PDA

View Full Version : D-Link Troubles

Jetty_200
09-28-2007, 09:13 AM
hey all, I've been having problems with me wireless router ever since I started my new mod. Which are totally unrelated since the mod is still in the garage.

Anyways this is the equipment i'm using
DI-624 from d-link (http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DI%2D624%5FrevD)

DWL G-132 from D-link (http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL%2DG132)

Was wondering...if any of you may have some more expertise on hardware such as this. As most of you prolly should, i suck with wireless networks. :mad:
Ya, tech support can suck my b@lls I hate them and they are soooo stupidly redundant. I prolly spend about 5 hours with them and i get as far as what i've already done myself in about 45 min. And then they ask you to do it all again.

Ok so here's whats happening. The internet will have intermitent connectivity, periodically cutting out. Sometimes it says connected, sometimes it tells me i'm not, while i'm still surfing the net. Sometimes it just eff's off and i have no idea what it's doing.
I've just preformed a fresh format+re-install and just set up the router from scratch again. And the **** is in my opinion is a fantastic router....its just it's soo hard to get to work, they replaced my last one about 10 months ago, which is terrible since i've only bought it about 12 months ago.

Anyways any input on this would be super super appreciated.

Note: also see my other thread i'm about to create re: Asus M2A-VM mobo with AMD 5000+ X2 which i am having troubles with.

xRyokenx
09-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Umm... I'm no expert on wireless, but before it wouldn't connect to mine properly so what I did was go into the TCP/IP settings, just plug in a random IP, hit okay and exit everything. Go back in after it connects with that and set it to automatically get an IP address... hope that works, it's the one thing I've learned to do for some problems I have. Good luck dude, hope ya get it fixed and that works.

Luke122
09-28-2007, 11:23 AM
By default, the Dlinks always go to channel 6, and no security. As a result, there are probably hundreds of thousands of unprotected networks out there, all fighting over channel 6.

I'd connect to the di-624 (I have one also) with a cable, and go into the admin. Change the wifi to WPA-PSK, and set it to channel 1. Enter a passkey, and save the changes to reboot it.

On the PC/laptop/whatever, redetect the wireless, and try to connect the 624 using the new settings.

If you are still having troubles with random disconnects, try changing the channel to 2, then 3, etc.

Also, 2.4ghz cordless phones, xbox controllers (wireless of course), and microwaves can all make wifi go apesh*t, so if you have any of those things in range, try to use them to see if that causes the disconnect.

My cordless phone kills my router every time I answer it, so I have to keep switching the channels on the phone all the time. It's a pain, but it was dirt cheap and works otherwise. So I cant complain.

It's possible that there is also another network close by, and your pc is trying to connect to that. In the wireless advanced settings, turn off the "automatically connect to unprotected networks", and make sure that your network is at the top of the list of preferred networks. Maybe even delete all the other profiles in the list, just to be sure.

Jetty_200
10-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Ok only one real thing that can interfere is - cordless phone
However it would be to frequent of downages to reason it the phone. It's pretty much 10 min. of online time, then random disconnection without it displaying anything (but sometimes it does say disconnected) and then i get my like 1 min. of no connection.

Would you folks think it has anything to do with my previous stated driver problems?
I have a feeling it is...but since i cant immediately solve either of these issues i would have to say i'm uncertain, just a hunch.

Keep 'em ideas flowing guys if you've got any more :)

Luke122
10-02-2007, 02:02 PM
If you connect to the router using an ethernet cable, do the disconnects still happen?

It's also possible that your power management settings are turning off the USB device to save power. Check that in the device mangler..

Luke122
10-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Just thought of something else.. have you tried to remove the profile for the connection on your PC and recreate it?

Jetty_200
10-02-2007, 02:29 PM
hardwire works fine.

Profile for the connection?...you mean the automatic connection profiles?

Luke122
10-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Exactly.. just remove it from the list, and when you try to reconnect, you'll have to enter the password again. Those profiles can become corrupt sometimes, and then you have all sorts of weird disconnects.

Then again, poor reception can also cause intermittent failures.

Jetty_200
10-02-2007, 03:57 PM
already tried that resolution, did no t work

As for the low level of reception, it's a strong signal. when it connects it says excellent connection. I have used this setup previously for about 8 months, moved here and now after 4 months of good working network, it started going ****ty again! arrrr

Thanks though

Luke122
10-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Then I suspect either hardware failure, or interference from another source.

Maybe unplug the router power, and see if you can spot any wifi nearby.. someone else maybe has added a wifi setup that is causing interference..?

Jetty_200
10-02-2007, 11:20 PM
hmm well i didn't think that it would have caused problems, but there are about 6 other networks that my receiver picks up, all being under 10% connectivity though. All those SSID's aren't assigned to my receiver though. pls lemmie know how they would mess mine up?

Crazy Buddhist
10-03-2007, 05:24 AM
hmm well i didn't think that it would have caused problems, but there are about 6 other networks that my receiver picks up, all being under 10% connectivity though. All those SSID's aren't assigned to my receiver though. pls lemmie know how they would mess mine up?

If they are connecting on the same channel it could cause packet loss and drop outs. So could a 2.4Ghz cordless phone or the operation of a badly working microwave oven nearby.

This does not sound like that issue though to be honest because of the behaviour you have reported.

In particular you mention it sometimes says you are not connected but you are still able to use the internet. This is indicative of a problem on the software side. I suspect your hardware is fine.

Try the following:

1) check that windows wireless network management is turned off and not causing conflicts.

2) check in device manager that the wireless adapter has its own IRQ and is not sharing resources.

3) I would definitely go to the trouble of connecting through every available channel to see where your signal is maxed and SNR lowest.

4) check you have the latest firmware installed on the router and the latest driver release for the NIC from D-link's site.

5) as someone mentioned already - in device manager set the power properties of the NIC to not allow the device to be powered down.

6) I would set the TCP/IP properties of the connection on the PC with a static/manually assigned IP address/Mask gateway and DNS servers, rather than having the router assign them. This will avoid any DHCP issues.

7) I once experienced a similar issue that took a while to resolve. Out of frustration I opened up the router to take a look. The wireless stuff in that router happened to be on a daughter board and the daughter board was not seated properly: probably had come loose in shipping. Reseating the daughter board sorted it.

I would definitely say your driver is conflicting with something based on what you report. Did you install any other H/W or software about the time this happened?

:)

Jetty_200
10-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Ooooooo i must say firstly that that is a mighty nice land rover :)

Lol secondly thanks for the great ideas! they sound great.
I would try these issues when i get home, however my issue seems to have almost corrected itself. My network does not drop itself now! yessssss

One last issue, when i turn on my pc, half the time the usb receiver turns on with the pc, and half the time it doesn't, i'll have to physically pull it out, wait about 10 seconds and then plug it back in. not as bad of an issue but still.

Crazy Buddhist
10-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Ooooooo i must say firstly that that is a mighty nice land rover :)

She's mighty dead and I miss her loads :(. She was mighty nice when she looked like this:

http://www.carsearch.com/photos/758763.jpeg

Lol secondly thanks for the great ideas! they sound great.
I would try these issues when i get home, however my issue seems to have almost corrected itself. My network does not drop itself now! yessssss

One last issue, when i turn on my pc, half the time the usb receiver turns on with the pc, and half the time it doesn't, i'll have to physically pull it out, wait about 10 seconds and then plug it back in. not as bad of an issue but still.

Glad it's feeling better ... no idea on the usb front .. maybe it's on it's way to dying a natural death?

:)

Luke122
10-03-2007, 01:21 PM
..which would also explain the random disconnects. Or, it might just be a poor connection. Does it do the same thing in any other USB ports? I have one USB port on my laptop that refuses to run my wireless mouse, though other ports work fine with it and other devices work fine in that port.

Crazy Buddhist
10-03-2007, 07:38 PM
..which would also explain the random disconnects. Or, it might just be a poor connection. Does it do the same thing in any other USB ports? I have one USB port on my laptop that refuses to run my wireless mouse, though other ports work fine with it and other devices work fine in that port.

v.true reppage a vous :)