PDA

View Full Version : mmmkay, just to review . . .

ack ack
07-28-2005, 12:09 PM
So like a lightening bolt struck near my house a couple weeks ago and blew up a tree. The bolt shorted out the RF in our TV and the modem in our old Dell. But im now having a problem with a system I just built that was turned off when the bolt hit. The system keeps crashing at load (UT2004 mutant specifically) and the leds on the psu fans no longer light up. It was running stable with a minor oc before, now its not even stable at stock speeds when it hits load even tho the rail voltages seems stable.

Granted it is an Ultra, but are there any recommended tests i should run (superpi, prime?), before I ditch this psu and get a new one.

Zeus
07-28-2005, 07:51 PM
you could always replace the power supply and return it if that doesn't fix the problems

ack ack
07-28-2005, 11:41 PM
would the psu still have absobed the shock even though the system wasn't turned on?

Zeus
07-29-2005, 12:18 PM
if you don't use a surge suppressor, it can still kill any and/or all your components. Even if the computer was turned off.

Surge protectors (good quality ones) are ALWAYS worth the investment

ack ack
07-29-2005, 12:41 PM
it is on a surge protector. had a second system on the same strip that was left on during the storm and it was unaffected. so i guess that leaves the quality of ultra products up for debate.

Aero
07-29-2005, 04:00 PM
or the electricity could have gone through the Surge protector if it was broken (cheap protectors can easily fry before "the big one" hits) and affected only the one computer.

crenn
07-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Or your mobo could have fried. I kno mine has fried for no reason and I'm having some of the same symptons as you. Except my PC doesn't even go into the BIOS screen.

ack ack
07-30-2005, 10:35 PM
nah, its not my mobo. everything posts fine, and the bios hold their settings. ran memtest too and my ram passed also.

I do have multiple peripherals on only one cable tho. HD, DVD-RW, Floppy, and two 120mm fans are all on one cable connection to the power source. maybe that is too much cable management.