PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in Components.

Omega
09-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Alright, I know computers have break-in periods. I set up my C2D system today and honestly, It's running a bit SLOWER than my S754 Athlon 64 (I expect this to change). I was wondering what I could do to speed up the break-in process, or about how long it should last. Luckily I don't have to worry about this with the 7800GT, as it's used and already well broken in.

So yeah, TBCS, teach me.

(Also, going to task manager and seeing two CPU usage charts is so awesome)

crenn
09-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Put it under a bit of loading, that helps with the break in process.

Omega
09-06-2007, 02:51 AM
That much I do know. I think I might talk to one of my buddies and see if he can make me a program that just eats up resources, but a set amount

like 1gb of ram, 50% cpu power

Dilphat
09-06-2007, 02:55 AM
I would just open up a lot of programs to lag my system for a good few minutes. haha, let's see...what did i do again. Started burning a movie, open up windows media player, and watched some good ole anime.

Omega
09-06-2007, 02:58 AM
Well, I guess I could do something like that, but I'd rather not sit through the period where it's just lagging as it's getting broken in

so something like a long video playlist while compiling code or something sounds like two good things to have it do

because right now, just installing windows updates is making the cores hit 50% cpu usage (Core 2 is actually hitting 75%, hmm), whereas the Athlon wouldn't even be bothered

I'll seriously be pissed if a 2.2GHz Athlon outperforms a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo. (I doubt it will after the C2D's broken in, but...)

Omega
09-06-2007, 03:09 AM
Also

Holy crap:

http://www.lotechdesigns.com/host/images/2338Speedfan.JPG

Idling, pre-broken in, and the CPU is half the temperature of the Athlon

Way to go, Intel.

Also, I laughed at Temp 3 (I have a feeling that's either the 7800 or the NB chipset)

crenn
09-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Use orthos if you want heavy load....

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

Zephik
09-06-2007, 07:23 AM
I've never even heard of having to "break in" a new processor. Do you have to do that with all components or is it just with procs or maybe its just with some and not others? Weird that I've never even heard about this before. lol Just when you though you knew your basics...

Btw, aren't there programs out there that will stress your cpu, or in other words, put it under load? or are those programs just for gpu's?

lol @ an Athlon outperforming a C2D. Thats pretty sad, I would be incredibly frustrated. At least the C2D's run cool out of the box! ...I wonder if it will heat up more once its "broken in"?

crenn
09-06-2007, 07:34 AM
I wonder which C2D he got....

And normally the break-in period regards either the thermal paste setting or the CPU getting a bit of use so it performs better. I had a similar thing with the C2Q, after a day or so of usage, it works great!

Bucko
09-06-2007, 07:49 AM
I wonder which C2D he got....

It says E4400 in his sig...

Airbozo
09-06-2007, 01:59 PM
I have never heard of a "Break in period" for computers. I know that heat does help to make the thermal paste sit better, but that is about it. It's not like an engine that DOES need a break in period. I do however "burn in" systems for at least 24 hours since that will flush out any components that may die anyway. I use memtest to burn in the system and sometimes prime95 (or something like that) that puts heavy load on the cpu. Really just to heat things up and make sure there are no failures. I know I have seen it posted before, but Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) is a great source for testing and burn in tools.

xRyokenx
09-06-2007, 02:02 PM
It may have to get the processor's memory or whatever flowing good, like the electrons or whatever, but that may just be me being weird... again... :p

Omega
09-06-2007, 02:11 PM
It's a C2D E4500, Allendale Core.

Burn in, Break in, whatever.

AJ@PR
09-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Did you try Hammer Time?

/lame joke

I'm sorry for my n00bn3ss, but I'm with AB and Zephik, I've never heard of 'break-in' for computers.
I usually do what AB does and run her for 24hours straight.

But, 'break-in' per se?
I have no idea.

Maybe SuperPi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_PI)?

xRyokenx
09-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I usually just install Windows and hope everything works, lol. And if it doesn't, I get pissed and take a break for a while and try to fix it later. I don't do good when computers mess up, especially if it's mine. Hence why IT is not the field of work for me.

Spawn-Inc
09-06-2007, 03:27 PM
that -128 is why i hate speed fan, what a crap program! theres a break in period for computer? how long does it take (Q6600 if you need to know the cpu)