PDA

View Full Version : Really bad wireless problems

Indybird
09-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Hi,
I am using the built-in wireless adapter on my ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe under Windows Vista. These problems originated when I had XP installed, so Vista isn't the problem. I tried running the latest drivers, but that made it worse so I went back to the original. Heres a screenshot of my problem:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/6d05f1b3.jpg
I go to connect to my network (wirelesshome) and it just hangs on that screen. I can't connect to the internet, I can't access the router, nothing. It does this half the time I try to access the internet. Sometimes, restarting fixes it, but that is only sometimes. Most of the time I just sit there for a half-an-hour disconnecting and reconnecting until it gets it.

Please help, this is really driving me crazy.

Thanks,
Indybird

crenn
09-01-2007, 03:39 AM
If that happens, it's possible your wireless is a little dodgy, I'd say try to RMA it if it's under warranty.

DaJe
09-01-2007, 06:06 AM
Well, I have Vista and the P5W Dh Deluxe, and all I needed to do was update the drivers for it to work. I did it from the device manager. Are you sure you downloaded the right one?

Crazy Buddhist
09-01-2007, 11:49 AM
You may also find your next door neighbour has some equipment that is on sometimes and off other times that is freaking your connection. May be worth changing the default channel on the router. in the UK there are 11 or 12 channels any router can operate on. Switching through them can make immediate significant improvements in connection speed, reliablity etc.

I would try this and try borrowing an alternative wireless card and testing to see if you have the same issue before RMA'ing your card.

xRyokenx
09-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Go into the TCP/IP settings and change it to you give the IP (put in whatever), close, hit okay, have it apply the settings, go back and have it attain the IP automatically. I have to do that sometimes with my computer, hope it works.

Indybird
09-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Well, I have Vista and the P5W Dh Deluxe, and all I needed to do was update the drivers for it to work. I did it from the device manager. Are you sure you downloaded the right one?

Did you have the same problems? Anyways, I've tried that and it fails with the driver installation every time.

You may also find your next door neighbour has some equipment that is on sometimes and off other times that is freaking your connection. May be worth changing the default channel on the router. in the UK there are 11 or 12 channels any router can operate on. Switching through them can make immediate significant improvements in connection speed, reliablity etc.

I would try this and try borrowing an alternative wireless card and testing to see if you have the same issue before RMA'ing your card.

I've tried every channel, the best one is 11 (and even that's not very good). +rep for the fast response.

Go into the TCP/IP settings and change it to you give the IP (put in whatever), close, hit okay, have it apply the settings, go back and have it attain the IP automatically. I have to do that sometimes with my computer, hope it works.

I've tried that, and its just as helpful as disconnecting and reconnecting like I do right now. Anyways, thanks for the quick response. +rep EDIT: Sorry I can't give you more rep right now :(

-Indybird

xRyokenx
09-01-2007, 03:34 PM
You're welcome, sorry my advice didn't help at all...

Killa_Ape
09-01-2007, 06:28 PM
I have a craptacular Netgear router and I get that, I have to disconnect the power from the router and then plug it back in, d-link no issues but when I using Netgear it like screws up totally and wireless doesn't work but wired does.

Indybird
09-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I have a craptacular Netgear router and I get that, I have to disconnect the power from the router and then plug it back in, d-link no issues but when I using Netgear it like screws up totally and wireless doesn't work but wired does.

Are you having the same problems as me? Because I have a netgear router...

The thing is: none of the other computers I've ever tried to connect had a problem. They connected just fine.

Oi, this is really annoying!

-Indybird

Mysteriphys
09-01-2007, 07:26 PM
try a different NIC? even with wired setups sometimes a nic just won't communicate, also, if you have a motorola modem for your internets, it may have learned too many mac addresses, and if all your other computers work fine, it's probly because the modem knew the addresses already, I get it all the time on mine, thats a -RESTORE TO FACTORY - and RESET MODEM. fun fun.... can take up to half an hour though be patient, and if you need to know how to do that pm me :)

oh, and that was assuming you're using a wireless nic you haven't used on that network before

also, thats not just motorola that happens on, I was just using it as an example. but didn't word it right.