PDA

View Full Version : Strange from my friends board

Dilphat
09-01-2007, 02:42 AM
Well I was at his house and he asked me to help him put his computer internals to this new case he bought. and when i looked at it, i saw a 20pin atx cable going into a 24pin in the motherboard. And I was curious if that would actually work, or would his pc give up and emit smoke soon?!!?!

SgtM
09-01-2007, 02:53 AM
That's not strange at all. The 20 pin connector will work in the 24 pin slot. Used to build computers all the time with the same config.

Dilphat
09-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Ok, thanks...it's just since i had to reconnect everything, I didn't want like blue smoke coming out of the tower. and i get a call. thanks SgtM. +rep

crenn
09-01-2007, 03:36 AM
Just be careful, you have to have it in a certain place for it to work!

Scotty
09-01-2007, 03:59 AM
It's better to have a 24 pin, as then there is a more stable amount of power, but 20 pin will still work.

Dilphat
09-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Just be careful, you have to have it in a certain place for it to work!
Yea I think we put it in the middle, where it properly fit.

It's better to have a 24 pin, as then there is a more stable amount of power, but 20 pin will still work.
oo, that brings up another question. I think I saw somewhere online where I saw like this 20 pin male to a 24 pin male. How does that work out?

P.s. sorry if I'm asking noob questions. I just can't help it, I just don't want the blame on me if his board goes up in smoke. thanks guys! :banana:

crenn
09-01-2007, 05:02 AM
Yea I think we put it in the middle, where it properly fit.

oo, that brings up another question. I think I saw somewhere online where I saw like this 20 pin male to a 24 pin male. How does that work out?

P.s. sorry if I'm asking noob questions. I just can't help it, I just don't want the blame on me if his board goes up in smoke. thanks guys! :banana:

Uh oh..... out of curiosity... did you read the manual?

It shouldn't go in the middle, it should be off to one side....

DaJe
09-01-2007, 05:28 AM
All I've seen before is a 24 pin connector in a 20 pin motherboard.

Dilphat
09-02-2007, 02:14 AM
Uh oh..... out of curiosity... did you read the manual?

It shouldn't go in the middle, it should be off to one side....

haha, he has no manual. as far as i know, its been working fine...it wouldn't fit...plus i think he took it in a pc shop, since it wouldn't start. and that's what i thought it was...but it turned out that that's the only way it fit in, and his power cord was messed up! thanks for the help guys!