PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Think I Wanna Listen to MP3 Anymore...

progbuddy
08-19-2007, 09:59 PM
I grabbed a copy of Zg CD Ripper, ripped some songs to APE, downloaded the codec, and listened.

I'm hooked on APE (aka MonkeyAudio).

Ripper (http://www.hot.ee/miukytool/Zgcd_setup.zip)

Codec (http://www.free-codecs.com/RadLight_APE_DirectShow_Filter_download.htm)

Ridiculous quality.

.Maleficus.
08-19-2007, 10:32 PM
What's file size like?

progbuddy
08-19-2007, 10:45 PM
A little less than FLAC. It runs around 30 MB/song.

Luke122
08-19-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm a FLAC guy too, but I have a few in APE format. I use Foobar2000 for a player, with "Secretrabbit" upsampler plugin. The sound quality is sublime.

luciusad2004
09-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Do you guys have portable media players that can use these codecs? I was always interested in finding an alternative format (FLAC, OGG, etc) but didn't want to make two libraries so i could have a media player compatible library.

At the moment I'm using aac... i was thinking of ... um... buying an ipod. *lowers head in shame* I need to think different.

calumc
09-08-2007, 01:02 PM
for anyone that wants to try FLAC on ipods and other mp3s try http://www.rockbox.org/
its replacement open source firmware for:
# Apple: iPod 3rd gen, 4th gen (grayscale and color), 5th/5.5th gen (video), iPod Mini and 1st gen iPod Nano
(not the 2nd gen Nano)
# Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
# Cowon: iAudio X5, X5V, X5L, M5 and M5L
# iriver: H100, H300 and H10 series
# SanDisk: Sansa e200 and e200R series
# Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series (not the S series)

im thinking of trying it on my old ipod mini. if it goes well i might write an article all about it

luciusad2004
09-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Hmmmm, I have to find out what generation my current ipod is first. Then i have to see if i can find a new battery for it. Then see if it still works. THEN i can try rockbox out lol.

Once i get a job though, i will be in the market for a new player. I'll probably look for something with native support. If not FLAC then at least OGG. I know there are some out there.

The problem i run in to is this however. I would LOVE to try something other than the ipod, but i am kind of attracted to the idea of having a car stereo that can use my ipod as input device. I don't know any other devices that do this. I just don't want to be locked in to using ipod and itunes for the rest of my life... and i hear you can find better quality else were.

anyway. Sorry i ran this thread so off-topic. Once i get a battery i will try out rockbox. I actually looked in to it before.

One question, if i install rockbox, can i uninstall it later and restore my ipod to the way it came factory?

calumc
09-08-2007, 01:44 PM
i suppose you would just reformat it with the default software
EDIT: you can use the software that installs rockbox to uninstall it again without effecting anything

luciusad2004
09-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Alright, thanks! : ) IF you ever get around to installing it on your ipod post a thread with a review or something.

progbuddy
09-17-2007, 01:06 PM
I have successfully installed Rockbox on my Nano. It has waaay better audio codecs than the ones integrated into the Nano's firmware. Nice graphical equalizer, and even comes with a physics engine >>.

*watches floaty box on screen*

xRyokenx
09-17-2007, 01:09 PM
When I get my new mobo and everything set up, I'm gonna only use the APE codec, and have it convert to mp3 for on my PPC or when I get a Zune or something.

calumc
09-17-2007, 05:24 PM
I now have rockbox on my old mini, just havent used it a lot yet.
And luciusad2004 i will write a review whenever i get enough use from it to get an opinion of it.
The games are fun tho!

luciusad2004
09-17-2007, 06:50 PM
I now have rockbox on my old mini, just havent used it a lot yet.
And luciusad2004 i will write a review whenever i get enough use from it to get an opinion of it.
The games are fun tho!

Alright, thanks man. I just discovered that my current ipod still works.

It's an older ipod (gen 3 i think), so it connects via firewire. I hooked it up to firewire and low and behold, it starts up despite a distinct lack of battery. Anyway, since i am poor and can't afford the replacement i would rather have, i may save and purchase a battery for this thing. Then i might rockbox it.

I guess the only downside is that my idea of using the harddrive out of her for an external harddrive mod of sorts is out of the question.

/***************************EDIT******************* ********\

Never mind, I think my ipod is second gen. No rockbox for me lol. Either way, I'm still getting a battery untill i can afford a new player. Thanks for the info though guys.

luciusad2004
10-05-2007, 09:23 PM
sorry to bring this back up but i had a question and i thought it would fit in to this thread. Does anyone hear use foobar 2000? If so, why?

Why would you recommend it over other audio players, such as Media Player, Itunes, Winamp, etc...?

Thanks for any replies.