PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Wireless Drivers?

Zephik
09-28-2007, 05:55 AM
So I have a linksys pci adapter with speed booster, but I can't seem to get it to work on ubuntu. It won't even detect any wireless routers. My other linksys card worked fine, it was basically the same thing but without the speed booster. But I don't have that card anymore. Hmmm. Anyone know whats up or how to fix it??

Thanks for the help! I'm off to bed, I give up on trying to figure it out. ><

.Maleficus.
09-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Model number?

Zephik
09-28-2007, 06:30 AM
Model number?

WMP54GS (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416826820&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=2682039789B09)

.Maleficus.
09-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Hope this helps you out, I read most and it seems promising.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=152292&highlight=WMP54GS

Zephik
09-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Does anyone want to walk me through this in lame, I mean, laymen terms? lol

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=931248&postcount=6

I get the terminal part, but I'm not sure what Im supposed to be changing the areas hes asking to be changed to.

.Maleficus.
09-29-2007, 08:06 AM
You need to edit 2 things in the script. The "MYESSID" and "MYINTERFACE". "MYESSID" you change to the name of your network. "MYINTERFACE" you change to the name of your card (my guess would be WMP54GS). Then, save it (without an extension IIRC), and add the little line of code under that to the file "/etc/network/interfaces".

Zephik
09-29-2007, 08:26 AM
You need to edit 2 things in the script. The "MYESSID" and "MYINTERFACE". "MYESSID" you change to the name of your network. "MYINTERFACE" you change to the name of your card (my guess would be WMP54GS). Then, save it (without an extension IIRC), and add the little line of code under that to the file "/etc/network/interfaces".

lol dumb question, how do I find out the name of my network?

Save it? Like copy and paste the code into the terminal... or save.. something... ?

What do you mean by "without an extension IIRC"?

Then that last line... yea... what? lol

Woo! Now THAT is a brain fart! lol!

Just pretend like your giving instructions to a monkey. lol

Zephik
09-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Okay, through some miracle in heaven, I got my adapter working. I can detect my wireless router fine now, it even gives me my signal percentage. But I still can't connect to the router... it'll just attempt to connect for a minute or two then not work.

Anyone know what the problem is now? I don't have a WEP on my router, so I should be able to just connect shouldn't I?

:?

Okay... then... well, I can connect to the router now. Everything is working fine now it seems. I'm going to leave this open though, because I have a funny feeling.

.Maleficus.
09-29-2007, 02:15 PM
So it works? Good to hear.

XcOM
09-29-2007, 05:50 PM
i had this with my wireless card, it didn't like it some times, and others it would see my network, attempt to aonnect but get nowhere,

and others it would connect no problems

Wierd.

calumc
09-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Ive got a similar sorta thing under Linux Mint, I dont have WEP but ''ascii key'' needs to be selected in the settings but it changes to hexadecimal every so often for some reason:?:?