PDA

View Full Version : Wireless question/troubles

Greco101
09-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Alright, so I installed my buffalo router... smooth setup. Showed full bars on connection.

I restarted the laptop and now it says that it's disconnected and the "adapter can not be found." I changed the name on the laptop, I have a feeling that has something to do with it... I reinstalled the drivers and client again after and it's still not showing up.
:(

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7452/6756yt3.png

EDIT:: Rolled back the drivers on the wireless adapter and it fixed.

...dunno how the hell that happened.

Greco101
09-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Question:

Now how would I make it so I can send files from my desktop to the router? This will be my first time ever using anything on a network so I'm kinda in the dark on it.

Luke122
09-05-2007, 10:09 PM
You want to send files from the desktop to the laptop, or from the laptop to the desktop?

Create a folder on the root of your hard drive, and right click on it, and select "Sharing". Share the folder on the network (select "allow network users to change my files" if you want to put things into this folder from the other computer. Next, on the other computer open the start button, click run and type \\computername. It will browse to the other computer, and list the open shares. Then just grab whatever files you want, and move them around as you like.

Does that make sense?

Greco101
09-06-2007, 01:02 AM
When I do the \\*name* it opens up a login but won't log in?

Crazy Buddhist
09-06-2007, 02:00 AM
When I do the \\*name* it opens up a login but won't log in?

Greco

at the login you must login with a valid username and password for the target machine then you are in

clarification: if getting into a folder on the DT machine from the Lappy, its the DT U/name & pass

:)

Greco101
09-06-2007, 02:21 AM
can it not be the admin login or something? It's still not working

Crazy Buddhist
09-06-2007, 02:47 AM
can it not be the admin login or something? It's still not working

Yes any valid login for the target. if you are still having trouble try setting up a new user account on the target and use that.

Greco101
09-06-2007, 03:07 AM
It says "the network path was not found."

I understood that you have to connect to the "computer name" not the login name.

Crazy Buddhist
09-06-2007, 03:24 AM
yes you are connecting to the computer name

1 make sure both computers have the same workgroup name
2 make sure both have file sharing enabled
3 make sure both firewalls are set to allow filesharing NETBIOS/TCP

THEN when you open 'my network places' on either computer the other one should appear there

double click to open it and it will display the list of shared resources the machine is offering

Greco101
09-06-2007, 04:01 AM
workgroup name is workgroup

how do I do that?

how do I do that?

When I open "My network places, all I see is buffalo because I installed some random thing trying to set this up so now I can change the router settings from my computer. I see the laptop when I go to "workgroups" though... double click.. get login windo... wont log in.

EDIT::oh wow, nvm... that was easy. I'm not sure what I was doing - but for some reason those options were grayed out before... weird. Now I feel retarded though because it doesn't get any easier than that haha. +rep for keeping your patience.

Crazy Buddhist
09-06-2007, 04:47 AM
glad it's working :) if there is one thing meditation teaches it's patience.

ty 4 the rep :) you just moved me to having "iconic status" :D