Powered by Windows XP® Embedded
Active Directory Support
Access control: different share levels, groups & user privileges
Windows, Mac, Linux and UNIX compatible

AJ@PR
08-28-2007, 08:12 AM
I haven't.
Welcome to TBCS! :)

There are lots of people here with the knowledge and experience to properly give you advice on that.
Just wait a little and they'll start posting soon enough. :)
Looks very nice.

For home?
two terabytesss... mmmm.... :)

sgerbitz
08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
yes I am thinking about getting it, but I heard its a just a small comptuer, with embeded processor, and 4 drives with ide.. not sure if thats true or not, but if thats true, I want to have a 5th drive for os, and the other 4 drives for data, ohh want to install Linux.. lol ;)

.Maleficus.
08-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Welcome to TBCS man!

I haven't used one myself (or anything of that quality) but it looks like a hell of a machine if you need some storage accessible by your entire network.

And if you do install Linux, you wouldn't even need another drive. I've had installs (Ubuntu 6.06 Server with Xfce) taking up less than 2Gb of space. But hey, if you wanted, you could do a flash drive install and boot from that.

sgerbitz
08-28-2007, 10:11 AM
well, I understand.. about the flash drive.. but I do smell a mod comming on!! lol ;) lets see.. (digging thru bin of parts)...

look what I found (holding up a righ angled-pci adapter, pci-raid card, 40 gig laptop drive, laptop to ide adapter)... hmm what could I do with that??

hmm... wait, does it have a spare pci port? hmm

XcOM
08-28-2007, 10:19 AM
from the look of the data shet, it seems to be a true embedded system, meaning you can't really reinstal it as its not stored on the hard drive, it will be loaded on some eprom of some form.

It looks like it easy to setup, seems like you could just hang it off a standard network, or put it on a domain controled network.

800MHz VIA C3 CPU, 256MB DDR.

not sure about the aragement of storage, i dout it wll be a single drive, my guess is it would be 4 drives, 500GB each, in a raid array setout to stripe.
Data sheet PDF (http://www.lacie.com/download/datasheet/ethernetdisk_gigabit_en.pdf)

Crazy Buddhist
08-28-2007, 10:21 AM
well, I understand.. about the flash drive.. but I do smell a mod comming on!! lol ;) lets see.. (digging thru bin of parts)...

If I smelt that mod coming on I would spend the $1,050 the Lacie thing costs on Hard drives, a mini/micro itx board and other bits (memory etc) some materials to fabricate from and then get cooking.

If you have the skills why give all that profit to Lacie?

EDIT:
(ps Edit OK this is one terrabyte I missed the size but you get my point :) )

Jetway J7F4 Dual Gigabit LAN 1.2GHz Fanless Eden C7 Mini-ITX Motherboard $178
4 x Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s $279.96
1G Ram $50
Linux $0

Total $507.96

I'm sure if I forgot something it won't cost more than $543

XcOM
08-28-2007, 07:10 PM
that seems like a better option, faster and more ram, the only thing needed is a case and modding supplys.