PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Watercooled?!

Aero
07-30-2005, 09:00 PM
To qoute my Xbox Magazine:

"Xbox 360 beta kits had just arrived a couple weeks prior to our visit to Infinity Ward. Unlike the alpha kits, which were essentially Mac G5s with "Best Guess" 360 CPU's and an ATI 420 GPU, the beta kits are near-final hardware (approximatly 80% of the shipping 360's power, according to Infinity Ward).Two Items of note: a slick blue LED inside, and the spot where the HDD should be is instead an extension of the case. Why? They're packing larger hard drives (100gig), estra duaghterboards for miscellaneous development hijinks (such as taking screenshots), and massive fans (presumably because the beta kit's arn't water-cooled like the final systems will be). Neat, huh?"

SO this is going to be like a $2000 top of the line PC for like $300? I wonder how many people will run Linux on this badboy ;)

sXenoG
08-07-2005, 04:51 AM
I find water-cooling very hard to believe these systems are claiming to pack WAY too much for the price.

If everything is true i might buy xbox 360 load up linux myself to do compiling shoot.

weirdguy
08-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Well duh, you really think that the offical x-box magazine would tell you otherwise?

and if they do water-cool it, people will have to chage the water every once in awhile and they'll either have to send it in or do it at home witch will result in dead xboxes.

and thye defintly can't count on people to plug in the pump

MrSlacker
08-07-2005, 03:07 PM
i think its not exactly water cooling as WE know it. they are using similar system to THERMALRIGHT XP-90 where there is liquid in the tubes.

sXenoG
08-07-2005, 04:12 PM
kind of reminds me of the water cooling. Thats really liquid metal. Prolly just putting mercury in the tubes. Saw it in maximum pc wonder how popular its gonna be :) Can mercury be pulled by magnents because I remember them saying that hte pump was agtually going to be magenents pushing a pulling hte liquid metal.

Dark-hobo
08-09-2005, 08:18 AM
I don't think mercury is affected by low yield magnetic fields. There are magnetic liquids though and they look ridiculously cool when combined with neodymium magnets. But to the point you could probably use this stuff with an alternating electromagnetic field you create a flow. It probably wouldn't be very cost effective though... I am also not sure of the thermal properties of this stuff. So I don't know if it conducts heat well.

Found a site (http://www.scuddlebutt3.co.uk/Ferrofluid.htm) about this stuff. It is called ferro fluid and I think(but don't quote) that is very fine iron particles suspened in a solvent.

And besides you can't put mercury in a mass market product nowadays. It is deemed too dangerous as there has been too many accidents with it. It isn't like it is ACTUALLY dangerous but it has gotten its reputation destroyed by a few fraudulent tests and paranoid consumers like freon.

sXenoG
08-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the info and yea there were no specifics in the magazine i can maybe looka t my friends magazine to see if it had more info I could be mistaken about the pump I do believe it was there but it could have been a daydream i had about what they would do with flowing metal. I didnt feel itd be cost effective either. But no matter the issue metal is more conductive then water. I see the huge problem being that amd just released .09nm processor type and pent is supposed to release a .065 so that means less and less heat and would mean that you wouldnt need major cooling unless you're a mad overclocker.

PP Mguire
08-10-2005, 03:50 AM
Hmm 100gig HDs on a consol? Exactly what for? If they are reading off of a disk like always then why would you exactly need that much space for..........saves? I heard that you can take them out and use them as a MP3 player but that was a while ago. Also, watercooling would be extremely rediculous for a consol that is not supposed to get that hot. If they did it it would prolly be for an E3 box for show and not put them in the boxs for consumers. Well these things are looking good so far, im glad im getting one!