PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Next-Gen Gaming Mice Discussion

Indybird
08-25-2007, 12:50 PM
I have been keeping an eye on the major mice producers and noticed that, right about now, they are all releasing a next-gen mouse. Here they are:

Razer Lachesis - 4000dpi (http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72)
http://www.razerzone.com/images/lachesis_3.jpg
Special features include:
-Market highest DPI
-Built-in memory to remember configurations across computers/no drivers needed
-"On-the-fly" Sensitivity adjustment
-Large, non-slip rubber surface
-Extra long USB cable w/ gold-plated connection
-Zero-acoustic Ultraslick™ Teflon feet

Logitech G9 - 3200dpi (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/3053&cl=us,en)
http://www.logitech.com/repository/416/jpg/3020.1.0.jpg
Special features include:
-Market Second highest DPI
-Built-in memory to remember configurations across computers/no drivers needed
-Changeable Grips
-Weight Adjustment
-LED Color Changer
-MicroGear™ Precision Scroll Wheel
-Polytetrafluoroethylene feet

Microsoft Sidewinder - 2000dpi (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=100&active_tab=overview)
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/images/gm_largerview_swm.jpg
-Changeable Feet
-LCD Display showing dpi and macro settings
-Windows Games quick launch button
-Wide Metal Scroll Wheel
-Adjustable Weight

Right now I'm liking them in this order:
1st: Logitech G9
2nd: Razer Lachesis
3rd: Microsoft Sidewinder

Though the least visually appealing of the bunch, the G9 seems to have a balance of special features and performance. I absolutely love the special scroll wheel (same wheel as MX Revolution), I like adjustable weights, it saves your settings across computers without drivers, and it has a very high dpi.
Speaking of DPI, the Razer Lachesis is in fact the highest dpi mouse available on the market. At a whoping 4000dpi, you'll be getting some nice, smooth tracking. I'd definitely have to go with the razer for being the nicest looking; smooth rounded surfaces and very minimalist design.
The two things that really make the sidewinder stick out is the LCD and the feet. The LCD sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure just how useful it would be. The changeable feet is an interesting concept. That combined with the weight adjustment will allow you to get just the right feel out of the mouse. Now if it just had the interchangeable grips then it would have everything.
I don't think I'll be getting any of these mice because I love wireless and, other than the G7, no one is able to make a good wireless gaming mouse.

Which one are you guys waiting for?

-Indybird

xRyokenx
08-25-2007, 01:21 PM
They need to come out with a gaming trackball, I find it much easier to track stuff if I don't have to lift but a few fingers and roll a ball instead of a whole mouse, but taht's just me. Right now I use a Logitech Marble Mouse, $20 and gets the job done, lol. But yeah, if they ever come out with a trackball for gaming, I'll be one of the first to get one.

Oh, and if I were to get one of those it'd probably be the G9, that one looks cool to me and like it would fit my hand quite well.

Zephik
08-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Woah, that Microsoft Sidewinder is freaky! Oddly, I kind of like it. Its unique if anything, thats for sure. Probably be pretty pricey though, with that lcd display and all.

solja
08-25-2007, 03:56 PM
1st: Razer Lachesis
2nd: Logitech G9
3rd: Microsoft Sidewinder

I absolutely LOVE Razer mice, although I am going to stick with my Razer diamondback for now. the Lachesis has everything a gaming mouse needs, imo. I dont need weights heh, I dont need the led color changer (though that is a nice touch), I definitely dont want to change the feet. What I do need is everything the Lachesis has, a nice rubber grip so its not slick, a wire (I loathe wireless mice :P ), on the fly sensitivity, and a VERY high DPI. I am a Razer fan and Razer user untill the day they dissapoint me heh. I have always thought the Logitech mice are ugly, and my thoughts dont change with this "next gen" Logitech.. "next gen" looks familiar to me ;) (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=493&subcategory=495&product=14489) and microsoft added features such as the lcd screen that arent needed as you said in your own post.

Now lets look at prices,
Razer Lachesis: $79.99
Logitech G9: $99.99
Microsoft Sidewinder: $79.99

All of these prices are very high in my opinion, however I would pay $79.99 for a Razer mouse way before I'd spend $99.99 for a logitech. It has been my experience that Logitech sells wonderfull products with very high prices. Logitech in my experience overcharges for most of the products they sell, excluding microphones. Why do they do this? In my opinion they do it because alot of people buy their products based on what "everyone else is doing" or "the in thing to do", even if only 30% of Logitechs customers buy their products because of this, they can still make their prices higher because they know they can depend on people buying their products.

Some may think I'm crazy heh I'm just stating my opinions.

Omega
08-25-2007, 04:04 PM
"Polytetrafluoroethylene"

:O

My money's on the G9 though, since Logitech owns.

Zephik
08-25-2007, 05:27 PM
My money's on the G9 though, since Logitech owns.

haha, even though I like the sidewinder, I voted for the G9 for pretty much that reason alone. You can't go wrong with Logitech. It looks the most comfy to me too. Has a nice mix of complexity as well. The Razor is pretty simple, the sidewinder is overly complex, but the logitech? Its just right. ^_^

.Maleficus.
08-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Wow, I don't like any of them. I've never been a fan of Razer, the Microsoft one can be out performed by a $30 Logitech from last year (MX-518 for example) and the G9 is too ugly for me to consider buying. I'm perfectly happy with the MX-600 that came with my EasyCall, and my MX-518 was great before I borked it. If I had to get a new mouse though, I'd get the MX Revolution. If I had to get one of those mice, it'd be the G9 though, because Logitech has never failed me.

Spawn-Inc
08-25-2007, 09:44 PM
4000dpi?~!, when i spent 100 on my mx revolution i thought i was getting a good mouse (it is) but then a week later i see other mice with like 2500dpi and now 4000dpi, guess they had to come out with it some time.

D1337
08-25-2007, 09:57 PM
G9 wins my vote too, it's calling out quality performance. The Razer Lachesis seems too long (didnt actually look at the measured length, just eying it)

logitech is a synonym for quality. let alone support. finally the Lachesis has a horrible name, its ackward and confusing to spell. Especially in game when someone asks you.

G5 will still be the mouse to own till the G9 drops in price.

Omega
08-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Not to mention, the G9 has bber cover thing for those of us with big hands.

Quakken
09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
$100 for a mouse?

I've been happy with my compaq 2 button one scroll wheel mouse for almost 3 years. It's never let me down and it's been a solid performer. Good tracking, light feel... Who needs 4000DPi, when i'm rolling with (what i think) around 600 and it's works fine.

crenn
09-10-2007, 12:14 AM
I like my G5 and I might buy a spare.... and buy spare.... I mean the 2007 edition.

EDIT: OMG!!! THE POLL IS AT 108.33%

D1337
09-10-2007, 12:37 AM
cause indy couldnt pick the obvious winner.. *shame*

The boy 4rm oz
09-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Here is how I see it.
1. The Razor mouse looks weird as always (damn universal grip)
2. The G9 looks more like a notebook mouse (short), I would probably be much happier with my G7
3. The Microsoft mouse looks good but I think they are trying just a little too hard

Well that's my input. If I had to but one of those mice I would definitely but the Sidewinder.

Elenril
09-10-2007, 05:57 AM
I've been a huge fan of logitech ever since I bought the VX Revolution mouse for my mum's new laptop (which I'm now using :p). I am in love with that mouse *drool*. It's incredibly sexy, aesthetically pleasing, the scrollwheel, weight and feet on it are fantastic. The smaller size compared to the MX Revolution is perfect for my hand size too. I'll never be able to go back to my old Microsoft mouse now... So Logitech definitely gets my vote.

Indybird
09-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I like my G5 and I might buy a spare.... and buy spare.... I mean the 2007 edition.

EDIT: OMG!!! THE POLL IS AT 108.33%

I don't know why but I always like to make polls multiple choice. :D

-Indybird

alexanderH
09-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm waiting for the G9 and not so much for gaming as for precision. As I get into finer tuning scenes for animation and all that fun stuff it is the DPI resolutions that are required to move the mouse the tiniest bit and have it correctly move on the screen. Logitech is at the forefront of such smoothness and thats where I buy mine. And they are uber comfortable.