PDA

View Full Version : New HP Designs

Zephik
09-03-2007, 09:23 PM
HP Virtus (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/29/hp-virtus-revealed/) - HP Verve (http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat123900050009&type=category)

Horrible names, but pretty slick designs! Seems like HP, unlike Dell, gets it in my opinion. But what do you guys think? HP seems to be producing a cross breed between Apple's simplistic, but elegant nature with VooDoo's amazing, but refined design. Is it for the better? or do you guys think they are heading down the wrong path?

My opinion is for the better, definitely. I'm sick of seeing ugly silver/black, matte finished pc's and laptops. Its so boring, especially for the equipment they are packing these rigs with these days. I think the exterior is finally catching up with the interior. But thats just my opinion. I like flashy things, aside from cars.

Also, what do you guys think about the Verve being Best Buy exclusive? I think thats a pretty interesting choice, but maybe they are following apple to closely? Mimicking what they did with the iPhone being AT&T exclusive? Might be bad news if companies start doing this on a regular basis.

But it seems to be pretty cheap, I mean a grand isn't cheap or anything, but for a pretty slick laptop it certainly is.

From what I've found, this is what the Verve is packing GPU wise.

NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ 8400M (http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400M.html)

Certainly blows mine all to hell. Actually, everything about that laptop blows mine away. lol

.Maleficus.
09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
...Cool! Those are sweet!

The Verve owns :).

Quakken
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Virtus=sexy.

Greco101
09-03-2007, 10:10 PM
that HP Verve is amazing and affordable... The desktop is a little to gaudy for me though. I wonder if Sony is gunna get in this

Zephik
09-03-2007, 10:17 PM
that HP Verve is amazing and affordable... The desktop is a little to gaudy for me though. I wonder if Sony is gunna get in this

That was my biggest shock. Its actually affordable! Things like that usually cost around two grand or more. Especially if its related to VooDoo in any way, shape or form.

I don't usually like Best Buy, but I might just make an exception this time.

Btw, the Virtus is kind of like Vaporware right now. Its more of a concept design than anything else. But, if HP has any intelligence in their intelligence division at all, they'll put that baby on the market. Hopefully at a good price like the Verve. I think they would sell really well if they did that.

I think it would be awesome if HP released just the case. I don't care for the parts inside, they are usually overpriced for what they are and they are always cheaply made parts. I'd rather invest my money into what I know is quality parts. That way I get exactly what I want. But, I don't think HP would do such a thing. They aren't that kind of company, which seems unfortunate looking at that case.

Indybird
09-04-2007, 12:07 AM
I saw the virtus from techpowerup!. Im assuming its a gaming desktop. If so, then thats a nice, not-too-redicululous but still awesome, design. The laptop doesn't seem that special. Its nice but, not great.

-Indybird

Greco101
09-04-2007, 12:12 AM
I think it would be awesome if HP released just the case. I don't care for the parts inside, they are usually overpriced for what they are and they are always cheaply made parts. I'd rather invest my money into what I know is quality parts. That way I get exactly what I want. But, I don't think HP would do such a thing. They aren't that kind of company, which seems unfortunate looking at that case.

Ya, It would be pretty sweet if they offered a barebone version - just mobo, psu and gpu.

Quakken
09-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Just an amazing MOBO, and amazing PSU and Gpu all for wholesale prices. They would make millions. I would very buy that case with cheap/awesome barebone stuff. And you know it could be cheap with all the wholesale pricing they get on stuff (like 5000 at at time).

Hope they make an AMD/ATI version...

xRyokenx
09-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Those are nice looking, finally a computer that's not hideously ugly or boring...

TheGreatSatan
09-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Ever since they bought VooDoo they've been better than ever

Quakken
09-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, after they bought voodoo, they started to use some of their ideals. Heck, if voodoo wasn't double priced (and it had the HP employee discount) there would be one sitting under my desk right now.

If only... if only...

Greco101
09-04-2007, 08:57 PM
"Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

The HP Pavilion dv2550se (GA508UA) verve notebook is not available in a bare bones model. This product is a ready to ship notebook, and does not have customize options. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause."

Quakken, maybe you have the hookup? :D

chaksq
09-05-2007, 09:16 AM
My new Gateway is just as sexy as that HP laptop. Seriously I have brushed aluminum and a real sleek look. But I have seen those HPs and they do look real nice too.

Crazy Buddhist
09-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Those are nice looking, finally a computer that's not hideously ugly or boring...

never seen mine then? ;)

Crazy Buddhist
09-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Viva la revolucion'!

It will not be long, before a person can customize their PC's looks, graphics, paint schemes, LED colors, cooling, etc from a website for a manufacturer. ... -Jeremy

if you think about the way dell make machines this is not a radical step for them at all. I would guess they could implement personalised case painting, from your own design, within three months of chosing to. not so easy for other manufacturers becuse dells methods are ideally suited.

Vertigo
09-05-2007, 11:14 AM
A step in the right direction for HP imo, I've been in the market for a new laptop and was considering a Dell XPS, but this one actually gives me pause. The price combined with the components and the overall look of the Verve make it one helluva a contender.

Zephik
09-07-2007, 03:14 AM
HP Blackbird 002 Gaming Desktop (http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/05/hps-blackbird-002-gaming-rig-gets-real/) - Engadget Review (http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/06/hp-blackbird-002-gaming-rig-reviewed/)

:think:

Elenril
09-07-2007, 09:04 AM
*drool* I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one of these laptops at work when they're released in Australia.

Vertigo
09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Just ordered a pair of the Verve laptops. One for the wife, one for me. Had to put my desktop upgrade project on hold for a bit, but I think it's worth it.

Quakken
09-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Good for you. HP is coming out with some very exciting stuff. I really like where they are going... hm...

hp stock...

Zephik
09-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Just ordered a pair of the Verve laptops. One for the wife, one for me. Had to put my desktop upgrade project on hold for a bit, but I think it's worth it.

Your going to give us some pictures and a small review of your thoughts on the Verve right? ;)

Thats one of the negatives about selling it through bestbuy exclusively. They suck when it comes to online advertisement in my opinion. They need a customer review section, more pictures and... well thats all I care for really. Just wish it was more like newegg. I guess I can always go look at it at the bestbuy store, but then again, thats almost an hour drive from where I live currently. ><

elbarto241
09-07-2007, 11:51 PM
agreed, bestbuy.com could use a makeover [long-over due too].

those new HP look really nice. LOVE that recessed I/O front ports.

i think i found some inspiration for a mod :D

Vertigo
09-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Just got home with both laptops, my wife is ridiculously excited. The finish on these things is really top notch, there's also a lot of ports and they're all on the sides so no more tilting the monitor to plug in a flash drive. It also came with several bonuses I hadn't expected. For starters, the Verve comes with remote control. It's tiny. But the buttons are big enough that even my big hands have no problems. The controls are for power and dvd functionality mostly. And thusfar work flawlessly. The installed software seems fairly lean honestly, which is a good thing. There's a trial version of Norton and MS Office, as well as Rhapsody and HP Photosmart. Aside from that, no real bloat to speak of. I do wish I could've gotten these with XP rather than Vista, but I doubt you can find many retailers without vista on every machine at this time. Other features on the Verve include a decent set of ear buds, the sound is decent on them but nothing to write home about. (I'll stick with my Seinheiser head phones). The built in webcam was another nice surprise, like most cams the quality is suspect, but it does a passable job for a built in job. I'm installing a few games now, and AquaMark +3DMark now. I'll report back with my benchmark results and anything further I have to report.

The Scores:

AQUAMARK
GFX 1107
CPU 10289

3DMARK
1514 3DMarks

.Maleficus.
09-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Check this out.

PC Gamer gave the Blackbird a 97%... HIGHEST HARDWARE RATING EVER.

:up: