PDA

View Full Version : memory issues

BerticusPryme
09-12-2007, 02:27 AM
ok well..... I think it's the memory. I have an asus a8n-sli premium board witha athlon x2 3800+ proc in it. I just recieved as a gift today 2 1gb sticks of ddr 400. when i put them in any slot or in any configuration it continues to give me 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. no vidoe is displayed but when i remove said memory it all runs fine. I think it may be a memory compatability issue but I'm not 100% sure. it's some no name brand of memory. I am going to try it in another comp to see if it is working memory. any of you guys got any ideas?

Dilphat
09-12-2007, 03:13 AM
1 long beep and 2 short beeps. im not sure, but isn't that a video card related problem?
im on google finding out some info.

EDIT: your BIOS is an Award. i checked the beep codes
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/galaxyrider12/codes.jpg
it's from this site:
http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html
so i don't think it's your memory.

I hope that helps a little.

BerticusPryme
09-12-2007, 10:03 AM
see i found that info also. it gives these beeps when the memory is in and will not complete post. when i remove them the system posts fine. this is why i am confused.

Luke122
09-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Did you try to reset your bios to factory settings? I wonder if it's a memory timing issue.. that could cause issues with the video adaptor.

BerticusPryme
09-12-2007, 11:33 AM
yeah i checked that i have flashed the bios to the most current revisions from asus's website. I have tried every possible memory config shy of dumping it down to run like 333 or 266. i am going to give that a try in a bit. Also i have the weird chipset that when speakers are plugged into the integrated audio jack it will audibly tell you what is going on. so i hooked headphones into it and I hear this womans voice coming back with memory identification failure. SO i have just about figured out one of two things.
1. The memory is not compatable with my board
2. The memory is borked.

Like I said I am going to try and clock it down some from 400 to 333 and see if that does anything. Thanks for all the help guys.

P.S. I also disabled my sli and tried each card solo. same effect. so It really is looking like the memory.