PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem Tutorial - get your internet working!

Mysteriphys
09-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I will add pics as time permits, I'm getting pretty tired atm.

please note: you must TURN OFF your firewalls to access the configuration page listed below EXCEPT for the built in firewall on your computer, it's ok to have this one on. also your security settings on your browser are at least set to default local during the time you're doing the modem config, you'll want to change the security so you can access the internet as soon as you've gotten to the point that you're trying to get on it though.

also motorola SAYS your modem can support up to 32 computers... unless you have a routers on routers, (or one of the really expensive ones with 32+ built in) and it hides the network from the modem, I can't see this being true, and were that the case, you could run as many ip's as you wanted as long as the router was acting like a single IP through the modem. (and calling your isp to have an ip added is a waste of money... no single computer is going to use the entire connection by itself... and any isp that thinks they can get away with charging for extra ip's is soon to go the way of the dodo bird...

I've noticed a few people having issues with their internet connections lately and I figured this would be helpful to some of you who have at least 3 machines in your house especially if they're using multiple OS's on some of them.

these instructions are for XP and a motorola modem BUT used as a general guideline should get you going again. on any windows OS and most if not all modems.

Since each computer will teach the cable modem its own MAc ID and each OS on the system will assign the NIC(Network Interface Card) a differing MAC ID (dunno why, but it does it to me constantly) basically the modem will look at all the MAC ID's and after a while it'll just say "ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!" and suddenly you're having issues connecting anything more to it, I.E. BRAND NEW wireless system and you computer is going, well I SEE the network, but sorry, I can't get into it... or even wired to a new mobo(motherboard) you just installed with the built in gigabit lan! so you're pretty much here, and you're thinking "great I bought a @%*@ed mobo," or "the wireless card is screwed." fear not, if your system is reporting these bits as fully operational, and you can SEE that piece of the network, there is hope!

two important things to know/try,

first: the instructions here can be potentially HARMFUL to your equipment... I cannot be held responsible for anything you do here, you take the situation into your own hands being the one completing the operation, I'm just offering some input to hopefully help your situation. :)

second: if you have a window of time available (like when you go to bed no one is online) try disconnecting the modem COMPLETELY over night, and by completely I don't mean from the time you go to sleep to the time you wake up, I mean everything that plugs into it lan cable power and cable, each will supply their own voltage and potentially keep the addressing info stored on the modem while it's disconnected from the others. leave it over night and try again, USUALLY the modem will forget the info while it's cut off from power sources, and save you the aggrivation of going through the rest of this. (thisis also NOT harmful to your modem)

but if thats not an option or you're just impatient keep reading, this is for you.

First thing, is most important and can be the most frustrating... depending on whether you have other working computers on your system.

If there is, skip part one, you'll be happy you did... really, you will.

Part one.

If you only have one machine, it's likely your modem is burned already, I'd just call up the cable co, have them work it over on their end and if theres still nothing set up a trouble call to check the modem and the lines. if you're sure the modem is good ask them to restore your modem back to it's factory default settings, if they say "uhh what" or equivalent ask for a sup, they're hsi tech support, they're supposed to know how to do it, if NO ONE seems to know how, I'm sorry, refer back to the overnight disconnect.

step one: if you have at least 2 systems and one is online but you can't really use it otherwise you'll get a bonk on the head from said user owning (or thinking they own) said computer, steal it away from your significant other or kid just long enough to look at the ip config settings, to get to those go to START-SETTINGS-CONTROL PANEL-NETWORK CONNECTIONS- and their you find a connected and firewalled perfectly normal connection, WOOT... now to steal the settings! -right click-STATUS- theres a window with some info, nothing useful switch over to the SUPPORT tab at the top. theres a bit of info, slightly useful, but not quite enough info to get where you want to go, click the details button, there we go, a plethera of handy info

Physical Address: _this is the address of the computer currently connected to the modem, when you finally get to the modem config and use the addresses tab you'll see this there,
IP Address: <--- take this down, but make sure you don't use the same one. so it'll be XXX.XXX.XXX.95 if theirs is XXX.XXX.XXX.92 195 to their 192 75-72 etc
Subnet Mask: you need this
Default Gateway: need it
DHCP Server: can take it down, but with the dns, you'll be getting where you want, it's this dhcp that is rejecting you due to the overload of MAC ID's
Lease Obtained: not important
Lease Expires: not important
DNS Servers: write down BOTH, it'll give you the option when you start configing and it'll be helpful
WINS Server: should be empty

so now you've got this list:

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS Servers

turn the computer back over to your unhappy camper go back to the other computer.

step two: now you're in the sticky =X

so now you're manually configing you ip, and network access info, yyum.
START-SETTINGS-CONTROL PANEL-NETWORK CONNECTIONS- and you see your unhappy connection right click, properties this time, find your internet protocol(tcp/ip)
and click it's properties tab when you're in there unless you've already tried to set some of this it'll say "obtain automatically with a dot next to it, click on the option to manually config this info on both ip and DNS you can see here why you took down both dns addresses. enter the info click ok till you're all the way out. it's likely that this isn't actually going to solve your problem you'll probly get the annoying "local area network has limited or no connectivity" warning, fear not, you didn't make it worse! in fact this is the point at which we move on to part two, the part the lucky owners of to systems that they have full use of got to skip to

PART TWO! gimmie my cable modem config screen!!!

using the address: 192.168.100.1 - you should be able to access the modems config screen, motorola modems will let you right in, since motorola figures if you know enough to have that address, you shouldn't have a problem getting in, abit modem users will find that the username and password ROOT ROOT will get you in usually no problem unless the modem is second hand from some smartass who thought he'd "hack" his modem (abit programming is built on unix so you get why it's root root)

so now you're in! (or should be) first thing to do, check your addresses tab on the left. down the bottom there should be a list of mac addresses from your computers on the network, 1 or two will be self, thats the modem, which makes you realize how easy it is to fill the modems address list, if their are 7 listed, bingo, theres your problem. if not, could still be the issue, you never know what they set your connection limit to. (the isp can do that) so now you're on the fast track to fixing your problem.

(at this point if you want to see how normal your signal is switch to the signal tab and write down all that info for comparison to online info that you can google later) (i'll try to get links for stuff like this when I'm not tired :-P)

(this is where your getting to the "potentially harmful operations, restoring can sometimes burn the modem if it's already a little friggy)
click on the configuration Tab here you'll have 2 buttons you can click, RESTORE FACTORY DEFAULTS and RESET MODEM at this point your wanting to RESTORE FACTORY DEFAULTS which pretty much is like a quick format of the stoarge of info on your modem, and hence you'll probly need anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes for this to reset. and alot of the time WILL take the 30 minutes. I have a little trick for this wait about 10 seconds, 30 if you're feeling iffy about all this, and reset the modem using the button on the screen, it'll bring up a screen that gives you a reload button, wait about a minute or two and click that, and it should load you up to the main screen again and telling you whats connected since you clicked the reset button. click on addresses and everything should be cleared, if you have one or two MAC ID's in there it's ok, go back to the other screen, when everything is online again, go back to the network connection-properties and set everythign back to automatic, the dns will have changed so your settings from the other computers will be null, you really shouldn't need to reboot, but I recommend it just to clear all the settings, same with your other systems, a reboot should do it, and just the computers that are actively on the network will be regeistered on the modem. and everything should be good to go!

Mysteriphys
09-04-2007, 08:04 AM
now if this didn't help you are definately at the point where you should format and install linux and learn to code, or smash the computer to bits. :) or call the cable company and yell at them again, when I was HSI support people loved to do this for hours.

believe it or not, if the guy/girl on the line knows what they're talking about, by the end of the call you'll be singing them praises to whatever your god is :-D (or anti-god) they really can help (SOMETIMES)

(you'll also notice anyone that was online will be whining or yelling, and you can go HEHEHEHE!)

here is the motorola website for cable modem support: Motorola modem support (http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/default.asp?supportSection=CableModems) here you can find all the details on how to get into that modem of yours. also should reference proper operating specs, which was mentioned above

the newest cable modems don't necessarily follow these rules, but alot of them do, so this is when I provided the info at hand.

p.s. I had to move some of this to a new post due to character limits

DaveW
09-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I double Repped ya for this huge effort. Well done that man. I'm sure someone out there is looking for this right this very second, and as with all of life's other problems, the answers lie here in TBCS!

-Dave

XcOM
09-04-2007, 10:30 AM
+rep'ed very good tut

Mysteriphys
09-04-2007, 01:46 PM
wow, thanks a million guys :-D, :-P just think, it's not even done yet, soon as I've got a keyboard with a working print screen key I'll get pics to go with it :-D