PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

jaxspades
08-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm deciding on a new laptop.

Is Asus a good brand? I heard that they just use other companies laptops and put a new body on it, but either way, are they a good buy?

Scotty
08-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Never heard anything bad about Asus. Usually a good brand.
Dell do some nice ones too.
Depends on your budget and what you want it for.

Zephik
08-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Dell seems to be the best bang for the buck. I have a Dell Inspiron 9200, a obsolete laptop that Dell made in the past, yet, I still love it! It has a weak 1.6Ghz processor that nobody uses anymore (Pentium M?) and a Radeon 9700, but its still powerful enough to do just about anything I want except for some heavy 3D work. So that kind of gives you an idea of what you are looking at, even if you are looking at their cheapest ones. Just make sure you get at least that GPU (I'm pretty sure most of their laptops have even better ones now) and spend the extra $50 on a dual core processor.

If I could get that dual core processor, I don't think I would have to upgrade for some good time. This lil puppy does most of what I want, even light gaming like WoW (plays awesomely) and WarRock (a bit iffy, but does the job). It even plays Oblivion on medium settings (except the crazy magic usage, then you have to drop it to medium/low if not low sometimes). :up:

Luke122
08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
I have an Inspiron 8600 with the 9600 gpu, and it plays WoW also. M1.6ghz, 768mb ram, currently running Vista/XP/Ubuntu in triple boot.

Check out the XPS M1330.. super nice. It's available with LED backlighting for the screen.. thinner/lighter/less power usage than ccfl's. :D

jaxspades
08-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Thanks Scotty.

Ummm, thanks for your support to the Dell fans, but I don't want one. No offense, but I don't like Dell--they put too much crud on their new PC's.

Also, I asked about Asus...but, thanks for your support! I think I'll get the Asus--1376 dollars and I get a great PC tomorrow.

linky (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16834220176)

Give you all a looksie.

learning2mod
08-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I hope tis isnt too late but I bought my wife a Alienware lappy and it was about 1200 dollars also. I just built one on their site with basically the same thing as the ASUS on your link except with a larger screen and a CORE 2 DUO T5550 and it was 1239.00. I am pretty sure that it would be FASTER than the amd.:up: