PDA

View Full Version : Personal Cellphone Signal Blocker

AJ@PR
08-24-2007, 02:06 PM
From gizmodo...

Jam It, Damnit
Personal Cellphone Signal Blocker Delivers Electronic TFSU
Fed up with clueless cellphone gabbing in public? Put an immediate stop to it with this Personal Cellphone Signal Blocker. Running on a portable battery that lasts three to four hours, this 6-ounce pocketable jammer (4"x1.85"x.71") disrupts signals from GSM, CDMA, DCS, PHS and 3G networks, and its manufacturer says it can do this miracle within a radius of...uh oh, get this: 2 to 40 feet.
Cellphone Jammer (http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/cellsignalblock/)

More... (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/jam-it%2C-damnit/personal-cellphone-signal-blocker-delivers-electronic-tfsu-293194.php)

I don't know about you guys... but I'm ITCHING to get one of these...
I mean...
Honestly, I would take it to my professional meetings.
Start of the meeting, just anounce it:
"No cellphones allowed. They will be blocked for this session."

I really, really dig this.

Crazy Buddhist
08-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Do they do one that blocks the tinny crappy rap music people listen to on their phones on public transport?

Luke122
08-24-2007, 04:57 PM
You mean people actually play their music through the cell speaker? That's ridiculous!

As an audiophile, I find that positively offensive.:P

Crazy Buddhist
08-24-2007, 05:09 PM
You mean people actually play their music through the cell speaker? That's ridiculous!

Yes. It is a major problem in London. It is offensive - whether you are an audiophile or not. They also often seem to have a consistently bad taste in music and like trying to outplay each other.

In the area I live in which is highly multicultural one often finds oneself sitting on a bus next to a girl from pakistan listening to her "bangra-rap" on her mobile. In the seat behind you might have a couple of Jamaican guys trying to play Regggae through the cell speaker (GET REAL FFS !!) ... Meanwhile the twelve year old girl on the seat infront is listening to Shakira. And you are listening to all three.

Chosing whom to strangle first seems the only sane option at times.

crenn
08-24-2007, 05:22 PM
That could be annoying.... especially when you're trying to call emergency services......

And I think music should only be allowed to play through headphones.... although the loudspeaker can be used for say... playing in the car?

Airbozo
08-24-2007, 06:50 PM
I have checked into the cell phone blocker devices for a customer (an owner of several movie theater's) and in the US that device (or any like it) are illegal to use. Too bad too since they would sell fast!

I have also looked into another passive cell blocker. It is paint embedded with some particles to prevent or degrade signal transmission (proprietary formula as far as I can tell). The state of California strictly enforces permits for it's use since it contains hazardous chemicals and can be very expensive.

I just googled and found a Japanese guy that has invented "magnetic impregnated wood panels" impregnated with Nickel Ferrite, he envisions them being sold in home depot by the foot.

Greco101
08-24-2007, 09:59 PM

Some kid at my gf's work brings a cd player and speakers to work and plays them in the break room. How's that for ridiculous?