PDA

View Full Version : What do i use for pre moddeling?

richmandudeus
08-04-2005, 04:46 AM
Alright i have an extrememly big project ahead of me and i know i should start a worklog entry in the forum but i wanted to start in this forum first and get my stuff sorted out. The case im making is gonna be an orb form and needs to be pretty darn sturdy. (i dont want the orb to crack)

Questions are: :?

what could i use to mold or manipulate an orb but be sturdy enough to hold the computer and wall mount screen inside?

Do i make a prototype to work against or just start working on the main unit?

If i do make a prototype, what materials should i use for it?

If you need anymore details, don't be affraid to ask.
(it's 2 in the morning and can't think of any questions at the moment)

TheGreatSatan
08-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Do you want the Orb to be clear or painted? Because you could just get a large hollow globe.

crazybillybob
08-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Fiberglass is light, and very strong, you can lay-up an orb any size you want. But you can't see through it.

For a see through The Cats meow would be a Lexan Orb But I'm not sure where you would get it. :?

EDITED:
Ok, I googled it here is a site on Thermo Forming Lexan (http://www.rapidnet.com/~mikejjs/B9Creations/Present/Builders/Terry/TerrysBubble.html)
And
Here is a site that sells ACRYLIC Hollow Balls 6" to 60" in Diam (http://www.complexplastics.com/balls/ACRYLIC.htm)

Hope it helps!
Crazybillybob

richmandudeus
08-05-2005, 06:43 PM
In the words of Stimpy (of Ren and Stimpy) .............. :D "Joy!!!" :D

That is exactly what i am looking for Crazybillybob. Ive been trying to figure out how would do it and the best solution i could come up with is:

Have a box the size of all the parts and where they would go.
Have an extremely larger box and place the smaller one in it.
Centering the smaller box, fill the gaps up with insulation foam (spray can kind)
tear outer box off when foam hardens and shave a sphere by eye (yeesh)
Heat gun a bunch of acrylic sheets together on the foam sphere.
(hoping it will come out to the shape i want 'sigh')

Thanx a bunch folks. :)