PDA

View Full Version : New to modding

det
08-01-2005, 02:48 AM
Hey guys. I am totally new to case modding but I bought myself a dremel to motivate me. I have about 4 old cases in my garage to practice on. I was wondering how you get something traced onto the case for dremel use. Do you draw something exactly right onto the case or do you use paper to trace it onto it. Either way I dont know. :?

crazybillybob
08-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I've done the Trace the outline trick. It works butt the paper likes to move when tracing. I've also tried Tapeing the pic to the case with masking tape (did a few windows like this when I started). Now I love spray glue, for masks I use the light duty stuff (it comes off easier), and I don't recommend this if your not going to paint the case cause it takes a bit of light sanding to clean the glue off completely. You take your pic and spray a thin coat of spray glue onto it (follow the directions about drying time) then when it's dry enough line it sick it on and cut on the lines, the paper will not move on you. If you have the cases try a few ways each one of us is more comfortable with diffrent methods.

If your not going to repaint or are just etching into plex, tape the paper or draw the out line ...Or go to a sign shop and have them cut the image out of paint mask (I haven't tried this but it should work cause all you really need is lines to follow) cause it peels off clean.

Good luck, welcome to modding!

Crazybillybob

richmandudeus
08-01-2005, 10:25 AM
what i did was draw my design on some thin cardboard like a folder or something the cut it out...
placed the folder with the cut out on the case and used a pencil.
followed the design with the dremel and sanded for touch ups.
i suggest practicing a large star and a little star or a large moon and little moon.
the dremel is tricky cause you need a verry steady hand just to get it the way you want it and its not easy when it comes to small or tight corners.

Practice makes perfect.

Here is my design...

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=279366

Still needs paint work but that design what made with no other tools but a dremel.

Good luck to yah :)

Crimson Sky
08-02-2005, 01:21 AM
my book "The MaxiumumPC Guide to Extreme PC Mods (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789731924/thebestcase06-20/002-8841673-2223222?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1)" is a great place to start learning the tricks of the trade--for beginners and pros alike.

One trick is to print out an image or graphic you'd like to cut out, then lightly coat it with spray mount adhesive--position this on the place you'd like to cut out and smooth it down. After you're done cutting, just peel the scraps off and clean with paint thinner. I used this method in the chapter about cutting case windows--this was the resut (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/index.php?module=photoshare&func=showimages&fid=10)

MisterChief
08-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Gotta throw in the marketing, aye Crimson? :p

det
08-02-2005, 02:17 AM
thanks a lot guys. This really helps. I'll try out your methods and see which works for me. What are the names of the tools you guys used?

Crimson Sky
08-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Gotta throw in the marketing, aye Crimson? :p

You put 6 months of your life into a book and see if you don't pimp it. ;)

crenn
08-02-2005, 10:14 AM
It also helps to have a credit cad to buy the book. (damn amazon)

weirdguy
08-02-2005, 12:19 PM
It also helps to have a credit cad to buy the book. (damn amazon)

you can get it at the libary

crenn
08-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Really, leet's go to my school library (which is so old fashioned and crappy). Oh look, they only updated the books in 1996.

Aero
08-02-2005, 10:01 PM
my book "The MaxiumumPC Guide to Extreme PC Mods (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789731924/thebestcase06-20/002-8841673-2223222?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1)" is a great place to start learning the tricks of the trade--for beginners and pros alike.

One trick is to print out an image or graphic you'd like to cut out, then lightly coat it with spray mount adhesive--position this on the place you'd like to cut out and smooth it down. After you're done cutting, just peel the scraps off and clean with paint thinner. I used this method in the chapter about cutting case windows--this was the resut (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/index.php?module=photoshare&func=showimages&fid=10)

Ok, so I dug into the old resperator fund and used it to buy your book. At first I was like $30, screw this, then I remember I had a gift card, so I picked it up. Unfortunatly the gift card got spent on The Chronicles of Riddick. Bottom line being if I suffer drain bamage...errr I mean brain damage from toxic fumes I'm blameing it on you :p. j/k

Although the book will be helpful to show people at school, that even if I'm some obcessed dork who likes computer and modding, I'm not the only one who does ;) .

TheGreatSatan
08-02-2005, 11:59 PM
thanks a lot guys. This really helps. I'll try out your methods and see which works for me. What are the names of the tools you guys used?

Let's see...

Dremel, Jig Saw, Hole saw, angle grinder..

Anyone else?

MisterChief
08-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Let's see...

Dremel, Jig Saw, Hole saw, angle grinder..

Anyone else?

Perhaps you've noticed the thread in Tips in Tricks titled "The Modders Workshop"? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

crazybillybob
08-03-2005, 09:58 AM
If your going to Cut out a nice Case panel for a window (not square or roundish) Practice on some spare sheet metal, If you have never or rarely used a jigsaw (one of my favorite case mod tools!) start by cutting up 1/4" plywood it's cheapish, and reinforces the basics. then try the sheet metal, If you don't have any scrap cases to practice one....Drive the block on trash day you'll find some thing (that's the Jawa in me! :D ) or pick a sheet of it up at Lowe or home depot (in the fastener aisle). Also Organic shapes (curves, natural forms) are the hardest to cut (inverse curves are the worst) so If your pic uses them make sure you practice them, pay close attention to the transitions (from straight line to curve, or from inverse curve to normal curves).

Oh if your going to buy one pick up a jigsaw with variable speed and a quick change blade (also pick up extra blades, as a n00b you kill’m quick, the closer the teeth i.e. high tpi (teeth per inch) the smoother the cut but the slower you can go) Good Luck, I'll take a few pic's of the windows I've made and get them up for you to see.

Good Luck,
Crazybillybob

Malatory
08-03-2005, 12:44 PM

Dremel is the standard tool used, Some have nibblers but the hand version is not reconmended to be used on the steel cases unless cleaning up a very small area.

crazybillybob
08-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Remember to always wear safety glasses exspecialy when cutting metal. Trust me it's no fun to have them drill it out of your eye! :eek:

sXenoG
08-04-2005, 02:03 AM
Remember to always wear safety glasses exspecialy when cutting metal. Trust me it's no fun to have them drill it out of your eye! :eek:

Just out of curiosity have they drileld it out of ur eye?