PDA

View Full Version : Wireless card and memory overlap ....

haha49
08-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Ok i just bought an extra 2 gigs of ram so now i have 4 sticks all the same type in my computer..

now the problem i am haveing is with vista and my wireless card..

in order for me to get over 3 gigs or ram i have to go into the bois and turn memorry overlap on.. Then when i try to boot vista it freezes part way through.. at random times on the bar i left it and came back its still at the same load spot so its stuck.. now when i remove my pci card (dlink dwl-520b) vista will boot fine and show all the ram..

The problem im haveing is i want to use all my ram instead of 3 but still be able to use my pci card because i want to be able to get online i cant just run a cable i need to use wireless :neutral:

Currently runing
Asus p5b
Intel E6600
4x1 gig dr2 800
evga 8600 gts superclocked 256mb
rocketfish 700w powersupply (thermalte 420 broke a pwoer cable so i ran out of sata cables)
1 200 gig maxtor sata
2 320 gig maxtor maxlife sata
1 320 segate
1 lg sata dvd burner
1 lg dvd rom
1 Dlink dwl-520b wirless card

Luke122
08-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Does the wireless card work in another slot?

Have you checked to make sure that the "memory overlap" setting doesnt cause a resource conflict? Make sure that the bios is still set to "pnp os installed" and that the resources are set to auto, rather than reserving them for specific hardware.

I've seen some crazy problems with hardware only working in certain pci slots.. I'd start with that.

Crazy Buddhist
08-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Try this:

1. uninstall your wireless card completely and remove all drivers.

2. install your ram and get that going.

3. re-install the wireless card.

Crazy Buddhist
08-24-2007, 11:34 AM
I second Luke on checking for a resource conflict.

I third that ... my three point plan of attack above was in the hopes that by fully removing the drivers from the PC before getting the RAM going the OS would then assign a non conflicting IRQ or deal with the conflict better on a re-install of the G/card. I have found this approach to be really quick in resolving a lot of such issues.

Crazy Buddhist
08-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I see what you are saying. By removing hte card completely, the system will assign or dedicate that IRQ to the RAM, and then when the G card is in, will look for the next available.. I wonder why it didn't do that for hte RAM in the first place? Maybe there is a range for certain types of hardware?

hmmm :think:

-Jeremy

yes. It often works in these situations in practice. BUT it is essential to remove the drivers from your system entirely or windows will just find the frikkers when you reboot it.

haha49
08-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Ok so far.. other slot didnt work same thing removeing drivers didnt work.. takeing card out completly seems to be the only thing that works... its messed up everything is already on auto i even tried setting it to the other settings but the ram will only show up if i do overlap but with the pci card installed it goes kaboom.. and doesnt boot..

Luke122
08-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Well, I guess we are back to the Bios update then. Have you got the latest BIOS installed? (Minty suggested this earlier)

haha49
08-24-2007, 06:02 PM
bois update first thing i did.. i just bought a new network card and now it works :banana:

haha49
08-25-2007, 12:51 AM
bois update first thing i did.. i just bought a new network card and now it works :banana:

now i restart and have the same problem i move the card slot reinstall it when windows starts it works fine till i turn the computer off and try to load it agian vista sucks :down: