PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of making a source mod for steam

NamesAreUseless
09-03-2007, 11:21 PM
So, I am considering making a mod for half life 2. So, I'm asking, do you think making a mod based on the movie removed animated gif"shawn of the dead" is a interesting idea?I'm considering making it co-op so you can play in a team, like the movie.
Also, is there anyone here wanting to help out on anything... (I doubt that)

Spawn-Inc
09-04-2007, 02:05 AM
that would be pretty cool to play it done well, i would certainly try it. +rep for the idea.

AKA_RA
09-04-2007, 05:43 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd certainly play a co-op zombie themed source game. I've seen others, but it just involved a horde of zombies AI's on a map rushing you and the goal was merely kill or be killed.

HackSore
09-04-2007, 10:30 AM
T'was an awesome movie, and it would make an awesome mod!
but yeah, to make it worthwhile, it would take a lot of effort, the kill or be killed zombie source mods dont have much longevity, but an objective co-op based one would be a real blast!

NamesAreUseless
09-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I would've started earlier, but my laptop seems to get a corrupted system32 file every few months.But, when i make it don't you think it'd be a bit short?
Cause its mostly,go to your mom, rally up the guys, go to the winchester...blah blah blah....I just had an idea...how bout if you play coop you have a specific role, like you have to play as Liz and you start at her apartment,and same with all the others. The only problem here is, I'll need a lot of custom models, and even if the guys here with 3ds max help, I don't know how to get it in game.
Also,does anyone here know how to use the hammer world editor, I can't figure out how to make rounded corners.Also, I can't start on the maps and stuff cause my brothers being a total computer whore.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd certainly play a co-op zombie themed source game. I've seen others, but it just involved a horde of zombies AI's on a map rushing you and the goal was merely kill or be killed.

I'm gonna reskin the hl2 zombies so they'll look like the citizens and i'll give them more casual clothes.I'll try to make a system where if you get bitten,you slowly get infected...and you know how the rest goes....the only problem is...I can't code Lua...at all..

xRyokenx
09-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Now you know some of my problems... I tried to make a mod for Oblivion but can't figure out that program worth a damn... I wonder if they have a class on this stuff somewhere, it's easier than following ****ty tutorials. Good luck though, your idea sounds like a good mod that I'd play if I had HL2.

NamesAreUseless
09-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Hmmm...while searching for reference pics of the pub, it turns out it's going to be torn down for flats...i started now, and all i have so far is the corner of the pub

slytherock
09-04-2007, 03:48 PM
So, I am considering making a mod for half life 2. So, I'm asking, do you think making a mod based on the movie removed animated gif"shawn of the dead" is a interesting idea?I'm considering making it co-op so you can play in a team, like the movie.
Also, is there anyone here wanting to help out on anything... (I doubt that)

shawn of the dead.. mm, good idea :up: But remove that little .gif, before you turn into a zombie

dgrmkrp
09-04-2007, 04:02 PM
I would be interested in helping.. I had some encounters with the hammer, I can do stuff in 3ds.. and I think you have to convert the models, from 3ds to the archive thing HL uses.. I can't promise a quick start tho, but maybe next week? PM me with the ideas or post em here :) I can at least make some funny looking weapons :D Loved the ending on that movie, by the way :) and the funny mix of zombie and English humor :)

D1337
09-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Dont, even if you actually make progress in the mod, its going to take months to get something even slightly usable. The idea seems like one of those spur of the moment cool things, but in reality even if the game was finished and kicked ass (which im willing to bet it will be neither)

the gameplay will only go so far and it seems like a 25 min game that you never go back to play again.

Without a few expert lua coders your screwed.

sure you could remodel everything and just use re-skinned knife bots with a reduced speed, but it would end up horrible.

NamesAreUseless
09-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Dont, even if you actually make progress in the mod, its going to take months to get something even slightly usable. The idea seems like one of those spur of the moment cool things, but in reality even if the game was finished and kicked ass (which im willing to bet it will be neither)

the gameplay will only go so far and it seems like a 25 min game that you never go back to play again.

sure you could remodel everything and just use re-skinned knife bots with a reduced speed, but it would end up horrible.

But, almost everything is one of those ideas that you just get, besides, what fun would it be if i didn't try at least.Well...I'll try to make the game longer at least by making cut scenes in face poser.Besides,it's too late to make me stop, I already started.(It might not be a big build yet, but i started and i won't quit till i have to).Also, there are about 200 lua coder in the Facepunch forums and I'm sure at least a couple would like to join in.I might not know many lua coders that will help me for sure, but if i make it a mod in the counter strike format, I know at least 2 good C++ coders.

thats not the point,my point is, Its a freakin shaun of the dead game, who wouldn't want that!

Chev86
09-04-2007, 06:54 PM
wow D1337 your like that one teacher everyone hates killing his little dream.

Anyways The mod seems sweet i'd for sure play it.

NamesAreUseless
09-04-2007, 06:55 PM
But remove that little .gif, before you turn into a zombie
It's bit too late for that, you already quoted my post. :D

D1337
09-04-2007, 07:27 PM
wow D1337 your like that one teacher everyone hates killing his little dream.

Anyways The mod seems sweet i'd for sure play it.

Well since no one else seemed to be reasonable, i thought i should bring some insight into the thread. I mean encouragement is a good thing, but getting into a long term project that you cant do the majority of the work yourself isnt the best idea. Especially when your dev team is going to be composed of random people on the Internet.

Just remember that people will have higher standards for games that come from movies, and if it doesn't resemble the movie well enough, they will express it.

Is this going to be single player or multiplayer?

NamesAreUseless
09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
There are no final decisions yet as of now, but most I'm going to use the hl2 deathmatch format, so you can play co-op on a lan connection.

XcOM
09-04-2007, 07:38 PM
i've just noticed this, i thnk tis is going to be a really hard project, your going to need god on your side.

good luck, and i might play it.

NamesAreUseless
09-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Yes, this will be hard, but who said I'm gonna do this in a matter of weeks or finish it any time soon? Seeing how there is school and my brother hogging the computer, this is merely a fun idea i had and thought, "why not".Also,getting random people off the internet to work on it,D1337? Sure it may be random, but no one is forcing them to do it. All i do is ask for a couple models, and if they want to they can join in. Thats how Garry Newman got his team for Gmod and look, hes makin' money off of it. I can't expect the same, but it's entirely possible for this to turn out good, and an equal chance of it to turn out bad, if not more.I'd have a better chance for getting help at facepunch but most of the guys there are really immature and I'll end up banned for posting a non gmod related mod.Besides, you guys seem more reliable.Also, lua isn't really needed, hl2 doesn't have lua in it at all, it's all a series of triggers.

HackSore
09-05-2007, 01:31 PM

Everyone has gotta start somewhere, it seems that most of the people getting jobs in the gaming industry these days are people with a decent mod under there belt.
The modding community seems to be a strong one, and im sure he could find a few people to colaborate with, and the more work that is done with something like the hammer editor, the more proficient you get with it.

My advice is go for it, try and do as much of it as you can yourself, learn as you go, and stick at it! dont have long breaks between working on it either, as from my experience, a week or two is more then enough to forget how to use something like the hammer editor completely! lol.

Good luck with it, i cant wait to play it!

NamesAreUseless
09-05-2007, 07:15 PM
I can't work on it much today because my arms are freakin' tired....It's a wonder that i can even type at all...I broke my backpack, so I had to carry 12 pounds of books home and it takes me 30 mins to walk...and...its freakin' hot today...