PDA

View Full Version : Building A computer into a mini fridge?

Crazed_climber
08-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Well do you think its possible? Drill a little hole for connectors and use a small mobo? I know it wouldn't be too portable but I dont care. I think that would be the ultimate cooling:D.
Thanks for your input

Scotty

Crimson Sky
08-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Warm motherboard/components running inside a refridgerator = condensation and electrical shorting--and certain death for all the hardware. Possible and probable electrocution for the owner. :D

Malatory
08-04-2005, 11:45 AM
It could be done ... Just remove the condenser and find another way to cool the PC.

Other wise I would agree with Crimson Sky.

Crazed_climber
08-04-2005, 02:35 PM
okie dokie. it was just a thought. Thanks guys

Malatory
08-04-2005, 02:56 PM
That is one of the reason we are here.. to help out. Other reason is to avoid work :D

crazybillybob
08-04-2005, 04:50 PM
The only way that would come close to working is if the reservoir for your water-cooling was in the Fridge and everything else was not.....I can't think of anyway to make that not look like a ghetto rig....and you would still have to worry about condensation (on the parts being water cooled) so...It's not for a n00b anyway..

Crazybillybob

sXenoG
08-04-2005, 09:01 PM
they actually have a thermal paste thats not conductive htat could be put on all components ur supposed to use it on peltzeirs (phase change coolers?). around the cpu socket while as well sealing around the cpu so condensation cant freeze aroudn the cpu and damgae the board. As for being ultimate cooling depending on how large the fridge is it most likely wouldnt be adequate for ULTIMATE cooling. I myself was playing around with some ideas sub ambient cooling and found that i would either just go buy a peltzier or since my dad thought it was cool we would have done water cooling while submerging the radiator into chilled water there would be condensation issue but we were planning for those too.
EDIT: forgot to say why chilled water. Water i found out is 30% more conductive then air and would cool it more quickly.

Very sorry for my bad spelling and typos the internet has ruined my language lol.

crenn
08-04-2005, 09:07 PM
The only way posible to do this is to have your mobo, PSU, etc, in a non-conductive liquid like FluroXP(Or what ever it's called). But it does mean that you can't have any fans..... I think. Also the liquid has be stored in a tank in the fridge.

This could work..... or I'm going insane again.

Zeus
08-04-2005, 11:12 PM
going insane again.

yeah that ;) ;) :D JK

weirdguy
08-05-2005, 12:52 AM
well you could just feed the fridge another liquid besides water and that might work...

sXenoG
08-07-2005, 09:38 PM
You know i was just thinking about this. Would their ACTUALLY be an issue with condensation with this mod? When i put soda cans in the fridge there is no condensation on the can or nething in the fridge for that matter. Its only once the soda gets cold and then approaches hot air that there is an issue with condensation. Ill go research the properties of condensation in a minute but from my observations condensation only would be an issue if the computer was COLDER then the fridge.

EDIT: I read more on condensation.
Condensation is formed on cold surfaces not warm surfaces. It occurs when warm air meets a cold surface. I believe this mod might be feasable I would of course test it. I was considering this mod a while back and thought about heating up some mettle with a torch placing it int he fridge to test.

From a quoted source:

Winter condensation occurs on the inside of windows, while summer condensation occurs on the outside of windows.
This points out that only the colder surface gets the condensation.

So you may just want to go through a few tests. I dont kno if it will be the cooling you are hoping for but its always funto try something new :)

Spaceroach
08-08-2005, 02:39 AM
1. Buy beer fridge.
2. Install liquid-holding tank. Fill with nonconductive mineral oil or that Fluoro Stuff (expensive, made by 3M).
3. Immerse all hardware except for disk/optical drives in the tank.
4. (optional) Put a copper can full of liquid nitrogen on the CPU and overclock to insane speeds.
5. Put beer in remaining space. :D

DeathCrush
08-08-2005, 09:47 PM
well, technically you're only going to get condensation if there is moisture in the case (and since there is moisture in the air, it WILL be in the case)...

SO... if you managed to seal the case completely and were able to remove all of the moisture from it, then you'd be able to avoid condensation altogether i would think?

i love science, but usually i manage to overlook something. (i guess that's why i only get 2.0s in any of my physical science classes) sXenoG you seem to have a very good grasp on the subject, think that sealing out any moisture would actually work?

Dark-hobo
08-08-2005, 11:59 PM
all you owuld have to do to remove the moister is hook up a compressor or air pump. Find a way to get the compressor to take the air out of the fridge. Then on the line going back into the fridge put one of those moister removers that you get use with paint guns. Let the compressor run for awhile then unhook and sel it. You would have to do this for awhile and repeat the process everyonce in awhile. But this would create n nearly completely dry environment. Also Xeno is right in saying condensation only forms on colder surfaces, so there would not be condensation on the mobo. However seeing as how the air is a medium between the mobo and the frigde wall the air might heat up faster than the wall and condensation might accumulate on the walls to the point where it would begin dripping on your mobo and other various parts.

sXenoG
08-09-2005, 12:38 AM
I thought about the condensation on the walls youd have trouble witht he cieling but if u made standoffs far enough you shouldnt have an issue like i said youd want to run tests. No idea what you could do about the ceiling.. Could be quite an isue and you may ALSO wantt o keep your psu outta there cuz my psu pumps out enough btus to raise my room temp between 2-4 degress depending on whether my ac is on

weirdguy
08-09-2005, 02:28 PM
http://overclockers.com/tips1061/index.asp

sXenoG
08-09-2005, 03:26 PM
thats pretty cool lol

Mach
08-09-2005, 04:16 PM
CrimsonSky's book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0789731924/qid=1123618452/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_sbs_1/002-9521008-0988801?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) talks about refrigerator cases, damprid, and spray on conformance sealant called Konform that is used to seal a motherboard to moisture.

It's under the section titled with brazen and imprudent (Page 243). :) Just pimping da book.

Crazed_climber
08-10-2005, 03:24 AM
Wow it sounds like building a mini fridge case would be hard but fesible (And by the way that link was really cool). And thanks for all the info, amazing as it may seem, some of you know more then me!

SCotty

uNdErAtEd
08-13-2005, 02:14 AM
wow i was just about to start a thread about this like a couple days ago, but some1 beat me 2 it, damn oh well at least i know it could be done.

Crazed_climber
08-21-2005, 02:36 AM
Would this and an air compresser work?
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?referred_id=778&sku=0719302

Dark-hobo
08-21-2005, 04:53 AM
You know those little moisture abosrber packets you see in packs of jerkey and things like that. Well you can find larger versions of that. All you would have to do is line the bottom with those. Or get an air recycling system that just moves air through some pipes backinto the fridge. And make a little box, fill it with these things then hooks up a fan or air compressor to drive air through the pipe.

Rankenphile
08-21-2005, 04:07 PM
The packet things you are referring to is called silica gel, and it can absorb huge amounts of moisture.

It can be bought in bulk from many crafting stores, it is used frequently to assist in the drying of herbs and flowers, among other uses. I would get about two cups of it in a small box, something that will breathe - perhaps a mesh box lined with cotton fabric or something, to allow air flow.

You will want to change this out fairly regularly, however, as it will eventualy become saturated. You can just replace it with dry stuff and allow the other stuff to dry. If you kept two sets, you could jsut swap them out on a weekly or monthly basis.

Dark-hobo
08-21-2005, 05:44 PM
you don't even need to replace it. Just remove it and stick it in your oven for about an hour or two at 150-200 degrees. Dries that stuff right out.

Edit: missed the part where you said let it dry :P.

amberella
08-24-2005, 12:05 PM
aparrently it's possible
15 Great Mods from QuakeCON (http://www.thinkcomputers.org/beta/home.php?x=articles&id=13&page=7)

Dark-hobo
08-24-2005, 05:44 PM
yeah I saw that. The thing I realized you would have to do. You would have to replace the compressor and increase the coolant reservoir size because refrigerators are not meant to run 24/7 AND they are not meant to run with a constant heat source inside of them. All of this is quite dangerous too. The chemicals used in refrigerators can be deadly if not handled properly. And I don't have a clue about what proper procedure is :P so I would rather not risk it. If anyone else wants to risk their life for the sake of overclocking then by all means do it... or take classes first then do it.

Disaster
08-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Everything is always possible just may take some time to think of a idea... Use a fan instead of a condesner just a quick thought

fauX
08-18-2008, 06:57 PM
What about Vacuum Sealing the mobo and components?
I'm not sure how well it would work...
but maybe V Seal it to be submersed in the Fluoro you guys had mentioned
or V Seal it for placement in the mini-fridge to protect against condensation.

Eclecticos
08-19-2008, 09:06 AM
It might work with a drip loop, with the electronics housed externally,
a refrigerated reservoir, or vacuum sealed as stated above.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/441/driploopod4.gif

Though. . I doubt it would last long.

rerkin88
08-19-2008, 10:03 AM
maybe something like THIS (http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/royal-pda/product-detailybpmSBvMluVk/China-USB-Humidifier.html) would work

.Maleficus.
08-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Holy necromancy!

This thread is almost 3 years old.

nevermind1534
08-19-2008, 12:28 PM
I was reading it last month, but refrained from posting in it for that reason.

halcyonforever
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
well too late now it is ALIVE and fair game! muhaha-muHAHA!

OT: I never put together that the Maximum PC Guide to Extreme PC Mods book was by Paul... I've checked that out from the library probably 3 times.

I've seen alot of attempts at this, I remember someone overcloced a 486 in a fridge to run half-life...

The problem with condesation is that even if it may only form on cold objects, all it takes is 1 drop to ruin the whole thing.

using a fridge to cool a coolant is definately reasonable. (plus Beer/Soda storage) you have to be cautious of the fluid getting too cold and causing condesation else where. But if you can figure out a way to regulate the fluid temperature to stay below the dew point (possibly build in a wet bulb thermometer regulated temperature control) you should be golden.

Another way to uitilize a fridge and avoid the problems of condensation is to build a multi stage coolant circulation system. Essentially the primary coolant for the computer is passed through a secondary heat exchanger that is cooled by fluid stored in the refirgirated unit. This acts as a moderator on the heat transfer, while limiting the actual cooling performed, but also moderates the effect of condesantion on the computer.