PDA

View Full Version : Boot up (or lack there of) error.

Aero
09-17-2007, 06:54 PM
This is strange. Last night I was working on my desktop completely fine. I have up-to-date virus definitions, all the MS updates for XP, and it was all running smooth. I turned it off like normal through windows and it shut down smooth. Now this morning I tried turning it on, my lights turn on and fan all run. But my Monitor stays black and says "no video input". (I have an ATI 9800 XT (AGP)). The monitor still works cause I can hook it up to my laptop fine. Anoth oditiy is that my USB ports are getting power because the power light on my USB webcam light up fine. But my keyboard has no power. None of the caps/scroll/num lock lights light up. My mouse works, but not the keyboard. Theres no beeping when it starts up or anything, so no error codes. I'm completely stumped on this. Does anyone have anyidea whats going on? Or atleast what I should check. I thought it might be my video card, but that won't explain the keyboard, and then I though mobo, but everything still runs so that can't be it.

dgrmkrp
09-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Errm.. this is a case of either cpu gone dead.. or a mobo gone dead.. or asleep :) I recommend taking your pc apart, and letting only the mobo, cpu and speaker for testing. If you get beeps, then something is bad, but not fatal.. If you get no beep, then it's bad.. let the mobo unplugged for a day or two, remove the battery, flash the bios.. try your best :( If it works after, then it is a case of gremlins.. if not.. happy shopping :(

crenn
09-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Erase the CMOS and also try reseating your graphics card just in case. Check for capacitors which are bulging on the motherboard.

Jim Beam
09-17-2007, 09:25 PM
I have that problem on my other computer it's a loose pin on the extra 12v connector. so might be your PSU.

Crazy Buddhist
09-18-2007, 02:05 AM
I have that problem on my other computer it's a loose pin on the extra 12v connector. so might be your PSU.

I was going to say my first thought is to go with Slytherock on this and blame the PSU but apparantly this time I'm going with Jim Beam.

crenn's advice is also spot on and not many people know to take a look at the capacitors.

*cough* +reps

Luke122
09-18-2007, 08:22 AM
This problem is very similar to one other I've seen... the reset button was stuck. The board and peripherals still get power, but not the cpu. It's a long shot, but if this is the case, it's much easier to fix than the other possibilities mentioned above. :)

Aero
09-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks guys. I'm in class right now, and then I've got to get an assignment done by 4:00, so when I'm done with that I will have sometime to check the PC more. I'm pretty sure its not the restart button, I've had to reset it with that a few times since this happened and nothing changed. I'm going to unhook everything and plug it all back it, maybe switch up some molex connectors. When I'm doing that I'll check for anything that looks burst. Hopefully that should let me get some sort of response. I'll post back after I do all that.

alexanderH
09-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Well everyone seems to have the first steps bang on the head.
Make sure you check all power connections. Verify that you are getting full wattage from the PSU if you have a tester.
Make sure your vid card is seated. If you still dont have it working, clear cmos, bios and reseat the clock battery. If this does not get you anywhere try the unplug and play method. Unplug everything, and plug just your modo/ram into the pus. if you get beeps you can fix, otherwise the future starts to look dim.
good luck!

Aero
09-19-2007, 07:02 PM
well, I've been looking a this thing for about an hour now. I've taken every off, tried it. But it all back in, tried it. took out the vid card tried it, put the card back in and tried it. I took another PSU from another PC and tried it. Same deal. The computer will seem to start up, but with out video or keyboard. I pluged in a speaker from my other comp to the mobo, its not putting out any sounds, no beeps or anything. I'm going to borrow someones multimeter later and test voltages from the PSU.

Otherwise it looks like clear the cmos and bios is next. I've never had to flash a mobo before, so I'm gonna check out gigabyte's website and see how to do it on this mobo. BTW, its a Gigabyte 8IK1100 rev 2.

I also noticed that when its starting up the CPU and chipset fan will spin for about 2 seconds, stop, start, stop, then start again. I never noticed that before, although its possible its always done that.

Crazy Buddhist
09-19-2007, 10:16 PM
well, I've been looking a this thing for about an hour now. I've taken every off, tried it. But it all back in, tried it. took out the vid card tried it, put the card back in and tried it. I took another PSU from another PC and tried it. Same deal. The computer will seem to start up, but with out video or keyboard. I pluged in a speaker from my other comp to the mobo, its not putting out any sounds, no beeps or anything. I'm going to borrow someones multimeter later and test voltages from the PSU.

Otherwise it looks like clear the cmos and bios is next. I've never had to flash a mobo before, so I'm gonna check out gigabyte's website and see how to do it on this mobo. BTW, its a Gigabyte 8IK1100 rev 2.

I also noticed that when its starting up the CPU and chipset fan will spin for about 2 seconds, stop, start, stop, then start again. I never noticed that before, although its possible its always done that.

You can't flash the BIOS if the machine will not boot so dont waste too much time looking that up yet.

ASSUMING the PSU you removed and tried was fully working and powerful enough for your rig you have ruled that out.

NEXT step try clearing the CMOS with the jumpers (no need to remove battery as some peeps think, jumper x 10 missisipi is good ) and unplug everything - all pci + usb devices except your video card, ram, k/b + mouse + system speaker.

If it doesn't produce BIOS beeps at this point it is almost certainly the MOBO. To confirm try the CPU in another system (don't forget the thermal paste) and if it runs then it very much looks as if you need to go shopping I'm sorry to say.

EDIT: found this on a daniweb thread (http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread25310.html)

"The burnt CPU is the reason your leds on the drives & keyboard don't blink/cycle because theyre not getting any IRQ (interrupts requests) that tell them to turn off/on etc. ALL These requests have to come thru the CPU.. but your CPU isn't working properly.
Trust me on this one. Either the CPU is burnt OR the connection to the mobo is bad (too much/ or no connecting grease; bad pins ..etc)."

Aero
09-20-2007, 06:11 PM
well, I striped it out again and realized one of the wires fell off my speaker:P. I fixed that and took out the video card. When I start it without the vid card there is a very faint clickling from the speaker. Replaceing the card changed that, but still no change overall. I took off the heatsink and the CPU looks fine, although it could be fried. I think I'm gonna order a replacement from newegg. Its an old socket 478, and a 2.8 ghz will run me about $30. An identical 3.0 will run about $80, I'll deal with the drop in .2 ghz. I figure that $40 (after shipping) will still be cheaper than buying a mobo or even a new comp. If that fixes it awesome, if not, I'll probably just buy a new cheap system.