PDA

View Full Version : Best Audio Decoder

Indybird
09-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Oh boy, I had just listened to some 320kb/s MP3 Audio on Foobar using some Foobar audio plugins. It was nice. The problem is that I'm a MS fan boy and love Windows Media Player to no end. Does anyone know of a really, really nice audio decoder? I compared the two and the clarity of the Foobar decoder is amazing, brings new life to my already clear speakers. I understand that integrated HD audio is also holding me back in quality but I already noticed a difference in just changing decoders. For now that'll have to do. Please help, I am destroying my ears with the default windows decoder.

Thanks,
Indybird

Luke122
09-13-2007, 09:44 AM
I"m a foobar fan also! I use an external M-Audio USB soundcard with supports 24/96 output, so I use the ASIO drivers (bypasses windows kmixer completely), and "Secret Rabbit" upsampler.

The output is un-frickin-believable.

Check out either FLAC, or APE encoding for true audio nirvana. :D

Indybird
09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
I"m a foobar fan also! I use an external M-Audio USB soundcard with supports 24/96 output, so I use the ASIO drivers (bypasses windows kmixer completely), and "Secret Rabbit" upsampler.

The output is un-frickin-believable.

Check out either FLAC, or APE encoding for true audio nirvana. :D
Thanks for the reply but Im trying to keep with Windows Media Player. I'm looking for an decoder for WMP that bypasses Windows Kmixer.

Thanks,
Indybird

carvernut
09-20-2007, 04:53 PM
question: what sound card do you use?

Indybird
09-20-2007, 05:05 PM
For now Im using integrated HD sound. I'll be upgrading to a Razer Barracuda Card sometime soon. I know its sux, but I can still tell the difference between audio programs. For now, a decoder fix/upgrade/whatever should help a little bit. I need it to make WMP bypass the windows sound thingy like other audio players do so that it sounds better.

Thanks,
Indybird

carvernut
09-20-2007, 05:25 PM
if your serious about wanting good music... http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/731/ would be the best you would ever spend your money on... 1600.00 is alittle pricey for a computer based sound system imo.

also here are some reviews on some wonderfull sound cards that have been considered worthy enough to be reviewed by Stereophiles: http://www.stereophile.com/computeraudio/

prepare to spend 300+ for a good audio card but it's the best money you could ever spend imho... your software is only as good as the card it goes though, get good software and a good card and everyone will think your Paul Klipsch :P

i'm looking at the Razer and it seems like a very nice card, but i personally don't like the host of features, if your listening to music you want as few as features to keep from cluttering up your musical imaging, but then again i'm not too concerned with game audio :P but decent enough specs although i would like to see some actual chip set numbers and tolerences.

.Maleficus.
09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Sorry for the thread jack, but how could I get better sound out of my system?

I'm running a Soundblaster Audigy 2 and Logitech Z-5300es. Like Indy, I'd like to keep to WMP, because I just like it...

Thanks guys... I'm no audio guy (except with guitars) so any help is much appreciated.

Indybird
09-20-2007, 05:44 PM
if your serious about wanting good music... http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/731/ would be the best you would ever spend your money on... 1600.00 is alittle pricey for a computer based sound system imo.

also here are some reviews on some wonderfull sound cards that have been considered worthy enough to be reviewed by Stereophiles: http://www.stereophile.com/computeraudio/

prepare to spend 300+ for a good audio card but it's the best money you could ever spend imho... your software is only as good as the card it goes though, get good software and a good card and everyone will think your Paul Klipsch :P

i'm looking at the Razer and it seems like a very nice card, but i personally don't like the host of features, if your listening to music you want as few as features to keep from cluttering up your musical imaging, but then again i'm not too concerned with game audio :P but decent enough specs although i would like to see some actual chip set numbers and tolerences.

thanks for the recommendations but Im not an extreme audiophile as it seems like those "stereohphile" guys are. Don't get me wrong, I want nice sounding music and I can tell the difference. I've tried different audio decoders and I noticed some sound much better, so I want to get one of those better ones working with WMP. Im simply looking for a way to get better audio out of WMP by changing software.

Thanks,
Indybird

Luke122
09-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Well, to bypass the Kmixer, you would need to use ASIO drivers.. they may or may not be available for your hardware, but it might exist. :)

Crazy Buddhist
09-20-2007, 11:06 PM

I certainly wouldn't consider this a thread jack .. probably better than starting another on essentially the same subject. I'm trying Foobar when I get home. Luke *knows things*.

:)

Luke122
09-20-2007, 11:37 PM

I'm running a Soundblaster Audigy 2 and Logitech Z-5300es. Like Indy, I'd like to keep to WMP, because I just like it...

Thanks guys... I'm no audio guy (except with guitars) so any help is much appreciated.

Guitars hey? :D I've got an Ibanez Iceman ICX-220, and a Fender F-65 Acoustic.

Back to the "better sound" question.. the ASIO sound drivers almost certainly exist for the Audigy... I would start with that. This will allow the output to bypass the Windows Kmixer and prevent it from "messing" with the sound.

Next, ensure that the audio cables from the card to the speakers are clear of any power or data cables.. if they must cross them, try to have them cross at right angles.

Perhaps the most important thing: speaker placement. Keep both right and left channels an equal distance from your ears, and approximately at ear height when in your regular listening position. Try to keep them both the same distance from walls as well, to ensure output is the same from both sides.

If possible, try to get your speakers either mounted to a wall/desk, or onto some heavy stands. Also, good speaker wire can make a huge difference.

Umm.. other than that, get Foobar, and grab a couple of FLAC or APE files to try it out. :)

.Maleficus.
09-21-2007, 06:22 AM
I've got a Dean '79 Flying V and a Line 6 Spider III 120W amp.

I Googled "audigy asio drivers" and a Creative site came up saying it ships with them. :think:

I downloaded Foobar though, and with PanelsUI and FofR, I don't think I'll need WMP anymore :D. Thanks dude, +rep.

Edit: After I spread it around though ;).

Indybird
09-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Oi, I have found out that there is no current way to use ASIO w/ Windows Media Player, even though I can use ASIO w/ my integrated sound.

Oh well, we'll see what I can do...

-Indybird

Mysteriphys
09-21-2007, 09:25 AM
google "asio for all" it pretty much works with any setup wether it's compatable or not, it's all software...

as for the rest, if you're really hardcore about it, you may be able to use the resource hacker prog that Xcom posted about many moons ago and try to fudge your way into the wmp resources and change it's default mixer/input/output

Indybird
09-21-2007, 04:28 PM
google "asio for all" it pretty much works with any setup wether it's compatable or not, it's all software...

as for the rest, if you're really hardcore about it, you may be able to use the resource hacker prog that Xcom posted about many moons ago and try to fudge your way into the wmp resources and change it's default mixer/input/output

yeah, Im using ASIOforall, so maybe I'll try that resource hack. Could you kindly find that post for me?

Thanks,
Indybird

Luke122
09-23-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm going to look into this as well, as Foobar is too processor intensive for my work laptop. I'd stick with Winamp if the output was as good..