PDA

View Full Version : Your Cell Phone Texting Usage

TheGreatSatan
09-06-2007, 12:24 AM
I don't own a cell phone, nor do I ever want one so I just don't get this whole Text messaging thing. I hear about kids doing it during classes and doing it several hundred times a billing cycle and it just shocks me. How much texting do you do?

D1337
09-06-2007, 12:29 AM
zero, dont have a cell phone either. But i do have a psp.
psp+wifi+custom firmware+homebrew=AIM,MSN,and all other text messaging FREE. :)

DaJe
09-06-2007, 12:31 AM
I have a cell phone. It's a cell phone. It makes and recieves phone calls

xRyokenx
09-06-2007, 12:31 AM
It's like using an instant messenger over a phone. That's it in a nutshell, that and I don't know how in hell people type as fast as they do on a phone...

TheGreatSatan
09-06-2007, 12:33 AM
I have a cell phone. It's a cell phone. It makes and recieves phone calls

:)

I saw this chick on Yahoo who had a 300 page bill from AT&T for like $3000

DaJe
09-06-2007, 12:44 AM
It's like using an instant messenger over a phone. That's it in a nutshell, that and I don't know how in hell people type as fast as they do on a phone...If I could take my computer including monitor and keybaord with me, while still sitting down, with my blanket around me, and someone drive the chair around or something, then I'd leave the house and instant message people while doing so. Though I'd miss my privacy.

xRyokenx
09-06-2007, 12:53 AM
I guess I'm not a true nerd, but when I'm away from home I'm just not in the mood... I dunno... lol. But yeah, texting is annoying, I love talking with people with voice, depending on who it is. Typing gets annoying.

Omega
09-06-2007, 12:57 AM
I've sent/received about 100 total messages over the past year.

Bucko
09-06-2007, 01:30 AM
It's rare for me to send a text. I'll just ring people. I don't even have a home phone, onlt the phone line for internet. All my incoming and outgoing calls are on my mobile phone. I'm on a deal where it is $80 a month for $500 worth of calls. Cheap rates too.
I rang Crimson Sky and chatted to him for half an hour using my cell and it was only $8 for that call to the States.

Greco101
09-06-2007, 01:31 AM
My gf uses 1000-1200 a month but that's including i/o. I probably use about 20 or so a month... that's if my gf texts me when I'm gaming :oP

TheGreatSatan
09-06-2007, 01:39 AM
My gf uses 1000-1200 a month but that's including i/o. I probably use about 20 or so a month... that's if my gf texts me when I'm gaming :oP

What's i/o?

Greco101
09-06-2007, 01:40 AM
ingoing/outgoing

I didn't mean input/output haha. Maybe it woulda made more sense if I just said "including incoming..." because obviously it includes outgoing.

crenn
09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
I don't use too much texting. I don't use too many voice calls either. I use MSN Messenger mainly on my phone, and because of the phone I have, I can type quite fast (thumb keyboard).

Can we call crimson? It would be interesting talking to him I think.

Wasabisam
09-06-2007, 08:19 AM
I use about $15ish a month texting my GF mainly because she lives abit away from me so yeah. It costs 25c Per message, But usually mine are like 2 pagers long so thats 50c. I should of got the plan when i got my phone. It was $30 a month and unlimited text messages. Most of my friends text me to but i dont usually text back mainly because it would cost me 25c to write "yes" or something short as hell.

Sam

Elenril
09-06-2007, 08:27 AM
My phone plan is $30 a month, but I usually go over that. On average I send about $20 worth of messages a month - 18c each=approx 100 messages a month. Not bad compared to some of my friends. I'm looking into joining a plan/prepaid that includes free sms, because I sms people far more than I call them.

Luke122
09-06-2007, 08:39 AM
I made sure that my wife's plan had unlimited texting, since her best friend works in a call center, and they can chat all the time using text.

Happy wife, happy life. :D

I then made sure that MY plan had unlimited data throughput, since my phone works as a bluetooth modem for my pda, as well as me uploading loads of pics all the time to photobucket. :) Never know when you'll see something cool on the road, and want to snap a pic to share. :D

AJ@PR
09-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Wierd... I'm like a text message freak.

I send out like >1,000 every month.

MOST of the usage comes from actual communication with people.
I find it much easier (depending on situation) to text a person...
And I find it much more convinient to reply at my own convinient time to a text.

Sometimes you need to receive THIS call, but 20 seconds shifted into the future.
Text msgs are perfect for that.

The other big consumer of my text msgs is my "Daily Texts"... about 5 or 6 days a week, I send out in the early morning (I wake up eaaarrlllyyyy) a short, inspirational text to some friends. The list is big, so I need to send the text like 4 times, with 4 different lists.

That's just... me. :)

AJ@PR
09-06-2007, 09:35 AM
You never sent me those texts.. asss..

LoL
Sorry buddy...
Just, don't find it wierd if you get a text in spanish... they're usually in english... but, wisdom abounds.

LOL... sorry meng.. will do ASAP. :)

Outlaw
09-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Usually text 300-1000 a month. it was an extra $20 a month for unlimited on 3 phones. My dad is the worst though. He texts more then me and goes over our 1000min shared. Last month was 1300min by himself and my wife and I got charged over as well. Son of a... If you think you are going to need it, just get it right away. We have since upgraded to 2000min. lol

BigJohnson
09-06-2007, 09:50 AM
I text about 500 times a month. But some of it is invitations. Telling people to stop by or information about the fantasy football draft. But my gf also lives kinda far away and I cant talk during work, so I text because I care...or something like that.

xRyokenx
09-06-2007, 09:54 AM
When I do get messages it's on the company phone... usually it's about what the target is this time.... oh wait.

/crappy Jason Bourne reference

AJ@PR
09-06-2007, 10:07 AM
But my gf also lives kinda far away and I cant talk during work, so I text because I care...or something like that.

Sig!

nil8
09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I text certain people. My worst month was recieving around 1000 texts in a month, and I don't have unlimited texting...
that phone bill wasn't fun, but it was cute and I didn't mind paying it.

The reason people do it I've found is most often when they can't talk or they're too busy to talk, even though it is slower and a bit annoying.

Still doesn't compare to the 9000 minutes I burned in one bill a few months ago....I'm so glad I have rollover.

I pay around 115 now that I've adjusted my plan to accommodate the women in my life.
Before I was paying 75ish a month.

Dilphat
09-06-2007, 11:28 AM
:)

I saw this chick on Yahoo who had a 300 page bill from AT&T for like $3000

haha wow that sounds like one of my friends back at home.
OOooo, i do a good 900 a month, but usually 800 minimum. since i have a 1000 text message plan. haha.

Killdrath
09-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Me and my GF share a family plan with my teenage daughter... We have unlimited texts. I cant say who uses the textx more, GF or Daughter, but it would be VERY pricey without the unlimited plan.

Myself, not as much, except to talk to said GF because at her work, she cant just call and sometimes (OK, a lot of times) she REALLY needs to vent about idiot co-workers.

Airbozo
09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I probably text more than I talk. Which does not say much since I rarely use my cell. I only have it for customers to reach me with issues (or new customers so I look professional).

Texting really comes in handy at Hockey games since it is usually too noisy to talk. The SO and her sisters text a lot and she also texts her friend. I looked over at her during a Hockey game last season and she was a texting fool, texting her Hockey Betty Friend non stop. Sad thing is that friend was sitting RIGHT BEHIND HER! My response? GAME ON DUCK FAN!

xRyokenx
09-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Lol... I want a thumb keyboard or a foldout bluetooth one for my pocket PC... make it easier to type, lol, and then I bet I could get some sort of IM that goes over bluetooth to chat with other people on their handheld computers... that or over the WLAN on the internet like I've done before. That little thing comes in handy, too bad it's messed up and needs to me mailed in for repairs (power button doesn't work, and the warranty isn't a real one... factory defects my arse!).

Killdrath
09-06-2007, 01:38 PM
I probably text more than I talk. Which does not say much since I rarely use my cell. I only have it for customers to reach me with issues (or new customers so I look professional).

Texting really comes in handy at Hockey games since it is usually too noisy to talk. The SO and her sisters text a lot and she also texts her friend. I looked over at her during a Hockey game last season and she was a texting fool, texting her Hockey Betty Friend non stop. Sad thing is that friend was sitting RIGHT BEHIND HER! My response? GAME ON DUCK FAN!

Go Ducks!
Me <-- Oregonian by origin, transplanted to Vegas

Airbozo
09-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Go Ducks!
Me <-- Oregonian by origin, transplanted to Vegas

Not a ducks fan at all. I am still sad they won the cup. Not that the players didn't earn it or anything, just Ducks fans really have no clue (well most of them anyway). If you watch a Ducks game, notice that the fans don't show up until late in the first period. The Ducks had THE worst fan attendance in the league even when they were in the finals. We went to a game there last season and the bottom part of the Pond was empty most of the game, but they still announced the game was sold out.

It is so bad that at a San Jose Sharks game, the worst thing you can call someone is a Ducks Fan! Down in front DUCKS FAN! When people get fired up they break out the duck calls and the Shark Tank goes NUTS with the Ducks Suck chant. Quack Quack, Ducks Suck! (repeat 20 times).

Oh wait, sorry for the hijack, I am really looking forward to Hockey...

I could not text msg on the normal phone without getting pissed off so next time my plan was up I got this phone;
http://www.lotechdesigns.com/host/thumbs/3666VX9800_2.jpg (http://www.lotechdesigns.com/host/images/3666VX9800_2.jpg)
I am now on my 4th one in a year because it keeps breaking. I like the keyboard though, and it does have IM capability. I only had the web on it for the first month while it was free.

xRyokenx
09-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Heh, if I ever do texting it's gonna be on a phone like that, I don't like pressing a button five times just to get some letter... thumb keyboards ftfw! I still want one for my PPC though... tapping the screen is more annoying than pressing buttons, ugh... better than "typing" with an Xbox controller though.

AJ@PR
09-06-2007, 01:59 PM
better than "typing" with an Xbox controller though.

**AJ starts twitchin'...**

**convulsions**

xRyokenx
09-06-2007, 02:01 PM
**AJ starts twitchin'...**

**convulsions**

Heh heh... the Wiimote deal was just about as annoying, but at least you could point with it. But there's nothing like a good ol' keyboard, no matter how many mistakes I make and how worn out my backspace key is, lol.

...crap, I haven't turned that Wii on since like Christmas... holy crap... I wonder if my mom would let me sell it, I'd probably put the money from it away for computer parts or something for when I build a new rig when I get the chance a few years from now. I do not like playing on that thing, PC is so much better for that.

Killdrath
09-06-2007, 03:43 PM
better than "typing" with an Xbox controller though.

Thats why I plugged a normal everyday usb keyboard into my buddies 360.

Luke122
09-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Regular xbox just uses usb also, but with diff plugs on it. You can splice a usb keyboard into it I bet.. hmm.. I'm going to research that now.

crenn
09-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes you can.

AJ@PR
09-06-2007, 04:53 PM
I wonder if my mom would let me sell it, I'd probably put the money from it away for computer parts or something for when I build a new rig when I get the chance a few years from now. I do not like playing on that thing, PC is so much better for that.
If you don't want it, I'll buy it.

Regular xbox just uses usb also, but with diff plugs on it. You can splice a usb keyboard into it I bet.. hmm.. I'm going to research that now.
I have in my house a "Frag Joy" module/controller thingy.

It has the xBox plug on one side, and a small box with two PS/2 plugs.
One for mouse, the other for keyboard.
I think the company that manufactured them is no longer running... I think.

I used to totally pWnd anybody and everybody in Halo2 with that thing.
I mean, everyone's using controllers, and there I am... keyboard WASD setup, and a freaking optical Logitech mouse.
Total w00p@ss.

I stopped using it, when I was like super good at it, but then went to a friend's house to play, and grabbed a controller.
:(
I got w00ped.
'nough of the Frag Joy joy.

xRyokenx
09-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Holy **** dude, I asked for one of those for Christmas... almost got one but my uncle didn't like the website. I'd so kick everyone's ass when we had our Halo LAN Parties over here, muahaha.

Scotty
09-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Im on a £30 ($60) contract. I get 500 texts and 200mins out of it, which is good, i use 300ish texts a month, varies alot sometimes i send 100 odd in a day...

Crazy Buddhist
09-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Heh, if I ever do texting it's gonna be on a phone like that, I don't like pressing a button five times just to get some letter...

don't have to: T9 predictive text just tap in the word and the phone guesses or gives you a choice.

text is useful when you want to let your buddy know you will be ten minutes late and cheaper than calling and easier - if he or you are in a noisy bar for example or on public transport.

xRyokenx
09-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Makes sense... but if I get a phone it's gonna be one with a thumb keyboard, lol...

Crazy Buddhist
09-07-2007, 11:47 AM
In japan they have noticed the teenage generation are developing oversize thumbs from constant gameplaying and texting (HUGE habit there).

There is genuine concern that in 50 years there will be an entire generation of pensioners with useless arthritic thumbs rendering them cripples.

Killdrath
09-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Frag Joy's on ebay (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Frag+Joy&category0=)

xRyokenx
09-07-2007, 01:12 PM
CB: I can see why that is a concern... I use a trackball that takes the index and middle fingers to roll, and I press the buttons with my thumb and my ring finger and pinky... this thing is awesome, no wrist pains here due to that, lol. I try to not use my thumb so much for gaming... it's not good using one finger so much, hence why I don't have a trackball that uses your thumb, it's not healthy and it tends to hurt after 15 mins of intense use. "Spreading out" which muscles/limbs/whatever you use is probably a good way to make your body last, lol... hence I should stop sitting in this chair so much and go exercise, but I'ma clean my room for now, I've got some stuff here that needs to be done.

BigJohnson
09-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Woo hoo. I was sigquoted! I will live in infamy...until AJ gets bored of me.

b4i7
09-07-2007, 04:40 PM
back when me and my GF were still dating we both had unlimited text......so somewhere around 4000ish OO