PDA

View Full Version : STAGE 2 - new mobo still problems... but different ones!!

bflanigin
09-04-2007, 01:16 AM
ok well if anyone follwed my first post (HERE) (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9761) and remembers the huge wealth of info i got (computers 101), it i had a mobo crap out on me. had a computer shop and i guru freind of mine diagnose it. both said mobo. Ok so i bought a new one and a freind of mine's dad put it in for me. he works for a tech company and has been fixing and building computers since the 70's. This is the first computer that didn't fire right up after he did the swap. Here is what it does. you turn on the power supply, hit the power button, then everything turns on like it should. but the mobo just beeps in rapid style... think machine gun. but never sends signal to monitor so i hav nothing to work with. ok so maybe we did somehitng wrong...so we unplugged everything one by one and in between each thing we took off we plugged it back in and hit the switch with the same problem. Untill we got down to... a brand new motherboard.... my old proccessor... and a psu.... same thing happend. maybe.... just maybe its a psu.... so he grabbed another one and put it on... nope same thing.... so its either a dead proccesor.... or a bad motherboard.... or am i forgetting something. ill wait here and discuss with all of the geniuses on here, but i know its hard without the thing in front of you to go... you idiot plug this in here not here... if it becomes to hard and no one on here can figure it out without feeling it in person i have some thing im gonna sell on ebay and use the money to take it to the computer store here in town. Either way ill be sure to post up the results on what i/they/whoever finds so that the next noob like me can come along and find it.

Thanks for all your guys help in diagnosing this thing... i really feel like im getting close... just not there yet. Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

bflanigin
09-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Ok i've been reading up on motherboard beeps, and it looks like i need to count how many beeps i get. The highest number i see is 11 and im pretty sure it beeps more than that but ill check and repost. I was thinking after some reading it could possibly be RAM but one of the things we did was pull the ram and boot up with the same problem. but i may try to run one each individual ram chip... edit to add i dont have a static cord... how should i go abouyt doing this?

Bucko
09-04-2007, 10:38 AM
You don't need a static cord. Just touch the case first to earth youself and discharge any static you have, then pull the RAM.

xRyokenx
09-04-2007, 10:42 AM
That and for the beep codes, just find out what BIOS you have and visit their website, they should have a list of what they mean on there.

OT: Bucko, you have 11 bars? Wow... /OT

bflanigin
09-04-2007, 12:32 PM
ok i will try that here shortly... does this sound like a logical solution?? maybe ill get more feedback after i try that first... one step ata a time.
Oh, how do i find out what bios i have? is that something that should be in the packet of info for the motherboard? its a foxconn if that helps.... note not a direct replacement for my asus but several third parties said it would work.

alexanderH
09-04-2007, 08:01 PM
if the beeps are consistent in speed and tone then what I recommend is turning off everything.
As bucko said, touch some part of the metal case before handling anything inside. You said you checked the ram. Did you try booting the machine with no ram in it?
If not, I highly suggest you try that! IF you do that, you should not be able to boot into bios. You will hear beeps. If these are the same beeps as you currently have, please report back. If they are different beeps, again report back. If you get no beeps, you have some other problems. If you want to do a bit more before reporting back and waiting for a response, after all your tests are done put in one stick of ram. Make sure it is firmly connected and snapped in and try to boot the computer. If it still will not boot, and beeps turn everything off, pull it out, and install another stick(provided you have another). Again make sure it is firmly clicked into place. Try booting again. If you have success with either ram sticks, then boot into windows on the single chip and do a proper shutdown after you decide everything else is ok. Then proceed with the next ram set.

I hope that helps, and it is clear enough. You've got some **** luck that it still aint working, and I'm sorry to hear!
Let me know what happens.

bflanigin
09-04-2007, 10:00 PM
sorry i didn't make it clear. After full assembly it had the problem. We unplugeed drives tried again, unplugged HD tried again. Unplugged front connections tried again, unplugged graphics card tried again, unplged wireless card tried again, took out ram tried again. kept going till it was just a motherboard with no success. we then tried another motherboard. kept doing the same thing. Yes beeps are constant spacing, constant tone. i never tied just one ram chip in but i figured my bases would have cover that option.

i will try the ram thing you suggested tonight... i think i might have shut things off after the beeping started on the 8th + attempt. but ill try what you said and report back. thanks again for all your help so far friends... i think im getting close.

Spawn-Inc
09-05-2007, 12:54 AM
ok i will try that here shortly... does this sound like a logical solution?? maybe ill get more feedback after i try that first... one step ata a time.
Oh, how do i find out what bios i have? is that something that should be in the packet of info for the motherboard? its a foxconn if that helps.... note not a direct replacement for my asus but several third parties said it would work.

turn on the computer and press the pause key and it should tell you the bios info at the top, if not hit space and wait until it's about to change to the next screen then hit pause and it should be there.

you can see it here at the top Bios v6.00 or something (first line)

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/StartupScreen.gif

bflanigin
09-05-2007, 01:33 PM
ok well alexander first...
i pulled one ram boot and beep again. replaced and pulled the other one same thing. so no change whe i did those. i also switched their sockets and tried again with no luck.

i dont get a monitor feed... so i dont think that you solution will help much but i will definatly remember that for the future.

by proc im gonna guess processor. yeah its the 775 socket. hmm interesting that you mention the thermal paste we didn't have any when we put the board in but the guy said it would be plenty. however nothing has time to heat up... i would say that after i hit the on button, the beeping starts within .25 to .5 seconds. i dont know how comfortable i am trying to reset the proc in the hole the builder did it twice and the shape only alows t to go in one way... i guess i will try to reset the proc tonight unless any more suggestions come up.

bflanigin
09-05-2007, 03:56 PM
ok ill go get some today and put it on tonight when i reset the proc. I will advise on the results. Any more ideas for me to check when i open up the big black box tonight?

ETA: thanks guys for all your help i know you don't have to help a non computer savvy person and i appreciate you taking you time to help me.

Crazy Buddhist
09-05-2007, 05:13 PM
from pchell (http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml)

hopefully it is NOT an AMI BIOS. Only info I can locate on 10 or 11 beeps:

10 Short BeepsYour problem lies deep inside the CMOS. All chips associated with the CMOS will likely have to be replaced. Your best bet is to get a new motherboard. 11 Short BeepsYour problem is in the Cache Memory chips on the motherboard. Reseat or Replace these chips.

.Maleficus.
09-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Restating what Minty said: No paste? YIKES! Trust me dude, it does not take long for a proc to heat up. I had a bad bracket for a CPU cooler once, it was slightly lifted from the CPU, and after 3 seconds of the PC on, the BIOS said it was at 87C and climbing :eek:. That eventually killed the chip. And that was with fresh paste.

Well, my only suggestion is make sure the RAM is in all the way. It can feel like it's in, but not be. If all you're testing is the PSU, CPU, mobo, and RAM, it has to be one of those. Sorry man, I'm no good at diagnosing anything without being there :/.

bflanigin
09-05-2007, 08:14 PM
ok well i went out and bought some paste and reset the PSU and put everything back on with a grain of rice sized paste and made sure the cpu cooler was on tight. still same problem... but at least now its safe. any new ideas

alexanderH
09-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Well this is starting to get a bit more interesting.
I am definately going to have to ask you to count, and describe the beeps you hear as best you can. While the following list is pretty good, there are other warning beeps and codes. So if you do not find your solution on the list or it does not solve the problem let me know. But please do your best to identify which warning you are getting.
One other thing I would like you to try for now. Unplug your hard drives, take out the ram, unplug your video card, basically all I want to have power is your processor, the heatsink fan for your processor, and your motherboard. Start up the machine with just those essentials. Make sure your video card is also removed. Please describe what beeps you get from the computer then. Most importantly if they are the same as with everything plugged in. I'd hoped we could have tried that before re-seating the processor, but I was a little late on the reply. And While you are at it, record what you plug in (one by one) start up the machine and record any beeps/warnings. Until everything is plugged back in. At which point you will have the same issue you are having now OR it will hopefully work. But if it still is not remedied we will have compiled a nice list of what causes what in your system.

I hope that makes sense, if not PM or leave a message! I believe we are a lot closer to a fix than you think.

1 Short Beep One beep is good! Everything is ok, that is if you see things on the screen. If you don't see anything, check your monitor and video card first. Is everything connected? If they seem fine, your motherboard has some bad chips on it. First reset the SIMM's and reboot. If it does the same thing, one of the memory chips on the motherboard are bad, and you most likely need to get another motherboard since these chips are soldered on.
2 Short Beeps Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.
3 Short Beeps Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above.
4 Short Beeps Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above. It could also be a bad timer
5 Short Beeps Your motherboard is complaining. Try reseating the memory and rebooting. If that doesn't help, you should consider another motherboard. You could probably get away with just replacing the CPU, but that's not too cost-effective. Its just time to upgrade!
6 Short Beeps The chip on your motherboard that controls your keyboard (A20 gate) isn't working. First try another keyboard. If it doesn't help, reseat the chip that controls the keyboard, if it isn't soldered in. If it still beeps, replace the chip if possible. Replace the motherboard if it is soldered in.
7 Short Beeps Your CPU broke overnight. Its no good. Either replace the CPU, or buy another motherboard.
8 Short Beeps Your video card isn't working. Make sure it is seated well in the bus. If it still beeps, either the whole card is bad or the memory on it is. Best bet is to install another video card.
9 Short Beeps Your BIOS is bad. Reseat or Replace the BIOS.
10 Short Beeps Your problem lies deep inside the CMOS. All chips associated with the CMOS will likely have to be replaced. Your best bet is to get a new motherboard.
11 Short Beeps Your problem is in the Cache Memory chips on the motherboard. Reseat or Replace these chips.
1 Long, 3 Short Beeps You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips.
1 Long, 8 Short Beeps Display / retrace test failed. Reseat the video card.

Crazy Buddhist
09-05-2007, 10:53 PM
all the above/below applies to AMI BIOS only. What is the motherboard ??? then we can identify BIOS type :up:

1 Short Beep One beep is good! Ev ...

bflanigin
09-06-2007, 12:23 PM
ok... alexander i will start from the top of your thread... the beeping does not stop. They are short and very quick hardley any spacing in between them. Picture tony montana on the steps of his mansion with a mobo speaker... They do not stop... i found that info above and tried to cound... i stoped at 27 because the numbers had too many syllabals for me to keep up with beeps. I hit the psu switch then front power button and beeping starts and doesnt stop untill i turn off the psu... im not really liking the fact i may have to leave it on for a long time but i can do that... longest i've kept it on was probably... 30-45 seconds.

ETA: This weekend i can try to take a video of it and post on youtube and give a link if that would help?

i may not have made it clar but at one point all i had plugged in was the PSU to the mobo and the proc fan. same problem. I then reassembled one by one peive by peice. wirless card then graphics card, then usb stuff, then front connections, then hard drive, then other drives ETC untill everything was plugged in. We attempted to boot after each peice was installed. with the same result so i think i've done that step you asked me to do. if you think i should re-do it i will....

it is a foxconn... all i remember is it was a socket 775 p35a ddr2(i think) i could find the link if that would help... it was 139 from newegg.

honestly i know how i fried my mobo i wouldn't be too surprised if i fried the proc too... diagnosis is hard though... i have a laptop that the hard drive crashed on and it has a 775 socket proc(i think.. its a pentium4) i may swap after all options are exhausted to see if this fixes... but fear not i trust all of you and i will only do this when this thread is long forgotten with no solution. Hopefully we wont get there but uh yeah :)

hey thanks for all your help, and alexander thanks for the encouragement. This is one of many things piled up on my life right now so encouragement helps.

Crazy Buddhist
09-06-2007, 01:44 PM
ok... alexander i will start from the top of your thread... the beeping does not stop. They are short and very quick hardley any spacing in between them
it is a foxconn... all i remember is it was a socket 775 p35a ddr2(i think) i could find the link if that would help... it was 139 from newegg.

1. stop turning it on >>>>STOP<<<<.
2. DO NOT MAKE A VIDEO
3. post the link

we need to know exactly what mobo it is to know what that beeping means

4. STOP TURNING IT ON (IN CASE THAT WASN'T CLEAR)

:)

bflanigin
09-06-2007, 02:53 PM
got it no more turning on.

link to the mobo is here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186119).

Crazy Buddhist
09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
right just from that newegg page I see the review below that tells me this mobo can be a pain. I can not access the foxconn downloads page to see what the bios beeps mean (can someone help here???) but I do think we may if we are lucky solve this quickly.

1. follow the steps in the description below to clear the CMOS:
the jumper is near the battery. do this with the power cord unplugged but leave the battery in. leave the jumper in the clear CMOS pposition for ten seconds or so then return to normal.

2. plug in and power on with nothing but the mobo plugged in and see if you still have the same issue

3. report back

from newegg reviews:
"Other Thoughts: The reason I wrote this review is to let fellow purchasers know of 2 issues I had assembling my PC around this motherboard. First, shortly after installing XPsp2 my PC would no longer boot. The 'problem' LED on the motherboard lit up and the machine would not start. It behaved as if something was wrong with the powersupply. Had to clear CMOS (move jumper from pins 2&3 (normal mode), to 1&2 (to clear bios settings), then back to pins 2&3. Then go back into BIOS and correct settings."

Luke122
09-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Very short and very fast beeps?

Is your keyboard plugged in? If so, is there a stuck key? :)

I've tried to catch up as best I can on this thread, but I didnt notice anywhere if the keyboard was unplugged or plugged in during startup.

bflanigin
09-06-2007, 06:46 PM
to be honest i never hooked up a keyboard... the one i have is wireless so i need windows to open up to recognize it...

i will try the jumper test tonight... now by jumper what are we talking about... im not near the computer right now... ok here is what im gonna do. Go look at the mobo tonight and make sure i know what im jumping exactly and repost to verify. then i will attept this step tomorow.

alexanderH
09-06-2007, 07:49 PM
not so surprising to me, I cannot get a hold of ANYONE at foxconn and there website is struggling miserably. so For the time being I cannot access any foxconn information, as after a few google searches everyone who has had problems were linked back to foxconn and no update on their fixes. So it seems we will have to wait for foxconn.

One last thing, flanigin if your bios has any sort of error that it runs into while trying to boot, you will want/need a keyboard that works without being booted into windows. While most wireless can, you need to be sure. If you reset the bios, or replace the cmos battery or anything like that you often have to fix settings in bios before you can boot to windows. but just FYI for now.

bflanigin
09-06-2007, 09:26 PM
yeah i have access to a bunch of keyboards ill plug one into the beast for the time being. and ill be looking at that plug soon to try to make sure i know what were talking about.

PS i love how my original thread is now the "noobs go here" thread! thanx alexander. ( /sarcasm :) )

alexanderH
09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I wish I knew as much about cars as you know about computers, let alone how much you know about cars. Computers I can afford though. haha. I'm just typing things out as I remember them not because they are newbish but just to make sure we are all on the same page. Because it sucks when you think you have something figured out only to find that one thing was out of place the whole time.

Crazy Buddhist
09-06-2007, 11:15 PM
if you still haven;t found what you are lookinng for there is a picture here (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134746&postcount=7) but use instructions as my post above.

it will be good to have that standard keyboard plugged in from now on too.

alexanderH
09-06-2007, 11:43 PM
if you still haven;t found what you are lookinng for there is a picture here (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134746&postcount=7) but use instructions as my post above.

it will be good to have that standard keyboard plugged in from now on too.

Good call buddhist +rep for that.
I forgot about that sneaky little trick. Although I have a pretty good feeling that that will not solve bfalnigan's problem. But we will have to see.

Crazy Buddhist
09-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Good call buddhist +rep for that.
I forgot about that sneaky little trick. Although I have a pretty good feeling that that will not solve bfalnigan's problem. But we will have to see.

It's a shot I will grant you BUT it is a fussy Mobo and therefore well worth taking.

This Mobo is also a known DOA'er and 'fail after a month'er

ps ty 4 reppage :)

Crazy Buddhist
09-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Sooo ..... what's happenin flan?

alexanderH
09-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Sooo ..... what's happenin flan?

He'll get back to us on monday I believe. If I remember correctly without this computer he has to wait to get access to another machine. But I could be wrong, and I've definately been wrong before.

bflanigin
09-10-2007, 04:48 PM
hey guys sorry i honestly havn't got around to checking... im sure ill find time tonight to check it. i had looked at the mobo a couple of times but i couldn't find what you guys were talking about... the word jumper got me... anyway that pic helped a ton so ill find it tonight and follow the destructions you gave me. thanks guys soryry to fall behind... that darn school thing is getting in the way of computers...

Crazy Buddhist
09-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey flan

no worries was hoping it had solved the problem and you were busy enjoying the computer !! Don't rush, take your time. School is important.

bflanigin
09-10-2007, 07:40 PM
ok well i did it, i unplugged the computer powercord and unplugged everything except the motherboard to the PSU. I then pulled off the jumper and moved it over to the other pin counted to 20 mississippi and then replaced and powerd up. Same Issue.

however i noticed somthing strange...ill try to layout what i see...
this is how it appeard on the mobo the text was there and everything except the pin and jumper are representative.

Normal 2-3
Clear 1-2

JUMPER
pin pin pin
CLR_CMOS

Now.... to me, i would say that right now the jumper is on pins one and two... but regardless i assumed that the two it was on were 2-3 and moved it over....but is it possible the mobo was assembled with the jumper on the wrong pins? What would happen if i tried to power on my computer with it on the wrong pins? (just to check) ... if this doesn't make sense let me know and i will try to clarify.

but ignoring that whats the next thing to check?

alexanderH
09-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Well I can say that I have never tried to boot a computer with the cmos jumper shorted. and frankly I'd rather not take my machine apart just to try. I will check around and see what issues this will cause if I can find anything. I would however expect that it would fail to boot as you would have either way too much power flowing through cmos or none at all. As I am pretty sure it is controled solely by battery. Hence when the battery dies you get plenty of issues, well atleast you used to. But thanks for the update flan, and we will let you know as soon as we have some more information.

Crazy Buddhist
09-11-2007, 08:15 AM
....but is it possible the mobo was assembled with the jumper on the wrong pins? What would happen if i tried to power on my computer with it on the wrong pins?

Some mobo's ship with the cmos jumper inthe clear cmos positon to save on battery life.

If you fired up the PC with it on the wrong pins not much would happen ... depends on the motherboard ... you might get a continuous beeping sound ....

Guess what I'm going to suggest .. if it looks wrong try moving it to the other side and turn on... but as I have said before all this should be in the documentation you got with the MOBO (might be on a disk in PDF format)

ONE Last thought .... You do have the four pin CPU power supply plugged in as well as the 24 pin ATX supply to the motherboard - right???

bflanigin
09-11-2007, 12:25 PM
ok the mobo is set up to use a 24 pin but my psu only has a 20 pin. and it is connected. and the 4 pin CPU supply is pluged in... again the outlet on the mobo actually is a six but it only goes in to four of the connectors. similer to the unused pins on the mobo for the PSU.

I may be able to get some pictures up of the inside of the computer. ill try but dont really have free time till.... maybe thursday? my RA job requires me to work desk which has a computer so yeah im limited on response time. and the library is on the other side of campus... plus 4 400 level classes... free time is hard to find. But this weekend at the latest ill get some pics of the setup together.

if i missed somehting to adress let me know. Otherwise im going to try to move that jumper and boot it again. and report back.

bflanigin
09-11-2007, 01:13 PM
well i just tested moving the jumper to the other two pins then booting up. Nothing not even the mobo came on. however i noticed that the light on the mobo goes off when i turn on the computer... is this normal??

if not ignore and re-hypothasis

Stockholm1984
09-11-2007, 05:31 PM
One idea just popped into my head, probably nothing seeing as you've tried a couple of PSUs, but some come with dual voltage switches on the back to select the correct voltage depending on the country that they are being used in (the ones I've owned in the UK do anyway). Am just thinking, check that the correct voltage has been selected for where you live in case its being loaded with either too heavy/light a load.

bflanigin
09-11-2007, 10:40 PM
mine is currently on the same voltage as it was when the old mobo was installed.... i want to say 115....

Crazy Buddhist
09-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Flan

My advice to you: take your mobo, proc and ram to the local computer store.

Tell them you think your PSU is the problem. Ask them to test by plugging it in to an appropriate power supply. If it works buy the power supply. If it doesnt they will probably have a helpful tech who will help you diagnose this issue.

I really think it is the PSU not up to the job. Either that or you have fried the proc with your experiments. But, you are not reaching resolution here so that is my advice.

CB

NOW A SHOUT: WHY OH WHY HAS NO ONE YET CHECKED THE BIOS CODES FOR THIS MOTHERBOARD? IF I WASN'T IN HOSPITAL I'D HAVE DONE IT GUYS - AND I HAVE ASKED LIKE THREE TIMES FOR SOMEONE TO PLEASE HELP OUT AND DO SO BUT YET WE HAVE NO BANANAS. here are some bananas by way of appology for shouting:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

bflanigin
09-13-2007, 12:34 AM
ok well im not going to be able to afford that untill... october or november or so, so if anyone has any ideas for me to try untill then please let me know i would be more than willing. i guess the big thing im looking for would be how to test a CPU....

thanks for all your help and i can guarentee i will report back incase anyone else has this problem in the future... or you just want to be more intelligent :)

Crazy Buddhist
09-13-2007, 01:27 AM
ok well im not going to be able to afford that untill... october or november

Flan .. go to the shop .. do as I said above .. they might test all parts for you .. the testing should be free if you are going to buy replacement for what is gone .. go back and buy in october/november .. I really think for a guy in your position establishing a relationship with the local computer tech is worth a million dollars.

Stockholm1984
09-13-2007, 02:56 AM
Going back to the beeps you've been experiencing, would you say they were high pitched or low? Just looked at another thread on this forum (Memory Issues - http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10606) , where Dilphat posted this chart: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/galaxyrider12/codes.jpg.
If they are what you'd class as high pitched beeps and you have an Award bios then it looks like the CPU is the problem. Still, I definitely agree with the Crazy one that you should take it down to your local PC shop and get them to give it a test they shouldn't charge you for it especially since you'd probably buy any replacements from them plus anything else in the future if they give you a decent customer service. Hope it gets sorted soon mate! :)

alexanderH
09-13-2007, 01:00 PM
CB - I have not been able to get access to the foxconn information systems. I was unable to find anything on google for them. So unfortunately I am still led to believe it is CPU or PSU. It will require hands on diagnosis with a previously working system. Unfortunately Flan.

Good luck!

Crazy Buddhist
09-13-2007, 04:07 PM
CB - I have not been able to get access to the foxconn information systems.

alexander you can download the motherboard manual from the bottom of this page. Take a look as the BIOS codes will be listed. Thanks for responding.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/EN-US/support/downloads.aspx?ProductModel=P35A&TypeID=en-gb0000001

Stockholm1984
09-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Had a look on the manual, on the screenshot of the BIOS we have the following:

v02.61 American Megatrends Inc.

I hope this was what you were looking for am still learning myself in these areas. Btw theres about 3 BIOS updates you can download from Foxconn for this MB one was only released about 10 days ago too. Thats if I've got the US dates round the right way. ;)

Stockholm1984
09-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Update: After searching for "AMI BIOS constant beep" on google came up with a site telling me that constant or beeping of no distinct pattern means lack of usable memory or video problem. I quote, "...the system complains long and loud if it can't find any usable memory, as there is no way to even start the boot process when this is the case."

Crazy Buddhist
09-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Cheers Stockholm. Further on in the manual there is probably a list of the beep codes, however, I have found this:

from: www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/ami.htm (http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/ami.htm)

Continuous Beeping: Memory or video problem

Explanation: The system is producing constant beeping in no specific pattern, or a fast "ringing" sound.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the system memory, or possibly the video card. The memory is more likely--the system complains long and loud if it can't find any usable memory, as there is no way to even start the boot process when this is the case. The motherboard itself could also be the problem.

Recommendation:

Troubleshoot the system memory.
Troubleshoot the video card.
Troubleshoot the motherboard.

There are guides on the website as to how to do the troubleshooting.

Flan: now you have reset the CMOS may be worth trying to put some RAM an yr vid card in and see if it still does the same. If it does take a trip to that site ^^ and read the troubleshooting guides

+rep Alexander & Stockholm

alexanderH
09-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Cheers Stockholm.

+rep Alexander & Stockholm
Cheers Buddhist and Stockholm.
Thanks a bunch for the link buddhist, that has been very helpful. AMI is awesome and it is as I expected. Although I never know with manufacturers OI am not too familiar with.

Anyways back to the manual. While AMI beep codes are generally the same it is hard to guarantee that the code you receive is truly an indication of your problem. With some further research I have learned that Foxconn is a manufacturer that has had some troubles in the past with this. While I would like to agree with the above posts that according to AMI your memory is not seated correctly, or it is faulty. Foxconn has been known to ship dead-on-arrival(DOA) hardware. So I still want to recommend that you see someone who has hardware to swap in/out with your hardware to verify that all of your stuff is or is not working. I am unclear as to whether or not that happened on your first visit. But you need to find out ASAP if the motherboard is dead or your chance of getting an RMA(Return to manufacturer Authorization) for the motherboard is slim.

Just to try and sum thnigs up nicely flan here is what needs to be done(mainly to make sure I posted all the info I should have posted).
Try unplugging and installing each piece or required hardware one at a time and record any changes in system behaviour.If after this you are still not dealing with a working system then you must find out what is faulty in the system. I think it will be in your best bet to see a computer specialist and have them check everything over and diagnose the problem for you. At which point I would recommend you have the fix the problem. It should be a motherboard/power supply replacement I gather. I find it hard to believe your memory is faulty in all this, but one never knows.
And if your motherboard is faulty, you NEED to know ASAP so you can get an RMA and have it sent back to Newegg or Foxconn, so you can either get a working replacement or your money back.

I hope that helps.
And I'm going to throw out some reps to everyone who has contributed here in helping you flan. Reps include Crazy Buddhist, Stockholme, Minty, Bucko, Ryoken, Spawn-Inc, Maleficus, Luke122 and definitely some rep out to you Flan. You have been mighty helpful and quite honestly very patient. I know many people who demand the fastest and most accurate responses and well its been a pleasure trying to help you.
I hope school is going awesome for you thus far and that you can remedy your computer problems very soon.

For now,
-Alexander

Crazy Buddhist
09-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Foxconn has been known to ship dead-on-arrival(DOA) hardware. So I still want to recommend that you see someone who has hardware to swap in/out with your hardware to verify that all of your stuff is or is not working.

-Alexander

Even one of the reviewers on Newegg had a DOA .. if it's the ssame batch of boards its a strong chance - but I think Newegg will replace it pronto if that is the case.

xRyokenx
09-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks Alex. Good luck with the mobo problem guys... I can't really think of any other way to help. Sort of... lost at the moment when it comes to problems, I've had too many lately and school is speeding up, blegh. Too much to do.

alexanderH
09-15-2007, 02:38 AM
Thanks Alex. Good luck with the mobo problem guys... I can't really think of any other way to help. Sort of... lost at the moment when it comes to problems, I've had too many lately and school is speeding up, blegh. Too much to do.

Tell me about it! I am in class from 8am to 6pm with two 30 minute breaks in there. So I'm at a desk learning for 9 hours! And then the horrid commutes from outer city to inner city. It sure is pretty brutal at times.

xRyokenx
09-15-2007, 12:01 PM
I have college, and hardly any time for my work, even though I have a lot, I have too much to figure out at home, school starts to pick up and everything else goes to hell. WHY?

Stockholm1984
09-16-2007, 06:32 PM
I hope the whole MB problems gets sorted ASAP and that I have been of some help. :) Good luck with the school work guys I'm sure you'll get it sorted. When it rains it pours eh...?

bflanigin
09-18-2007, 12:37 PM
thanks guys for all your help...as soon as i have the funds im going to drop it off at the local computer shop and have them look at it. the shop i have used in the past charges 25 for diagnosis, but all they did to check my mobo was short the two pins in the power supply and said yup its your mobo that willl be $25 so i threw i fit and left... i wont be going back there becaus ethat it a test i already did and explained that to them but they didn't much care. but there are two other in town i will call and see what their rates are.

EDIT: everyone in town charges $50 for diagnosis which can be subtracted from total bill if they do the work...bit expensive for me so yeah it'll be a while.

xRyokenx
09-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Where'd you get the mobo from? You could RMA it and just get another one... unless that isn't an option. o0

alexanderH
09-18-2007, 04:42 PM
thanks guys for all your help...as soon as i have the funds im going to drop it off at the local computer shop and have them look at it. the shop i have used in the past charges 25 for diagnosis, but all they did to check my mobo was short the two pins in the power supply and said yup its your mobo that willl be $25 so i threw i fit and left... i wont be going back there becaus ethat it a test i already did and explained that to them but they didn't much care. but there are two other in town i will call and see what their rates are.

EDIT: everyone in town charges $50 for diagnosis which can be subtracted from total bill if they do the work...bit expensive for me so yeah it'll be a while.

Is there anyone at school you can ask? You'd be surprised how many out there know computers. I would recommend RMA of your motherboard though. So you'd have to return to the place you bought it. If newegg or another online source you'll need to contact them. At any rate try and haggle a deal with a shop, I think you will be pleasantly surprised that if they listen to what you have already diagnosed and that you are a student you may be able to break away with a better deal.

Keep your head up!
-Cheers

Stockholm1984
09-19-2007, 02:44 AM
...25 for diagnosis, but all they did to check my mobo was short the two pins in the power supply and said yup its your mobo that willl be $25 so i threw i fit and left...

Wonderful customer service that! If I were you I'd pay the extra money but actually get a decent test done, that is if you take it to a shop. Though I definitely agree with Alexander, if your school has an IT department or theres anyone around who really knows the ins-and-outs of computers such as an IT teacher it might be worth asking them how much they know about it and if they'd be willing to test it for you. However, if you can return the MB direct to the place you bought it from that would be the most ideal option so I think it's worth contacting the vendor to see if thats possible. Good luck with it mate!! :)

Crazy Buddhist
09-20-2007, 03:00 AM
However, if you can return the MB direct to the place you bought it from that would be the most ideal option so I think it's worth contacting the vendor to see if thats possible. Good luck with it mate!! :)

GIVEN that we KNOW Newegg were shipping from a faulty batch from their own page -see reviews - my advice 'a la Elvis Presley' is:

/me sings:

"Return to Newegg, address is known.
It don't power, this one's a bum.
We had a quarrel, this mobo's splat
I write Im sorry just send another back.

So then I dropped it in the mailbox
And sent it special d.
Bright in early next morning
A replacement came to me."

Stockholm1984
09-20-2007, 03:13 AM
Oh god! ;)

Crazy Buddhist
09-20-2007, 05:16 AM
Oh god! ;)

Sorry ... couldn't help it ... am feeling lyrical ... I think because the Frankly Furtive Forum has given my mind a meandering tendancy and backward bending tilt :D