PDA

View Full Version : project: Lan

public_eyesore
08-03-2005, 10:28 PM
for this mod, i intend for it to be the ultimate lan computer, size may be a little of an issue, but think of everything all in one case. This seems like the hp res 2 with the window screen and mobo cover, but i am taking this hopfully many steps futher. Below is a rough idea of what it will look like, including colors and ideas. Suggestions are wanted thanks.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8357/case5ac.jpg

Aero
08-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Well, if you plan on buying a case I would recommend getting a server size case, one that can hold 2 PSU's. That will allow for more room at the bottom for your flip out door.

Also best of luck to ya. I was thinking of working on a LAN PC as my next project, hope everything comes together!

public_eyesore
08-03-2005, 10:49 PM
the case in the picture is the one i have, also what are 2 psu's needed for?

i guess if 2 psu's are need for some reason, i can mount the second in 2 5.25" bays. :?

Aero
08-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Oh ok, no I ment get it for the extra room the extra PSU adds about 4 inches of height to the case and 4 inch of extra room at the bottom, but just make sure you can fit everything in there. 2 PSU's aren't used often, usually if you have a craptacular amount of crap in your case where one PSU isn't enough.(atleast during modding)

public_eyesore
08-03-2005, 11:15 PM
o ok, yea ive gots plenty of room, its a full tower and im using a micro atx board so theres room for the fake bottom.

public_eyesore
08-04-2005, 05:55 PM
i have a question. Since i was going to paint the inside of my case orange, should i use a black light or a normal light to show off my handy work?

Aero
08-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Depends if you want it to lookk UV orange, or just orange, by UV I mean like it is glowing. For the normal look, take a look at Defyant's Masta Blasta for an idea how it would look (just like paint)

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934

UV orange would look like this:

https://secure.quicksolve.com.au/catalog/images/ULT31564_LR_1_1_.jpg.

If you want the UV look, get some UV reactive paint from www.xoxide.com

public_eyesore
08-04-2005, 06:15 PM
ive already got the paint, and its bright orange, i was just wondering if it would be different not to use and led or cathode, but just a normal bulb to show off the paint.

public_eyesore
08-06-2005, 02:21 AM
im going to boyscout training for a week and will post pictures of my progress when i get back

public_eyesore
08-29-2005, 12:27 AM
ive rigged up a simple false bottom, i need to trim a few edges and apply some edging to get rid of the warp. Ive changed the idea from green and orange, to blue and orange. CAbles on the inside will be neon orange with navy inside paint and orange out side. Dont mind the paint thats on it, im taking care of that in a day or two.

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/759/p82801628zd.jpg

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/4328/p82801639if.jpg

sXenoG
08-29-2005, 03:15 AM
To be totally honest if you were to reform what you have in the back of ur computer i believe its scratches and marker thatd look like some sweet art work. But anyways I like the new color scheme better. Blue and orange look wonderfully together. But if ur not using the exact colors that are used ont he ultra x connect i think that maybe you should dumb navy and go with another shade unless youve allready tested the colors and are pleased with them

public_eyesore
08-29-2005, 10:44 AM
i chose navy, cause it was a darker color. If you look at masta blasta it has a darker color on the inside and lighter on the out.I just thought it would look better, but this is all new to me.

public_eyesore
09-05-2005, 05:43 PM
it has been put on hold (probably indefinatly) due to the fact that i accidentally got it wet and rust is in every nook and cranny and i dont have 80 to spend on a new chemming. I am however going to start a new mod with a raidmax diamond, very similar to defyants "masta blaster". Sorry, i feel so embarassed.

crenn
09-05-2005, 09:08 PM
That sucks, I would have just said grind the rust off and then prime the case but it's your choice.....

public_eyesore
09-05-2005, 11:03 PM
i would love to sand it all off, but the case is held together by rivits not screws, so i cant really get it off.

KillaHead
09-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Drill the rivets and then get a rivet gun to put it back together

public_eyesore
09-06-2005, 08:08 PM
how much is a rivet gun? if its more than 30 forget it, cause a new mod im starting only needs a 30 dollar case.

crenn
09-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Ihink a rivet gun is something like AUD$10-30. Not much compared to all of it's uses....

Visionism
09-07-2005, 01:59 PM
I know people love their Dremels but I'd say that a rivet gun is probably the number one tool that no modder should be without, especially if you're doing any painting. Just think how much nicer your intended color scheme will look with anodized rivets in orange or blue!

public_eyesore
09-09-2005, 06:05 PM
due to visionism's suggestion, and the fact that a rivet gun was 20 dollars cheaper than a new case, i bought a rivet gun and will continue working on project lan. I have a couple new ideas due to some inspiration by invalid, the project will basically be the same, but the speakers are going to be nixed, and the moniter when i get enough cash.