PDA

View Full Version : partitioning without formatting?

Spawn-Inc
09-02-2007, 05:06 PM
so i tried googling, and searching the forum but couldn't find the answer i wanted. i tried to partition my hard drive but it just messed up the whole hard drive and now it won't work. here (http://www.dansdata.com/images/io060/drivepart1024.jpg) is a picture of what i did, what went wrong?

ok so all joking aside i want to partition my harddrive that i currently use but i don't want to format it. i have about 80gbs left so i want to make a 20gb partition. is there a way to do it without risking losing information? if there is any risk i'm not doing it, if i lost this information i would be very pissed.

thanks!

xRyokenx
09-02-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't think you can... every time I've tried it's always said I have to reformat... unless someone else knows otherwise?

calumc
09-02-2007, 05:15 PM
theres a few utilities like partition magic on Hirens bootdisk, ive never used them for doing this but linux distros can do it so it must be possible

Helix666
09-02-2007, 05:17 PM
using something like gparted from a Linux Live CD, you can resize a partition. You would not need to re-format the whole drive to resize a partition. (AFAIK)
However, it is recommended that you back everything up (and defrag) before trying.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_05.htm

Spawn-Inc
09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
ok so will just save up for the second 250gb hdd and do it then. +rep for fast response.

Dilphat
09-03-2007, 02:10 AM
if i remember theres a tool in hirens 8.6(now i think they are at 8.9 not sure) but yeah you could, ive seen it done at school.

theres a few utilities like partition magic on Hirens bootdisk, ive never used them for doing this but linux distros can do it so it must be possible
i think thats it. its like a bar type of tool that you use and you can choose the closest point to where you wanna make the new partition parameters. I can try to take a picture of it later when i get home or something.

SgtM
09-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Partition Magic also works well.. assuming you want to buy it.