PDA

View Full Version : Creative Alchemy Alternative

Indybird
09-17-2007, 06:40 PM
While playing far cry last night I realised that my specs set themselves to Pro Logic II Music, instead of digital 5.1 mode like it should since I have Far Cry set to 5.1. With a bit of research i found that direct3D audio doesn't work in vista. Oi. With a little more research i found out that creative Alchemy fixes that. Of course theres a catch though, its $10 and only compatible with Creative cards (which I'll never buy). Does anyone know of an alternative or plans for an alternative to Alchemy? I miss my 5.1 gaming. :(

-Indybird

xRyokenx
09-17-2007, 06:42 PM
I come in here expecting some sort of Chemisty, I leave disappointed.

But yeah, I'm quite sure there's something out there, lol... I don't have Vista, or I'd find solutions to these quirks, kind hard in XP, lol. Sorry I can't help.

Indybird
09-19-2007, 10:13 PM
No ideas? I'd really like to get my 5.1 gaming back...

Thanks in advance,
Indybird

carvernut
09-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Why don't you like creative? sounds like a story behind that

Indybird
09-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Creative's aren't bad, but they never have the features I want. Things I want in a sound card:
-Standard Front Panel Connector Pins
-Latest Dolby technologies
-Optical Outputs on the sound card
-Really good Driver support

Neeways, thats simply why I don't want creative. Right now I'm looking at the Razer Barracuda AC-1, and based on the reviews, that should suit me just fine.

-Indybird

carvernut
09-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Creative's aren't bad, but they never have the features I want. Things I want in a sound card:
-Standard Front Panel Connector Pins
-Latest Dolby technologies
-Optical Outputs on the sound card
-Really good Driver support

Neeways, thats simply why I don't want creative. Right now I'm looking at the Razer Barracuda AC-1, and based on the reviews, that should suit me just fine.

-Indybird

ah okie i understand now

J-Roc
01-09-2008, 02:51 AM
Do you use onboard sound or an expansion card? Check the vendors site for vista compatible drivers. There should be somthing besides alchemy for legacy titles.

BTW, there are 3rd party cards that use the creative chipset and have the I/O and dolby features you want. Cant comment on the drivers though.