PDA

View Full Version : USB 3 and something funny

dgrmkrp
09-19-2007, 06:35 AM
From xbitlabs.com (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20070918162439.html)
The USB Implementers Forum, a non-profit organization that supervises development of universal serial bus (USB) unveiled the 3.0 version of the world’s most popular interconnection standard for peripherals at the ongoing Intel Developer Forum (IDF). The new USB 3.0 spec will allow to boost the transfer rates to unprecedented levels, something truly valuable in the world of high-definition videos and high-res photos.

While retaining full backward compatibility with USB 1.0 and USB 2.0, devices that feature USB 3.0 will be able to transfer data at up to 10 times higher speed compared to USB 2.0, or at 4.8Gb/s, meaning that a file as large as 600MB could be transferred in just a second in the best case scenario. In addition, the USB 3.0 specification will be optimized for low power and improved protocol efficiency. USB 3.0 ports and cabling will be designed to enable backward compatibility as well as future-proofing for optical capabilities.

“USB 3.0 is the next logical step for the PC’s most popular wired connectivity. The digital era requires high-speed performance and reliable connectivity to move the enormous amounts of digital content now present in everyday life. USB 3.0 will meet this challenge while maintaining the ease-of-use experience that users have come to love and expect from any USB technology,” said Jeff Ravencraft, technology strategist with Intel and president of the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF).
While today speeds like 600MB/s may seem excessive for the mainstream market, in several years time they will be absolutely necessary as high-definition camcorders or high-resolution cameras become more widespread.
A completed USB 3.0 specification is expected by the first half of 2008. USB 3.0 implementations will initially be in the form of discrete silicon.

I think this is great! Not just the part where tbcs gets the best performance ;) but also when dealing with file transfers and cams :) Imagine transferring a full-length dvd in a few seconds.. just wow!

simon275
09-19-2007, 06:57 AM
That cool with the 600MB/s. It's also good to see it is managed by a non profit organization.

XcOM
09-19-2007, 07:07 AM
now if the new psp could use usb 3 bonus, transuring files/videos will be soooo much quicker.

xRyokenx
09-19-2007, 03:42 PM
I just moved to 2.0 with my last mobo... whatever, I can always get a card. It's not like USB 2.0 is SLOW or something...

Quakken
09-19-2007, 03:57 PM
It would be nice though, your external hard drive would be nearly (if not as) fast as your internal one. Although, this means that its just another technology i am going to have to wait for before i do a major upgrade to the ole' compaq.

dgrmkrp
09-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, it seems sata, usb, PCI, sockets.. everything is upgrading.. all for our well being, but our pockets will scream in nakedness ;) I thought it was funny that they said "the best case scenario" (I'm like dumb and dumber when it comes to some word games..), cause I have no use for more bandwidth on the usb.. instead, I would like more amps on it :) :evil: >> more fans, lights and whatnot could be on as long as the psu is on :D

xenosagarox
09-19-2007, 05:13 PM
QUOTE: meaning that a file as large as 600MB could be transferred in just a second in the best case scenario

I didn't this forum transferred files that fast...lol:D