PDA

View Full Version : HDD problem, im stuck......

MaxOC
08-30-2007, 08:34 AM
cant figure out why its not working, its all hooked up, jumpers in the slave slot since its not my main, its got power going to it, hooked to the ide slot. but the computer doesnt show it, bios doesnt even say its there.

calumc
08-30-2007, 10:32 AM
get hiren's bootdisk and use some of its disk testing apps

Cannibal23
08-30-2007, 11:19 AM
how big is the drive? is it used or new? how old is your pc? some times large drives are not supported on older motherboards. if this is the case you will need to look for a bios update from the motherboard manufacture. can you plug this drive into another pc to verify that its the drive or the pc that is haveing the issue? im pretty handy with these types of issues so i will help you out as much as i can

Luke122
08-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Try to boot it up as the only drive in the system. Does it spin up at all? (ie make noise?)

Airbozo
08-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Is the drive sharing a cable with the master? If so is it connected to the right connector? If not sharing, is it still connected to the right connector (I have seen this as an issue even if it is jumpered for slave or master and not cable select) Also on some mobo's you have to enable the port, depending on what IDE channel it is connected to.

MaxOC
08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
get hiren's bootdisk and use some of its disk testing apps
why? the computer cant pick it up

how big is the drive? is it used or new? how old is your pc? some times large drives are not supported on older motherboards. if this is the case you will need to look for a bios update from the motherboard manufacture. can you plug this drive into another pc to verify that its the drive or the pc that is haveing the issue? im pretty handy with these types of issues so i will help you out as much as i can
its only a year or 2 old, WD 80 gb, and i have a brand new computer, thats not the problem.

Try to boot it up as the only drive in the system. Does it spin up at all? (ie make noise?)
it spins without it being main.

Is the drive sharing a cable with the master? If so is it connected to the right connector? If not sharing, is it still connected to the right connector (I have seen this as an issue even if it is jumpered for slave or master and not cable select) Also on some mobo's you have to enable the port, depending on what IDE channel it is connected to.

its not even on the same cable system lol. my main is on sata and this is on ide. adn yeah ive thought about the board, ive messed with it a lot in setings, so i think ima reset bios and see what happens

Exley
08-30-2007, 05:01 PM
do you have CD drives hooked up? with my old motherboard in order to use my second (or third) IDE channel i had to turn off SATA im not sure if your motherboard works this way (the one im talking about is a gigabyte) but it is something to check.

XcOM
08-30-2007, 05:15 PM
im not sure why, but my bro's PC won't whoe up any IDE hard drives if theres one on the sata, have you contected your boards support?

MaxOC
08-31-2007, 01:37 AM
HA, i stayed on tech support line for an hour