PDA

View Full Version : Good news for the Canadian dollar

DaJe
09-20-2007, 03:03 PM
As you can see here (http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=1&from=USD&to=CAD&submit=Convert), the U.S. dollar is now worth less than half a ****ing cent more than the Canadian dollar. Even less then 1/18th of a cent. It's into the ****ing hundreths of a cent now. I saw someone post this link somewhere earlier today, when it was at 1.0008. When I clicked the link, it was at 1.0003. Now when I click it it's at 1.0005. But, it doesn't even make a difference now, since it's still basically just 1 dollar.

calumc
09-20-2007, 03:09 PM
But you still cant buy from Newegg!! :p

but then again neither can I.... *leaves quietly*

AJ@PR
09-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Is that the big state up north?

Omega
09-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Ca-na-da? is that that place with their hock-key? and the gee-tars?

xRyokenx
09-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Pitiful, soon the US dollar is gonna be worth hardly anything. Tahm tae moov dawg. lol But yeah, kinda pathetic that we need to print out more money to pay off debts and wages of politicians or wherever it's going to.

slytherock
09-20-2007, 04:47 PM

nop, it's where football have only 3 downs... :banana: It's football time :banana:

Mysteriphys
09-20-2007, 05:08 PM
:bunny::bunny::bunny: WOOT!!! export laws suck though, I want my newegg back, you know they used to have shipping to canada? I was living in az at the time though so it was kind of a moot point anywho, I hope this bodes well for the canadian economy. maybe I'll be able to afford my upgrades :-D :twisted::twisted:
:banana::banana::banana:

NightrainSrt4
09-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey!!!! The jets are awesome! That has been my team for almost 10 years.

You know how much crap I went through when the Patriots won the superbowl the first time "all those years ago" lmao. I cheer for the pats too, home team afterall, but the Jets are my team and have been since i was a little kid...so when they play each other, its "GOOO JETS!!!!". Even though, for the majority of the last 10 years they haven't done all to much.

But ya, it sucks that the US dollar is meaning less and less every day. If only we could fix our own issues instead of butting our asses in other countries business. But we've done that ever since we became our own country, crap, we did it before that...

I guess we will never learn.

But I do love the USA. But every day canada seems like a much nicer alternative... ... ...

dont flame me for that, just does...personal opinion

Airbozo
09-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Too bad they have so few NHL teams now... sad really, but the economy of the US makes it almost impossible for any professional Canadian hockey team to recruit good players and pay them accordingly...

Back to your regularly scheduled rant...

Crimson Sky
09-20-2007, 07:02 PM
wow this all means a ticket to go see a Canadian rules football game is now only worth $0.50USD.

Crazy Buddhist
09-21-2007, 02:49 AM
wow this all means a ticket to go see a Canadian rules football game is now only worth $0.50USD.

PMSL !!!!!!!!

DaJe
09-21-2007, 03:05 AM
The Canadian dollar is now officially worth more than the U.S. dollar.

XcOM
09-21-2007, 02:59 PM
1 GBP = 2.02064 USD (YAY, England Leads the way)
1 EUR = 1.40825 USD
1 CAD = 0.999803 USD (US Doller worth more than Can)
1 AUD = 0.866035 USD (Ohhh,, US Doller worth more than Aussie)
1 ATS = 0.102341 USD (Thats Aussie shilling)
1 JPY = 0.00866901 USD

Well after some looking into it, it seems UK dosen't have the strongest currency in the world!
1 KWD = 3.56290 USD (Kuwait Dinars)

Luke122
09-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Woot! Go CANADA!!!

OK, so the value of the dollars = not a big deal. Actually, with the CAD being so strong right now it's actually hurting Canadian industry. We've lost tons of jobs here already.. :(

Greco101
09-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Ya, the USA just got through rolling another 16 billion dollars off of the press... Did wonders for the value of our dollar. Wonder where in the hell it came from? Stupid America.

Crazy Buddhist
09-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Greco

All I know is it came from your pockets by creating inflationary momentum and ended up on George Bush's Face as an (snake)oilman's smile.

Phoney illegal war is what he and his buddies have ripped you good folk off with, imo, while he and his chums have gotten rich off same. It's a shame not on but for the good folk of America and a damn shame they fell for him twice. I feel most sorry for those who have lost children / brothers / fathers and friends to his 'cause'.

Quakken
09-21-2007, 11:29 PM
We all hate him. We will hate him forever.

Why did we elect him for a second term? Why did we ever elect him in the first place? Didn't we realize that he's just a political buffoon, as well as a puppet for the very right? (not right as in "correct", by the way.)

What money do they use in new zealand? I hear the weather is nice there.

Edit- Whatever happened to reagonomics? What happened to "the republicans are supposed to pinch the pennies and have less taxes"? instead of throw money at things and then cut taxes?

Clinton set us up for no debt by 2015 or something like that. Then bush comes in and CUTS taxes while SPENDING more. It's basic economics, you twit!

where do I email the president? (I was going to say "email a bullet straight to his face" but murder/violence is never the answer [although he doesn't know that, obviously])

Canadian Eh?
09-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Impossible?

Saku Koivu?
Michael Ryder?<-WOO! NEWFOUNDLAND!
Jerome Iginla?
Christabol Huet?
Alex Kovalev?

I think not.

onelegout
09-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Greco

All I know is it came from your pockets by creating inflationary momentum and ended up on George Bush's Face as an (snake)oilman's smile.

Phoney illegal war is what he and his buddies have ripped you good folk off with, imo, while he and his chums have gotten rich off same. It's a shame not on but for the good folk of America and a damn shame they fell for him twice. I feel most sorry for those who have lost children / brothers / fathers and friends to his 'cause'.
Erh... Not to knock you off your pedestal, but we're in the wars supporting him too...

AJ@PR
09-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Friendly Note:
Easy with the politics... easy with other people's opinions.

No flames please.

onelegout
09-24-2007, 01:22 PM
heh Im not flaming, just reminding :)

A lot of brits like to bash americans for being duped into going to war in Iraq and Afghanistan... They seem to forget that we did exactly the same thing and are equally as guilty.

Just my two cents.
H

AJ@PR
09-24-2007, 01:51 PM
It's good... reminder is for the general population... nobody in specific. :)

onelegout
09-24-2007, 04:15 PM
"Opinions are like assholes; Everyone has one and they all stink."

-Jeremy

Yeah.... nobody should have an opinion on anything which affects their lives and the wellbeing of humanity! How dare you guys voice an opinion on the people who dictate your lifestyle? [/sarcasm]
:neutral:

xRyokenx
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Well... in other news, we can at least hope for someone better next time 'round. For some reason (at least on books) some products are still like $10US or $15 CAN... kinda weird. Probably a good thing I don't worry about prices of anything, just calculate it into my budget or whatever. I don't complain about gas prices, I just kind of... ignore them or something. It's like: Stop bitchin' and think of and implement something to do about it. Just my .02 Euros.

onelegout
09-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Point taken minty, I misunderstood your use of the quote.

For the record, I support any of our troops serving in or out of combat. It's not the conduct of the war which I oppose, it is the false pretences that our governments went to war on.

'we're going to war because he has weapons of mass destruction'
none found.
'We went to war to remove a fascist regime, and restore freedom to an oppressed nation'.

It reminds me of history teachers telling children that we went to war in WWII because the nazis were committing genocide when all our government really cared about was hitler invading poland.... correct me if I'm wrong there by the way.... I did a history A-level but thats about as far as my knowledge goes!

So, who wants a cookie?
H

Edit: If the mods decide that political discussion is inappropriate, just tell me and I'll edit my posts.
I personally enjoy discussing current events with people... perhaps this thread has been a little hijacked but I find other peoples points of view interesting, especially within a userbase like TBCS where almost everyone is very intelligent. We have such a diverse mix of people from different backgrounds and cultures, I find it informative and educational to get political once in a whole :D

AJ@PR
09-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Edit: If the mods decide that political discussion is inappropriate, just tell me and I'll edit my posts.
I personally enjoy discussing current events with people... perhaps this thread has been a little hijacked but I find other peoples points of view interesting, especially within a userbase like TBCS where almost everyone is very intelligent. We have such a diverse mix of people from different backgrounds and cultures, I find it informative and educational to get political once in a whole :D

This is going fine so far. :up: :up:

Props to all of you guys.

And Mintz, my opinion doesn't stink.
It smells of fresh blooming flowers in mid-spring on a warm breezy Tuesday summer afternoon with hints of polypiod lavanders, some woodsy aftertones, and peachy faint highlights.

Same goes for my asshole. :eek:

nil8
09-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Pearl Harbor was definitely the very big, loud, & heavy straw that broke the camel's back. The white house was very hesitant to actually instigate a war. Remember, the US was just starting to crawl out of the great depression. War is expensive and FDR was spending much of his money and effort trying to deal with current social issues internally. We still supported the Allies, but mostly in goods and trade because they needed it and we needed the money to rebuild infrastructure.

Because of proper propaganda, a massive draft, Pearl Harbor & a society willing to sacrifice what little they had, once the US entered WW2 the society worked as an amazing efficient machine, pumping out the goods needed to supply the allied forces as well as the necessities of home. Most of this work force was women. From this noticeable shift really started the women's movements in the early 50's that didn't pick up steam or gain any notice until the early 60's.

Wow, ok. Odd turn there. Anyway, I think I've had enough 10th grade WW2 class for the day.

I don't get why so many Americans bash Canada. It's a nice place, with decent people, just like America is. Treat them right, they'll treat you right. Nothing wrong with that.

Hitler invaded Poland in 39, long before the US entered.

xRyokenx
09-25-2007, 12:19 PM
I like Canada, and I find the version of them in South Park funny too... like that really means anything, but whatever. I'd like to go there, it's up north, possibly cooler, different culture, seems like the place to spend a few weeks bike riding or something... maybe that's what I'll do, as it's closer than Germany and I haven't been there yet.

History is an interesting thing, after I "get my **** together" I'll have to study it more, reading "For us, the living" by Robert Heinlein again and I'm seeing things I didn't, and becoming fascinated by stuff that I had forgotten about.

/OT

slytherock
09-25-2007, 12:26 PM
All canada is interesting, I've travelled it from east to west. every place have his little culture: BC is nice and cool, middle is mmm.. let's just say weird for now. the Quebec province is the greatest place in the world. and the maritime is rustic?

Airbozo
09-25-2007, 12:53 PM
EVERYONE should read this book;
What Every American Should Know about American History:
http://books.google.com/books?id=FToCAAAACAAJ&dq=what+every+american+should+know+about+history
It is an easy read and includes good information.

RE: political conversation; There are no rules specifically saying there will be no political discussion, but religion and politics tend to be near and dear to most people's heart and soul and discussions tend to become heated and emotional. So long as things do not get out of hand there is only good that can come from the discussion. This thread is doing OK so no worries about editing posts.

Crazy Buddhist
09-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Erh... Not to knock you off your pedestal, but we're in the wars supporting him too...

I'm on no pedestal.

I have never supported this war or any other, I am a pacifist. "We" is a concept and not a real entity - whatever you mean by it. I have never voted for any government because I worked out before I was fifteen years old that the concept of democracy bore no real relation to the state in which we lived. I am a refusnik of modern society and its ways.

My time and energy is spent on the whole either helping those around me in small or large ways or campaigning for freedom, justice and human rights.

Most Americans are rather disillusioned with this war. As I said in my original post I feel deeply sad for those who have lost loved ones. The human cost of this "Oilman's Adventure" has been huge on all sides.

What is clear is that the American and British publics were lied to by their elected leaders for reasons we do not know - as they lied. They were dead-set on this war, broke UN resolutions to undertake it and were massively ill-prepared for the aftermath.

In this the sons and daughters of America, Britain, Iraq and etc are paying with their lives and their families paying through grief.

I have no argument with individual soldiers doing the job they have been told to do. It is a hard job and not one I would wish on my worst enemy. I feel deeply about my argument with our lying cheating governments that have undertaken this in our names.

Seemingly the real reason behind it may well have been to create the very chaos it has created. This would explain the total lack of preperation for the "post-war scenario".

I am not being anti-American or anti-British in any sense. My first and very recent visit to America was an eye opener and a joy. I have many American friends and have done so for years. As people most of the Americans I meet are good people, well meaning and well intentioned in every sense. Like most nations they have their fair share of people who are not so nice, but then so does every nation on earth.

It is the lies of "us" and "them" that have been used to blind the people of this planet from the truth with which I take great exception. This war is just a tiny part of that picture.

Mysteriphys
09-25-2007, 04:08 PM
well if it's anything near a point to be made, the thread was about the canadian dollar finally pulling it's weight, I'd like to hear/see some real insight on why people think this is, and what people think could be done to better the economies between the north american countries.

AJ@PR
09-25-2007, 04:14 PM
what people think could be done to better the economies between the north american countries.

NewEgg.com

Luke122
09-25-2007, 04:31 PM
NewEgg.com

I SECOND THAT!

I think that part of the strength of the Canadian dollar right now may be due to the increase in oil/gas production up here, which by the way is a huge pain in the ass because I cant afford a house now. Grrr....

I mean, I'm glad that 17yr old high school dropouts are making $60,000 year and buying up all the property, and getting these bloody huge 4x4 trucks, and... wait.. I'm not happy about that at all! I'm busting my ass to make a living (not in oil/gas industry), and it's a struggle to get ahead.

Damn.

Crazy Buddhist
09-25-2007, 06:06 PM
well if it's anything near a point to be made, the thread was about the canadian dollar finally pulling it's weight, I'd like to hear/see some real insight on why people think this is, and what people think could be done to better the economies between the north american countries.

The Canadian Dollar isn't pulling it's weight but the American dollar is collapsing. There's a big difference. Economically we are at or near the end of an era: that of greed and power. This is discussed in Fritjof Capra's excellent book "The Turning Point".

The new economic era will be driven by the economics of "enough is enough" and the widespread social realisation that all human lives have equal value. Interestingly think this economics will by neccessity be a modders paradise.

:)

xRyokenx
09-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey CB, read "For us, the Living" by Robert Heinlein, I'm rereading it now, good book. I wish I lived in that world, but alas, I do not. Time to get back to the present (yet another kick ass movie not made).

Airbozo
09-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Sadly I don't think we are near the end of that era yet. Greed and power are too enticing for any one person/government/country to give up without a fight. The dollar loosing it's value may be the start of something like that, but there is plenty of room to fall and rise again, with greed and power driving the recovery.

As far as "all human lives have equal value", I believe that is inherently true (maybe at birth), but some of those lives lose value quickly by the actions of the current inhabitant.

Crazy Buddhist
09-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Sadly I don't think we are near the end of that era yet. Greed and power are too enticing for any one person/government/country to give up without a fight. The dollar loosing it's value may be the start of something like that, but there is plenty of room to fall and rise again, with greed and power driving the recovery.

The economcs of greed can no longer be workable. Earth has her limits. So do people. Capra is worth a read for the social/political context I'm discussing.

As far as "all human lives have equal value", I believe that is inherently true (maybe at birth), but some of those lives lose value quickly by the actions of the current inhabitant.

People are a product of their environment and experience. There is no such thing as original sin: as you put it true at birth.

"oh the times they are a chaaa .. a .a. .anging"

Airbozo
09-25-2007, 07:42 PM
The economcs of greed can no longer be workable. Earth has her limits. So do people. Capra is worth a read for the social/political context I'm discussing.

Agreed, but humans are slow on the uptake and usually miss a good opportunity for change. Unfortunately it usually takes some sort of "disaster" for this change to happen in any significant meaningful way.

People are a product of their environment and experience. There is no such thing as original sin: as you put it true at birth.

"oh the times they are a chaaa .. a .a. .anging"

I agree with this to a point also. However given the same upbringing and environment not all humans learn and grow the same due to the wiring or lack thereof in the brain. We all see things differently even from birth.

Can you tell I do not have much faith in the human race?

xRyokenx
09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't have much faith in most people either... sad, but it is how it is. I try to be optimistic, and oddly enough, the people I'm around seem intelligent... something I'm not sure of, most people seem to be dumbasses, but when to talk to them, they're really not. Probably just the people I'm finding, but I have absolutely no practical way to figure this out. I dunno, just a curious oddity.

Crazy Buddhist
09-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Can you tell I do not have much faith in the human race?

yes.

My personal experience is that people are capable of unending change. I give up on no one.

Airbozo
09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
yes.

Hehe I knew I hid it well... :D

My personal experience is that people are capable of unending change. I give up on no one.

That is also my experience, but like I said, it usually takes some sort of major event to prod most people into change.

xRyokenx: Yes I have also been frustrated with the "seemingly" dumbassedness of people only to find out they are very intelligent. I liken it to the bubble effect. A lot of people see nothing outside of their particular bubble and hence "seem" dumb. It does not affect their bubble so it must not be important.

Back to the Canadian dollar value, I heard last night as I was driving home something that CB posted about the decreasing value of the dollar that made the value of the Canadian Dollar seem so strong. One analyst mentioned that it was also due to the NAFTA effect finally making a showing.

Side note: Largest illegal immigration population in the US? Canadians! (or it was 5 years ago...)

xRyokenx
09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Well, I'm finding the few intelligent people I like to be around. I'm quite sure I seem like a dumbass to a lot of people, especially right now where I'm in this stage where I'm trying to form a work ethic and actually feel like doing classwork that holds no interest to me (and the interesting stuff too) and I can't quite attribute this lack of doing my work to anything but laziness... there's something to do with just "not wanting to do it" too... like an active resistance. This, along with being sick and something kind of "big" that a friend just told me yesterday (nobody's dying... it's... different and something I will refrain from discussing as it's something I wouldn't want talked about without my permission and all that good stuff) that I can't seem to stop thinking about for reasons I cannot explain. I'm overwhelmed right now... I'd go for a break but 1) I can't and 2) that'd be like turning down the difficulty in a game to get past a particularly hard challenge that's supposed to be that way. You can't just lower it to get past there because then you didn't persist or get what was to be gained from the situation. So yeah, I have tons on my mind and all that good schtuff... ugh. *goes to cough up more phlegm that his body seems to be getting through a wormhole from another dimension or something*

But yeah, investing in gold might be the way to go... but I haven't done my research on that, so I can't have a valid opinion, just a guess...

nil8
09-26-2007, 01:29 PM
The new economic era will be driven by the economics of "enough is enough" and the widespread social realisation that all human lives have equal value. Interestingly think this economics will by neccessity be a modders paradise.

I completely disagree. The notion that people will better themselves beyond the notion of greed or power has disproven itself time and time again in our existence. History is chocked full of examples of people succumbing to greed, lust, power or envy of others and this is the nature of all humans, whether or not we choose to accept or embrace it.

As for giving up on people, some people aren't worth it in the first place. They are nothing but gurgitators. Their entire existence consists of food, sleep, sex, work, and being told what they want to hear and never trying to better themselves, become uncomfortable by trying new things or understanding that their limits are ones they set on themselves. The only thing I've found these people to be good for is refining manipulation and making them enjoy being used.

Yes, that is sociopathic and it doesn't bother me one little bit. In my short time here I've learned to help the people who actually willing to put forth the effort and time to help themselves. Everyone else is just filler.

Crazy Buddhist
09-27-2007, 09:14 AM
.... The only thing I've found these people to be good for is refining manipulation and making them enjoy being used.

Yes, that is sociopathic and it doesn't bother me one little bit. In my short time here I've learned to help the people who actually willing to put forth the effort and time to help themselves. Everyone else is just filler.

I guess that could be termed sociopathic but it seems more to me like you are expressing your frustration at some people's seemingly intentional desire to stay stupid.

Also your last paragraph indicates that you are quite willing to give of yourself to others who are capable of recieving - reminiscent of Jesus' "cast not thy pearls amongst swine" in terms of understanding and intention (you do not wish to waste that you have to offer - a sensible approach).

... so not really sociopathic, imo ... somewhat discerning I would say - and deeply cynical perhaps - but sociopaths give to no-one.

Crazy Buddhist
09-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Back to the Canadian dollar value, I heard last night as I was driving home something that CB posted about the decreasing value of the dollar that made the value of the Canadian Dollar seem so strong. One analyst mentioned that it was also due to the NAFTA effect finally making a showing.

I'd consider it almost impossible at a time of such market volatitlity to make meaningful statements about the NAFTA effect on currencies - I am wondering what he based this analysis on? If there has been a discernible change in the net imports/exports between USA and Canada it might be supportable - but I haven't looked for or seen the figures on that.

I think the overwhelming factor in favour of the C$ right now is simply the one previously stated: - it is not the US$. After all if you stand on a sinking ship everything else appears to be rising.

AJ@PR
09-27-2007, 11:35 AM
from /.

Politics: The Canadian Taxman Goes Browsing on eBay
Posted by Zonk on Thursday September 27, @11:22AM
from the don't-get-any-ideas-uncle-sam dept.
Kaneda2112 writes
"A story in the Globe And Mail points out that the Canada Revenue Agency is now trolling eBay Canada for high volume sellers (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070926.wrebay27/BNStory/Technology/home) — looking to make sure eBay's biggest users are accurately reporting their income. They've successfully gotten a court order for the names, addresses, and other personal information for that website's biggest users. 'Canadians spend about $5-billion online each year and eBay is by far the largest electronic marketplace, accounting for about a quarter of the total sales. The site was visited by nearly 11 million Canadians in August, according to company figures. The CRA said in court filings that it is targeting people who qualified for eBay's PowerSeller program in 2004 and 2005. Only top eBay sellers can qualify for the program, which provides benefits to members. Those benefits include prioritized customer service, special promotions and sales tips.'"

Read More... (http://politics.slashdot.org/politics/07/09/27/1413212.shtml)