PDA

View Full Version : RAM problem, I think

xmastree
08-20-2007, 02:44 PM
So, I bought a second hand mobo and CPU on eBay. It's an Asus K8V-VM / Athlon 64 3000.
I needed some RAM so I bought one 1GB DDR400. ebay #270151489681 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270151489681) having checked for compatibility.
The chipset is the VIA K8M890 which is on the compatibility list, but something isn't right.

It POSTs ok, recognises the 1GB and starts to boot but then stops. I tried some memory diagnostic software and it failed. I've emailed the seller, and he basically just sent me the same data on the listing. I confirmed that the chipset on my board is listed, and explained the problem. I'm waiting for his tech support to get back to me.

The seller's return policy sucks. If it's incompatible, he'll take £10 and return the rest.
I feel that if it's incompatible due to his incorrect listing then I ought to get the full price back.

Meanwhile, I can't use the computer. I'm tempted to take it to a local shop and just buy some memory there and test it in the shop. Just in case the problem lies with the motherboard...

If I do go this way, I might be able to have them test the RAM in another board. If it's ok then I'd probably be better just selling it.

Scotty
08-20-2007, 02:50 PM
If his listing is wrong, you should get a full refund, if he say's it's not his fault the listing is wrong contact eBay as it's not technically what it said it was.
If it's supposedly compatible but isn't working then im guessing the RAM is buggered so again you should get a full refund as it's not functioning.

crenn
08-20-2007, 04:40 PM
If the memory diagnostic test failed, the RAM is faulty and you were sent a dud.

xmastree
08-21-2007, 03:00 AM
I hope so, but remember also that the motherboard isn't new, and it's not that old either. So someone got bored with it rather soon, or maybe that's faulty and the RAM's fine...

Unfortunately I don't have any way of testing either the board or the RAM independently, unless I can persuade the local shop to help me. and why should they, when I didn't buy from them but went to eBay instead?
Although I did buy the PSU from them when I realised I needed a 24+4 power connector.

So, if I buy another 1GB from the shop and it works, then get the eBay one swapped I'll have 2GB. Nice, but more than I was planning to spend.

Eclecticos
08-21-2007, 04:55 AM
Its the High Density ram you bought.
I did the same thing looking for a deal. . it said it was compatible with the VIA PM800 Chipset, it didn't work.
So I got some PNY Optima put in in there and it fired right up.

Avoid High Density RAM it is crap!

xmastree
08-21-2007, 06:03 AM
Interesting... In what way didn't yours work? If it just wasn't compatible I wouldn't expect the computer to recognise it at all, but it does. Even the countup at boot time looks fine.

The seller's reply was:

Message from eBay Member Regarding Item #270151489681That RAM is high density. You need to check with the manufacturer to see if it can take the 128 x 64 configuration. It is known to work with.........
Followed by a long list of chipsets, including mine.

He also claims to have low density in his eBay store, so an exchange may be the way to go. But since his listing claims that this RAM will work with my board, I feel I ought to get the full value back.

Eclecticos
08-21-2007, 09:28 AM
It counted up on this one to. .just never past that point.
. .It also started getting real hot, and showing signs of overheating "cloudiness".

If you can just use a stick out of another computer and see if it boots up with that.

xmastree
08-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Well I figured it could take time to resolve this so I went and bought another stick from the local shop. Memtest now runs fine, but I am having all sorts of problems trying to get things running. I can't seem to get a desktop with any of my live linux CDs.

That's before I try booting what's already on the disk...

learning2mod
08-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Ok so you got a new stick of ram. You said you cant get a desktop...(i thinking that it wont boot completely) So the ram is not what is causing it , start basic , have you cleared your C-Mos , are the settings right in the bios (mem timings,boot disk,etc) Its hard to fix a computer on a forum :( . Even make sure that you have everything plugged up correctly. BTW...what kinda Mem did you get , whats the rated speed and timings? How far exaclty will it go in trying to boot before it stops ?

xmastree
08-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm getting there now. Removed some stuff and I got it to boot with an ubuntu live disc.

There are three hard drives and two CD's. I've removed all but the primary master, which has nothing on it of importance and I'm reinstalling now.

xmastree
08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Hmm...
The XP install went pretty well with just the one hard drive and two CD's.
I connected the other disk, and it's still fine.

But, If I connect the SATA drive then it reboots before it's finished starting up.

I'm wondering if the 400W PSU is inadequate. It is brand new, so I will probably be able to swap it turns out to be the case.

I'll install linux on the remaining half of the first disk and see how that goes.

xmastree
08-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Hmm, this is interesting.

The XP and Linux installs went fine with just the primary master disk installed (both OS's are on that disk).
Connect the primary slave and it's fine.
Remove the primary slave, connect the SATA and it's fine.

Connect then both and it dies during boot. XP continually reboots, Linux just hangs.

I thought the PSU may be baulking at the load so I swapped it for a 650W one (with black sleeved cables and a bunch of connectors I don't need).

Just the same... :down:

So, it has to be the motherboard doing this.

In the original board I had fitted an IDE-SATA interface to connect my SATA drive, so I tried using this with the new board.

It works! :D :banana:

So I suspect I didn't need that PSU after all.

I'm still not sure of the exact reason though. :think: Maybe a BIOS upgrade might help?

xmastree
08-24-2007, 10:12 AM
But the SATA controller works just fine if there isn't a primary slave disk present...

Weird.

xmastree
08-24-2007, 01:21 PM
You mean a primary slave on the IDE channel, right?
Yes. the OS's are on the primary master IDE drive, jumpered to master. The primary slave of which I speak is jumpered to slave, on the same (80 way) cable.
There are two optical drives on the secondary IDE interface, jumpered accordingly (40 way cable).

I might try the cable select thing, although I'm unsure as to the placing of the plugs on the drives. I just plugged them in the neatest way withoug looking at the master/slave markings on the cable.

Hmm... :think:

Actually, I've never ever used cable select on any computer I've ever built.

It would be nice to get to the bottom of this, but it's working just fine now with the IDE/SATA card in there, so if it ain't broke... ;)

And if I do break it then the wife will kill me... :dead:

xmastree
08-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Well Mrs. xmastree has this binary attitude where everything is either working or broken. There's no 'not quite configured yet' or 'needs a driver' etc.

If the slightest thing isn't right: "So it's broken then?"

Airbozo
08-24-2007, 07:17 PM
bahahah!! +rep!! I told my wife she had a binary attitude.. she told me to sleep on the binary couch tonight then.. :D funny ****!!

-Jeremy

Hahhaehoohaheeho... That made my day!

Back to the drives. Check the bios setting for sata compatibility mode. On my mobo if I set it the wrong way it will perform almost like yours. You may have to play with different settings to discover what works... (or rtfm... ;) )

xmastree
08-25-2007, 05:23 AM
Check the bios setting for sata compatibility mode.I did have a look in the BIOS, but couldn't find anything obvious in there. Just the usual LBA, PIO, DMA, SMART, 32Bit stuff.

Well, the PCI-SATA is using the last slot, so unless I really need to put something else in there I think I'll leave it alone.