PDA

View Full Version : Review: Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse

danthegeek
09-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Product: MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
Manufacture: Logitech
Price: About $99 U.S. (on sale for 79.99 at Newegg.com)

I have only had the mouse a few days, so this will be a quick review. Although after some time I will go further in depth with my thoughts towards this product.

At first glance the mouse is quite atractive and even more comfortable to use. Although this beauty has a few flaws that have seemed to make it more of a thorn then a rose.

Pros

This mouse has a nice color scheme of charcoal and gloss black and its sharp lines make it just as comfortable. The buttons are placed well and require minimal effort to use and become familiar with. The scroll wheels are even more of a surprise. The top wheel can be set to "click-to-click" mode as most scroll wheels have been for a long time. But, you can also set it to "free spin" which has a smooth, even spin for fast scrolling through web pages or documents. The battery meter is a great feature and gives you plenty of warning until they run out of juice. The mouse also has rechargeable batteries that seem to last quite a long time. I have been using it for over 20+ hours and they still have 80% of their charge left.

The software supplied with the mouse allows you to customize it to your preferences with great ease. You can customize everything from your pointer speed and acceleration too specific tasks for the buttons. The default settings seems to be the most logical and will probably need little tweaking.

Cons

It has a higher class look and feel but I wouldn't recommend it for gaming. Because it is wireless, you will lose quite a bit of responsiveness and accuracy. Even with a lot of tweaking with different speeds and acceleration rates of the pointer it just doesn't go where you need it to all the time. Ive also experienced random loss of mouse control, where I was unable to move the pointer and press any of its buttons with response. This seems to happen when you lift the mouse off of the pad when you are in the middle of a fire fight. You find yourself unable to fire back or look around for about 5 seconds and you are the next easy victim. I have also had trouble with jumpiness of the pointer, meaning it is to responsive and inaccurate at times. You may only need to move the pointer a few millimeters and move you hand accordingly but the pointer may not move at all or go a hundred miles an hour flying past it. You must also lift the mouse over a half an inch off of the pad so it will not read the surface. This is both good and bad, good if you use it on your lap or table but bad if you use it for gaming since you will have to lift the mouse high off of the pad to look around. The mouse also seems to loose more responsiveness the farther away it is from the usb receiver. This is no surprise since most wireless mice are like this.

Final thoughts

This mouse is a great work of art but serves little function in the gaming world. I am more impressed with the accuracy of my $30 laser mouse made by "Cyber Snipa" then i am with this product. However, If you are more into web browsing and maybe a little photo editing then it will probably serve its purpose well for you. I guess i was expecting more then an average product for a hundred dollars.

This product gets a 6 out of 10

:up::up::up::up::up::up::down::down::down::down:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m65/danthegeek/mx_revolution.jpg

EDIT- I have re-calibrated and moved the receiver closer to the mouse so the score goes up a bit. I still think you have to raise the mouse to high off of the pad when gaming but it seems to track much better now.

New score: 8 out 10

:up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::down::down:

Written by: danthegeek

doesi87
09-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey danthegeek first of all you did a nice review in the revolution. I have just one little comment about the rating. If you're not into gaming that much/use the mouse only for things where a perfect precision isn't that necessary than you will love it. So I'm not saying this to make your review bad or something, but to talk about the nice features it has for office/web etc.

The 2 way scroll wheel is very nice and you will love it over time if you work with long documents or other fast changes using the scroll wheel. Also it work s sideways which is a nice feature. I know many mice have it now but thought it should be mentioned.

As you mentioned the buttons are positioned in a very nice way and the whole mouse is very ergonomic and not hurting your hand after a while. At least for my hand :)

The second wheel at the side is pretty nice in zoom mode to work with cad/graphic software or to simply zoom office documents. I use this feature quit a lot lately and don't want to miss it any more.

My buttons work about a meter in the air and there is no delay after placing it onto the desk again, but maybe I got you wrong there.

Again, I don't want to mess with your review but I think it just covers the general things and the gaming use of the mouse. In stuff like office and such things it deserves a much higher rating. Just wanted to say this so the not gamers aren't scared by this :D

D1337
09-18-2007, 04:28 PM
"I am more impressed with the accuracy of my $30 laser mouse made by "Cyber Snipa" then i am with this product"

The g5 hit an all time low in prices at $25 after two rebates, just thought i should mention it.

"loose"
lose*

+rep for review

danthegeek
09-18-2007, 04:45 PM
thanks guys. I did review the mouse at a gamers perspective because that was my intention for its use. i do think my rating is low for general use, Id have to give it an 8 there. My major problem with this mouse is its cost. For $100 i want it to do everything, including gaming. Although, I did purchase this with a gift card at Micro Center, if it were my hard earned money Id have to find something else. i do like it, dont get me wrong. I just think the accuracy of the pointer needs to be a little better. If it were it would be a 9 for sure.

Oh, i got my "Cyber Snipa" mouse about 8 months ago and it was the cheapest laser/gaming mouse available.

A thought. Logitech should have a cable for this mouse so you can plug it directly into a usb port (make it wired). It might not look as good but it would be the most amazing and accurate mouse on the market.

xRyokenx
09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
For precision aiming I like my trackball, I just wish they were more popular and that they would make a high quality wired (with a wireless version too) gaming trackball, four buttons is lame for FPS games.

But yeah, great review.

Indybird
09-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Very nice review dan. I gotta say, I think you might be having some bad luck with that mouse. I haven't had any tracking problems w/ it. I get great results in games and such. Where/how far away is your reciever?

Mine is on my G15 USB port about a foot away. My biggest complaint is the battery life, I get through about 2 days on a single charge. By the way, would you mind if I submit my review? I was going to submit one sometime soon. I just don't want to seem like a copying asshole.

Nice review, good luck w/ your mouse.

-Indybird

danthegeek
09-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Mine is on my G15 USB port about a foot away. My biggest complaint is the battery life, I get through about 2 days on a single charge. By the way, would you mind if I submit my review? I was going to submit one sometime soon. I just don't want to seem like a copying asshole.

Mine is about 6 feet away. Its plugged into the back of my rig that is under my desk. I tried putting it on a usb extension cable made for flash drives and it seems to work much better. I also messed with the pointer speeds and seem to have it calibrated better.

As far as another review, the more the better. Id love to get your view on the product and feel free to use mine in reference or a starting point.

-danthegeek

BerticusPryme
09-19-2007, 12:22 PM
I have one of these also. picked it up about 6 or so months ago. i love mine. I use it on everything from autocad to bioshock. I have a g11 keyboard with the receiver in the back of it and it works really nice. one thing to note. If you are not running the software and just install it and let windows find it you will have problems. I attended lan party this past weekend and did not have the software installed for it. my friend sat next to me and his microsoft wireless desktop 5000 keyboard would lock hard when i got to close to his system. So there can be some interference issues if you are not careful

jdbnsn
09-20-2007, 04:05 AM
I use this same mouse with the Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard and when I had the reciever plugged into the back of my PC I had the same lag issues. I moved the recievers to the USB ports on the side of my monitor and now it works great. That would be my only gripe, the very limited range. But now that there is no lag, it's the best mouse I've ever used, even for BF2.

Jon

Scotty
09-29-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm using my Revolution with the receiver plugged into the back of my G11, so i have no wireless issues.

Nice review too :)

Spawn-Inc
09-30-2007, 07:58 PM
^do you get any lag? i guess i could just try it myself though...