PDA

View Full Version : case cooling

quaker
08-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Hi, im new to this whole case modding thing but im interested since My computer needs an overhaul anyway. I have recently gotten great upgrades but, come summer, not only did my good card burn out (ati x800) but so did my POS backup (I dont even know the company just made sure it was compatible). Because of these problems I have with heat (I nearly burnt out my CPU during a marathon session), I;d like to get started on case modding. And my first area of interest is cooling. What are my options? I'd prefer powerful noisy cooling to quiet but less functional cooling. I've looked around on various sites, and I see lots of solutions ranging from 20 to 1000 dollars, so id like to keep it low. I came to these forums because, having seen the quality of the work done on the cases, I though you guys might as well know a thing or two about cooling systems.

edit: until these burns started happening, the duct tape + ac solution was it, but that is no longer an option :/

sXenoG
08-06-2005, 08:10 PM
If youre willing to pay a little over 200$ someone correct me if im wrong on that amount. Go with watercooling. Better performance then air and man o man does it look alot cooler. There are several liquids u can replace the water witht hat cannot harm ur electronics but if it leaks it causes a white residue. As far as I kno watercooling if done properly and tested well its 100% safe.

I believe the tdx waterblock from dangerden is top notch again someone correct me if im wrong. Then theres tons of resivoires<sp you can choose from and it seems to me that there are 2 pumps that are consistently being used.

DC:http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=36&cat=23&page=1
AC:http://www.dangerdenstore.com/home.php?cat=26 (this 1 im not sure what people are using its 1 of those tho)

I myself am planning to go to watercooling in several months and it seems highly reccomended by some communities

quaker
08-06-2005, 08:23 PM
i thought this would be it, water cooling turned up alot during my search. anyway, anyone have any tips for installing this stuff?

sXenoG
08-06-2005, 08:30 PM
I forgot to mention a radiator but im sure u knew about that. I wish I had tips but i need them as much as you wait a couple hours and im sure someone will be able to come on and help out.

quaker
08-06-2005, 08:48 PM
:)

same here, im doing my research as I check this thread. I've found several sources where I can get a water cooling system (system, all parts included) compatible with my hardware. However, cooling for the REAL issue, my videocard, I can only find standalone pieces for. GPU Block i think its called, does this just go in the same circuit/system as the CPU fan or would I need a seperate setup for this too?

sXenoG
08-06-2005, 09:19 PM
same "circuit"
What seems to determine how much you can have in one circuit is your radiator and your pumps you'll need to get advice from someone else who knows more about this im plannign to run my 2 gpus and cpu possibly my chipset as well all thru one system if its permits.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~lukestclair/mypic362.jpg

quaker
08-08-2005, 11:37 AM
ok, so at the moment im looking at this kit from Corsair:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=144&type=expert

IMO it would be alright because it includes everything but the videocard block, and has instructions on how to do everything. I am not used to doing stuff like this so if someone DOES have a better set to link me to, i'd appreciate if it would have instructions included. I only picked the above set because it has instructions, and I assume that once I set up the system, I could figure out how to put in the videocard block.

Dark-hobo
08-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I just realized that fuel pumps run off of 12V DC. I wonder if you could adapt one of those to a water cooling system. Those things pump WAY more than these pumps you guys are looking at. And you can get a semi cheap one for like $40 or less. I need money so I can expirement with this :P. Luckily I just got a job.

sXenoG
08-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Wish i could say yes quaker but i honestly dont kno i have however seen a comment that saide if u ever want the best build it custom dont buy kits.

Dark hobo unless gas pumps are low pressure there could be an issue.

Dark-hobo
08-09-2005, 05:22 AM
even if they are high pressure all you would have to do is beef up the pipes and your reservoir.

Malatory
08-09-2005, 03:34 PM
can you post pics of you rig right now.

I would bet that you have your wire every which way and they are blocking air flow. Plus how clean/ dirty are your fans. If you dont take care of the inside right now. Water cooling can/will cause more problem. You also should not leave a water color system on all of the time. You also have to make sure you inspect the system to keep the system working (and make sure you dont spring a leak).

quaker
08-10-2005, 12:35 PM
well my case is very unorganized atm, but my computer hasnt run for a while now due to repairs. The first card burnt because I left the case open after installation and was too lazy to close it up :( The second one burnt because it is a useless piece of junk. My wires are not very organized but they are always kept away from fans. The fans are, however, filthy, although this has not been a problem before :rolleyes:

even if they are high pressure all you would have to do is beef up the pipes and your reservoir.
Wouldn't it just be easier to use the right pump?

Dark-hobo
08-10-2005, 04:13 PM
But see I believe fuel pumps move fluid much faster. So I think you could get some ridiculous flow going with one of these things...

slaveofconvention
08-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Just be careful with high flow rates. Yes, in theory faster flow is generally better, but you can go too far. Blasting the water or water replacement solution through the radiator too quickly will reduce the amount of heat removed from the solution, on top of which, higher flow rates usually means higher pressure, which in turn, will increase the likelihood of leaks from seals....

Dark-hobo
08-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Just be careful with high flow rates. Yes, in theory faster flow is generally better, but you can go too far. Blasting the water or water replacement solution through the radiator too quickly will reduce the amount of heat removed from the solution, on top of which, higher flow rates usually means higher pressure, which in turn, will increase the likelihood of leaks from seals....

That was the only other worry I had besides if you could even do it... I think I might expiriment with this once I finish my comp...

subdismal
08-11-2005, 12:12 AM
If you're looking for great cooling performance for less the cost, definitely go with a watercooling kit. DangerDen is top notch out there, and the kits definitely deliver the bang for the buck.

However, if you're looking to really increase your cooling performance, try doing a barebone-esque item shopping for your watercooling parts. Get a DangerDen TDX block (two inlets, one outlet; opposed the RBX block with one inlet, one outlet), and definitely plan on running 1/2" Tygon tubing. Tygon doesn't crimp as easy, which will come in handy when you're bending it around all your pricey internals. I'm really not too savvy with the best pumps and radiators out there, but if you're feeling adventurous, think about getting a car heatercore and taking it to a radiator shop to have the 1/2" barbs put on for use in your watercooling rig. Heatercores from a Chevette and Corsica (both Chevrolet) will run you about $20 and $30 respectively, and will give you superior cooling opposed to running a standard radiator with a kit, or something specific to watercooling your computer. One thing to consider though, is making a shroud for your radiator or heatercore (if you choose to go that route), and definitely run 120MM fans. The 120's push more air for less the noise, and can overall increase your cooling, if you use the shrouds to send the air where it is meant to go.

The only downfall to watercooling is maintenance. If you don't get the proper chemicals to put in your line to prevent from corrosion and other gunk build-ups, you'll be in a serious world of hurt. So, you have to fill & bleed your system about once a month, sometimes sooner. Also, you have to use distilled water. Water from the tap has chemicals that will gunk up your tubes and your waterblocks. Also, decide if you want to run a T-line fill or a reservoir.

Another alternative is phase change systems, or peltiers. Do some research on those, but that's some pretty extreme stuff. We're talking overclocking goodness at -30F or lower temperatures.

If you're not too skilled with this stuff, and still want to do it, do some research on the Web, look at different kits, gather how they're rated, then find the best one for your socket type and your usage. Read up some guides to watercooling, learn the basic principles and such of how it works (dissipating heat from the processor, into the water, for starters), and then do some price comparisons on what you decide.

Don't rule out a heatsink and fan combination, though. On one of my computers, I'm running a Thermalright SLK900A (I believe), with a 92MM Vantec Tornado (on a rheobus, of course), and I'm idling at 25C with a slight overclock.

By the way, this is my first post here on TBCS. Look forward to contributing in the future, starting some worklogs, and helping out just as much as learning in the future.

Shane33
08-11-2005, 02:30 AM
If you want a simple but sort of ugly and boring solution to exaust heat away from your graphic card, just buy a PCI Exaust fan, they cost about $4 from newegg without shipping, they look simple but they really bring VGA temps down.

quaker
08-26-2005, 10:57 AM
it took a while, but here are pictures of my case:

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=302557

EDIT: imagedump not working :(

snefan
08-27-2005, 11:20 PM
try link only