PDA

View Full Version : Something is going on with my sound card...

Greco101
09-22-2007, 06:51 PM
All of the sudden the software icon isn't appearing in my taskbar... and I can't get to it from the start menu. I reinstalled the drivers and it was in the taskbar... then about an hour later, my computer shut down for no reason and restarted... icon is gone again. wtf?

Exley
09-23-2007, 10:45 PM
try looking in the control panel for it (assuming your running windows), thats how i access mine when i turn off the icon

Crazy Buddhist
09-24-2007, 05:23 AM
All of the sudden the software icon isn't appearing in my taskbar... and I can't get to it from the start menu. I reinstalled the drivers and it was in the taskbar... then about an hour later, my computer shut down for no reason and restarted... icon is gone again. wtf?

Could be a conflict - has anything new been installed?

Also the random reboot sounds like either symptoms of video card instability OR a malware infection (perhaps causing the soundcard issue too?)

I would investigate all the above.

:)

AJ@PR
09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I like What's Runnin (http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/main.aspx)g to see... well, what's running

xmastree
09-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I'd make sure it's plugged in right.

Luke122
09-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Is your sound still working? If so, then it's likely that the icon just needs to be put back into the systray. This can be accessed from the control panel, under "sounds". Make sure the check mark is on "display a shortcut on the system tray". If the check is there, take it out, hit apply, then put it back and hit apply again.

If the sound isnt working, then I'd go with CrazyB's suggestion of a possible hardware conflict. Check your device mangler for conflicts or errors.

organicpuzzle
10-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Make sure your case is grounded correctly. I had a problem like this and it turned out one of the pieces from that little metal panel cover on the back of my case had been lodged in an ethernet port! I had to take everything out of my case before I realized that was the culprit causing lock ups, shut downs and incorrect hardware readings such as sound card failure.

jdbnsn
10-28-2007, 08:56 PM
What soundcard do you have? I have had the exact same symptoms you described with a creative labs X-fi fatality before. First thing, be sure that if there is a power cable connector on the soundcard it has been plugged in to power. Then I'd try moving the card to another pci slot, and if none are available try swapping two things out. Then download the latest drivers and see what happens.

jdbnsn
11-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Did you ever resolve this?

Greco101
11-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Yes I did. I forget how now though :o(

Crazy Buddhist
11-04-2007, 02:50 AM
Yes I did. I forget how now though :o(

Wow. You'll be soo pleased about that next time it happens :D