PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of office 2007

luciusad2004
09-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey guys. I started school recently and my University uses office 2007.I am also forced to take a class which, once a week, involves a lab were i get to spend two hours learning how to use office. I'm not really sure what i think of it yet.

At the moment, i find it sort of confusing. However i think it could grow on me as i get more familiar with it. I'm just not sure how much i like the layout. It's pretty though.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought of office 2007

Edit: Also, if you prefer some sort of Office alternative feel free to mention it here.

Greco101
09-28-2007, 04:11 PM
I definitely like the older versions more... I'm more use to the file/edit/view type deal not the *click circle thing* *see if what I want is in there* *click other stuff* *look through pictures and read text to see wtf it is* etc...

luciusad2004
09-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Yeah I'm so used to the old menu system that its hard to move away from. Now i find that if i don't already know what i am doing, and if I'm not being explicitly told i just sort of start floating my mouse over random things untill i find what looks like it MIGHT be helpful... only to find out that it wasn't what i thought it was.

I'm not going to say its horrible, as i go through the tutorials i have to go through for class, it starts to work out for me, I'm just so used to the old system.

calumc
09-28-2007, 04:21 PM
the worst thing about it is the price and also the backward compatibility thing.
The new open office is meant to be much improved, havent had a chance to try it though

Greco101
09-28-2007, 04:25 PM
It's more vista-ish.

elbarto241
09-28-2007, 05:14 PM
like all things new, it takes some getting use to and there always that learning curve.
overall i like it, i was getting with bored with the old menus anyways.. :D

Airbozo
09-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Still an Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/)user. I just can not justify the cost of that bloated M$ product. Is office 2007 open document capable yet?

Wasabisam
09-29-2007, 08:06 AM
I am using Office 03 atm because school does so im use to it, But when i had vista on, i used 07. I liked it apart from the fact when i just hit save, it saved as an 07 doc, Got to school couldnt open it. You have to go save As 95/98/2000/2003 Capable. Other than that takes abit to get use to, but i like it

Sam

Exley
09-29-2007, 09:40 AM
My dad bought a copy of 2007 student edition ( its cheaper ) and i read in the eula that you get three installs so i put it on my desktop to mess with. Well when i started college in the fall it turned out they use it. At first i really hated the new menus but now i'm getting used to them. and i like the other new features they added like the live preview. Its really hard to explain the new menus to people though "how do i save!" "click on that damn little round thing in the corner"

luciusad2004
09-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Still an Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/)user. I just can not justify the cost of that bloated M$ product. Is office 2007 open document capable yet?

I thought i read somewhere on the internetz that open office ran more slowly? Is this a fallacy? If it supported the right formats, i would use it on my ibook since i see no need to buy expensive software for such a pitiful machine.

nil8
09-29-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm an Office 2k3 user. Which sucks b/c my current job is still running office 2k. Pain in the ass old software. I prefer office 2k3 b/c I know a metric f*ckton about it through dealing with it in other jobs. I even have a big book(~900 pages) of office 2k3 tips, tricks, workarounds & fixes. It sits in my desk at work because we do have some 2k3 users.

Office 2k7 is our next deployment at work. It will be happening once we get the licenses bought(hooray VLK), and get the users trained. I'm going to have a solid 2 months of dealing with 2k7 issues and I know it. Basically it's going to be user training because it is so different from our current setup. I still haven't been trained on 2k7, but from playing around with it, once you get into how it functions and why it was changed, it's smoother, faster and honestly, easier for end users. It's just making that shift that is so time consuming & frustrating.

As for open office, I've seen far too many compliance issues with it for it to really be viable in any medium or higher business from what I've seen. For small businesses looking to save some cash, it does work well. Just make sure that the documents are MS Office compliant just in case a conversion is done or you are dealing with outside clients who run an MS shop, as so many do.

Damn I am such an IT nerd it scares me.

Airbozo
09-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I thought i read somewhere on the internetz that open office ran more slowly? Is this a fallacy? If it supported the right formats, i would use it on my ibook since i see no need to buy expensive software for such a pitiful machine.

I honestly can't say for sure on this one. I have not installed MS Office on this system so I can't compare.

calumc
09-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Im running open office in linux and i find it faster than M$ office in xp, but then again my xp was very slow altogether