PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen Issue?

elbarto241
08-25-2007, 05:06 PM
I am building a bare bones PC from tiger direct. Intel Pentium D Dual Core, 2 Gigs, 40 Gig HDD, 200 Gig HDD, lightscribe DVD burner.

Whenever I boot up the PC, the OS screen starts loading but then a blue screen appears saying "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer..."

i think it might be the CPU overheating, but that might not be the problem. any ideas guys? any help would be great.

HackSore
08-25-2007, 06:08 PM
When does the blue screen occur? is it when you are trying to install the os? or is it after the os installation is totally finished?

.Maleficus.
08-25-2007, 06:12 PM
1. Check cables.
2. Check temps.
3. Check for bad parts (RAM, CPU, HDD, etc).
4. Do a repair install of Windows.

elbarto241
08-25-2007, 06:35 PM
the os is already loaded and ready on the primary HDD. cables are fine but ill check again. temps are actucally the thing that im worried about, my CPU is runnin around 50-55c. i already checked the ram and cpu and i know the HDD isnt the problem. repair install windows is my last resort. anymore advice?

im going to reseat the CPU and reinstall the zalman CPU cooler. hopefully that solves the issue at hand.

thanks for the advice.

XcOM
08-28-2007, 07:21 PM
dammit man that temp ishigh, even for an intel D, and the zalaman HSF's are excelent.

BTW, whats the error code on the BSOD? is normally shorted hex code and an extended hex code,

With that we can narrow it down.

Spawn-Inc
08-29-2007, 01:44 PM
well the last time i got the BSOD i was told to do a scan disk check so if you have another pc try moving the hdd over to it or install windows on a new hdd then scan disk check it.

XcOM
08-29-2007, 02:51 PM
BSOD IMAGE (http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/Windows_XP_BSOD.png)

notice the last bit, STOP 0x000000050

thats your error code, if you can note that down, that is the most usful bit on info from the BSOD and will help solve your problem.

Exley
08-30-2007, 05:09 PM
MY Pentium D idles at about 49C.. I thought it was normal for this proc.

i had a P4 that idled around 55c and i overclocked it :D 55 doesn't seem "blue screen high" to me. i don't think it would blue screen till it hit about 80c and started to throttle.

Exley
08-31-2007, 09:43 AM
the Pentium D is a totally different processor than the Core 2 Duo. so its temperatures are going to be different. but actually my C2D idles/loads at 40/60 so i wouldn't worry about it.

oh and to keep things on topic, elbarto i would check your ram with something like memtest86

Dilphat
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Well having the error code would be nice. But i remember I had an issue before trying to reformat my brothers computer and It would either give me a BSOD or shut off. Then I tried my other HDD and it worked until it was loading, and then I would get it. I went through everything, then I figured that my CPU wasn't properly in contact with the heat sink. So check to make sure that they are properly touching. the arctic silver wasn't even on the heatsink.

elbarto241
08-31-2007, 04:51 PM
thanks for all the responses guys, havent been able to update this thread regularly because i currently dont have a workin PC in the house. anywayz i talked to my friend and he said that the error code was due to the HDD i was using. i pulled out the master HDD out of a factory built dell and he told me that OS loaded on there would only work with the specified dell hardware. im formating and reloading the OS with XP:MC this saturday, that should get it up and running.

i read somewhere that once the paste settles that the temps drop around 5-7degs. i dont know if thats true or not but it would be nice. im considering to converting to WC cause i hate the temps im having right now. im thinking of buying a dangerden TDX with a laing d5 variable pump among other things. this is my first WC rig so i dont know much more than the basics. is the dangerden TDX block a good way to go? how about the laing pump? is it a reliable decent pump?

Dilphat
08-31-2007, 05:00 PM
That also makes sense

i pulled out the master HDD out of a factory built dell and he told me that OS loaded on there would only work with the specified dell hardware.
dam proprietary things! haha...yea u should reformat the drive before switching to hardware that the harddrive doesn't recognize.

elbarto241
08-31-2007, 05:23 PM
yea.. it was a stupid mistake on my part :D didnt do my research. :D

XcOM
09-02-2007, 10:17 AM
i don't think its dell, it think it has somthing to do with the way windows loads,

i tried to install XP on laptop1, than put hdd in laptop 2as it had no cd drive.

it BSOD on me.

XcOM
09-04-2007, 10:32 AM
it's the registry. When your registry is set up, think of it asa foundation of a house. You can't just "plop" another support system in a house, and expect the house to stay standing, right? windows lodas things at startup sequentially(sp?). If you have enough errors, windows won't even load, and then you get the BSOD. A lot of times the entire kernal will freeze, as everything is different for it.

-Jeremy

Very well put,