer would say before slapping his head

xRyokenx
08-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Lol, yeah. Did you read the reason for editing?

Crazy Buddhist
08-24-2007, 02:14 PM
did now :D lol

Lol, yeah. Did you read the reason for editing?

Quakken
08-26-2007, 09:57 PM
You know what i actually want? Vista lite edition.

None of the flashy crap, and none of the 1 gig of memory usage. Just a nice, boring and customizable system. I would be happy with windows that you could choose your own color, and the windows xp bubbly crap for windows if you wanted them. As little idle memory use as possible, and a menu where you have the option to turn off almost everything that you don't need. It would still have all the windows gaming such and such, and have the full driver support that vista will someday (hopefully) have.

Or maybe i just want a vista with a menu that you could turn off all the idle resource hogs that you wouldn't be using anyway. And you could turn off all the other things, so you could take the vista graphics experience all the way down to windows 95 64 Mb of ram usage.

crenn
08-27-2007, 07:03 PM
http://www.tweakvista.com/

EDIT: Also look at http://www.tweakvista.com/Article39179.aspx

calumc
08-27-2007, 07:25 PM
http://www.linuxmint.com/mintart/images/rsgallery/original/mintytux1.png (http://linuxmint.com)
penguins are so much cooler than that wavy flag thing

armadilloben
08-27-2007, 07:54 PM
ive got four gigs of corsair stock= 675 mhz ocd to like 811 i think i know its past 800mhz dont member exacts but vista runs like a dream but what i relle need is a phenom proc for real multitasking cuz my dual core brisbane doesnt relle do what i want it to do all at once fast enough i mean i bought my 4 igs of ram for only like 150 bucks at newegg by buying 4 indvidual sticks at like 35-40 bucks each it was a real good deal i just check and ive got 14 programs running and im only using 1.36 gigs of ram so i mean i guess 2 gigs fine but i like the available ram extra even if i dont need it
also i have vista 64bit so i can access it all