PDA

View Full Version : HDD Problems. urgent :(

D1337
09-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Alright, so i bought a new raptor (10k sata hdd)
formatted it and installed xp home. Got it working and windows running perfectly fine. Went to try my EIDE HDD that ive been using on my pc since i bought it. Worked.

After a few minutes i was at my desktop and all my icons + cursers disappeared.
All that reamined was my wallpaper. So i hit the power button and started it up again, but i booted to the new raptor, it asked me to check the memory and files or w/e (before windows starts) I agreed and it started changing and deleting files.... BUT it was messing with my OLD HDD, I didnt want to stop it halfway hitting the power button, incase it would fck something up so i let it finish.

Restarted on my Old HDD, Nvidia boot agent error. Which is usually a cable loose or something, opened my case replugged everything and now im getting a harddrive error. I dont remember exactly what it said but it was like "Cannot read Harddrive press Ctrl+Alt+del to restart"

I boot up my raptor, and now my usb optical mouse isnt being detected (plug and play, doesnt need drivers) So im forced to use HALF of a regular mouse since the other half was being modded =.= and it worked.

I can view and access my OLD HDD from booting XP on my raptor, but i want to be able to boot from my old hdd.

anyone have suggstions or ideas?

xRyokenx
09-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Soo... you're asking about how to get the old HDD to boot, and there's no problems with the Raptor, right? I'd recommend possibly setting it up in another computer if possible, if it doesn't have an OS, use another HDD with an OS or a live Linux disc. That or it's old and decrepit and it might not be working.

D1337
09-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Raptor works with the exception of it not detecting my basic optical mouse. (and raptor has a working os)
My old HDD is readable but wont boot, (now it says its missing the entire system directory, which is like windows/system32/system or something)

I can access the Repair command prompt for my old HD, but im not sure what good thats going to do.

Ive never tried ghosting a hd, but i guess if i have to i could probably duplicate my old HD onto my raptor, since i think im only at 130~ gigs on my old one.

D1337
09-15-2007, 03:47 PM
you can close this if you want, cause ive spent about 4 hours trying several recovery methods and none of them worked. Even better is that the "fixes" caused my raptor to have an error, so im gonna reformat the raptor get my cookies, and what ever i can salvage off my old HDD then reformat that. =.= I swear windows programmers are horrible!

And instead of fixing the problem they end up just creating a brand new OS to get rid of it.

xRyokenx
09-15-2007, 03:49 PM
BTW... Acronis (there are other programs out there but I don't nkow of any) removes all other partitions if you ghost a drive... just so you know.

D1337
09-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the help offer, but after looking through what i had, MOST of it can be replaced or i wont need. Lucky me, for some reason im missing my whole 'application data' folder so i wont be getting my ~150 bookmarks back.

which is kinda ironic since i had bookmarked around 20 links for new computer parts.

andymushu
09-15-2007, 08:26 PM
you could try doing a chkdisk (i think thats the command) from the command prompt on the old hard drive. i have no clue whether or not this will work, as i have never tried it, but it may be worth a shot.

D1337
09-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Tried that like first, didnt work. anyways ive already started from scratch

andymushu
09-15-2007, 10:21 PM
alright, sorry i couldn't help. good luck on the restarting from scratch

Crazy Buddhist
09-20-2007, 03:32 PM
After a few minutes i was at my desktop and all my icons + cursers disappeared.

Sounds like explorer.exe crashed ... ever hit something like this again use the windows key to open the start menu or hit ctrl+alt+del and open task manager and run a new instance of explorer.exe ... usually brings everything back to life.

D1337
09-20-2007, 04:51 PM
I did try ctrl alt del, but apparently my system files mysteriously disappeared mid session and yeah. then all hell broke loose.

Crazy Buddhist
09-20-2007, 10:11 PM
woo nassty ... does indeed dound like fresh install time.

Luke122
09-20-2007, 11:46 PM
I would try a repair first.. might be enough to get working well enough to save your data. Then back it up, and NUKE IT.