PDA

View Full Version : Wont connect to internet...

dfigravity
09-15-2007, 09:05 AM
What's up everyone? Long time no post! So I am trying to help my buddy out who lives across the st with his laptop...he has an HP that he says all of a sudden won't connect to the internet. Sounds fishy right? So I've checked everything...it's setup to automatically detect LAN settings, it's using DHCP etc etc...when I plug it into my wireless router it shows as connected but there isn't a whole lot going on in the send/recieve dept. I can also connect it to my wireless network no problems. So then I tried both a ping a tracert cmd to google.com and cha-ching! It worked! But it still wont connect to the internet. It's keeps giving me that Try Again / Work Offline window, but somehow it can ping out to other places. I am baffled...has anyone ever had this issue before? Thanks in advance guys (and girls!)

Vince

HackSore
09-15-2007, 09:13 AM
If your trying to use internet explorer, make sure it isnt set to work offline, infact, check it anyway, i have had problems with things not connecting to the net because of explorer being set for offline use, even though i dont use it.

Worth a try.

calumc
09-15-2007, 09:14 AM
you could try giving it a static ip, maybe the DHCp is just a bit messed up

dfigravity
09-15-2007, 10:11 AM
I checked the work offline and It wasn't set, good thinking though. I've also tried a static IP...not sure what to set it as though...

Mysteriphys
09-15-2007, 11:59 AM
my modem tutorial is based on a different subject, but most times the reset to factory step will help. sounds like roughly the same problem, just in a more advanced context.

Cabel Modem Tutorial (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10428)

Crazy Buddhist
09-15-2007, 12:26 PM
If it will ping to an IP address but not find a www address then it sounds like a DNS issue to me. Usually the quickest way to check that is set a static IP address and set the DNS servers manully. If you don't know what they are phone his ISP or set them to your routers LAN side address, usually 192.168.1.1 or .254 or 10.0.0.138, depending on the make and model - won't always work but will in most modern routers as long as you haven't disabled the DNS.

The other possibility would be that the IP chain has been hijacked by some malware - rip his disk out, slam dunk it in yours as a slave and then run antivrus and adaware and spybot on it.

:)

dfigravity
09-15-2007, 02:02 PM
The other possibility would be that the IP chain has been hijacked by some malware - rip his disk out, slam dunk it in yours as a slave and then run antivrus and adaware and spybot on it.

:)

I went through and set a static IP on the same net as mine (I brought his pc to my place and hooked it up to my connection) and set the DNS servers the same etc etc. but still nothing.

I am starting to think malware or something like it is the problem...he bought this thing and then took it to Afganistan with him and began swapping files like it was going out of style...whenever you startup the PC several cmd prompt script things run... for example "j6472622.exe" and it says something about a .pif file. I'm afraid to get his drive anywhere near any of mine :) I might tell him this could end up being a loos and a tough lesson on his part...
Thanks for all the input guys!

Crazy Buddhist
09-15-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm afraid to get his drive anywhere near any of mine :) I might tell him this could end up being a loos and a tough lesson on his part...
Thanks for all the input guys!

DO what I said above slam dunk in as a slave nothing can run on startup or touch your registry, then do all the scans you can think of on it and it will come out clean as a whistle. No harm can befall your machine. Trust me I know my ****.

Repairing the IP stuff is sometimes messy afterwards - there are tools to do it but I don't recall. I'll use my googlefu for you later if I am up to it - first give it a good clean and don't be a wuss - he's a mate.

xmastree
09-15-2007, 02:27 PM
whenever you startup the PC several cmd prompt script things run... for example "j6472622.exe" and it says something about a .pif file.That's not good. In fact, it sounds very bad. Grab some antivirus and antispyware software, bung them on a CD and install them on his PC. That ought to clean out some of the mess.

Next time you see that .exe file, note the name and google it.

Run msconfig and see what's in the startup lists.

Look at autoexec.bat if there is one (you don't really need one these days).

dfigravity
09-15-2007, 02:43 PM
yea...it's looking more and more like he has a worm...at the very least. I would slave it on to mine, but it's a laptop HD and I dont have the little adapter you need. I'm going through in Safe Mode and running every scanning program I have to see if any of it works :devious:

calumc
09-15-2007, 03:36 PM
you could try booting from a linux cd just to rule out any hardware issues once and for all

dfigravity
09-15-2007, 08:19 PM
well, I looked at a few tutorials and other general info sites and I have gone through with a few different scans plus McAfee AVERT Stinger, and I just made a HijackThis log...we'll see what some of these sites say, but it looked like a few different trojans and worms, malware, greyware (never heard of that one before) and some other crap. I can get on the internet with FireFox in safe mode with that computer. I don't know what he downloaded or whatever, but man...it's a bit**.