PDA

View Full Version : Project Hot Rod

Iceman1330
08-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Hello all,
during the corse of the summer I have taken up a job at a machine shop which creates very large submersible electric pumps for power companies. Being in good terms with the boss (family), he allowed me to bring in my computer to go crazy with the machining tools.

The idea hit me for a hot rod themed mod about a week ago when I was at a car show, looking around at all of the cars with the addons and tweaks struck a cord. Modding your computer is much the same thing as making a hot rod. You buy top of the line parts, shine them up, make the computer your own with customizations, then show it off.

Making a computer which reflected both the ideals of car modification and computer modification seemed the adequate thing to do.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started out by removing all of the panels from my case, and glass bead sandblasting them to remove the paint. I then aquired some 3" high desnsity foam and started to hacka nd sand away to get the basic look of my case down.

On the top front an air scoop will pull air down the front bezel and act as a general purpose vent. A carberator air filter will act as a second intake up on top of the "hood" of the case. behind the carberator filer is a blowhole. i'm not sure wheter to make it just look like a vent or add a more elaborate muffler looking exhast onto it.

The front of the case will have a large "grill" that extends 9" from the bottom and stops. there will be a front swinging door to hide the 5" bays.

The side of the case will be an acrylic window with flames glass bead sandblasted into the sides, and lit up from the bottom. I will also create what will appear to be an engine header on the side of the case, with two exhast pipes, one pulling air from the CPU and one pulling air out from behind the Hard drives. A large 120mm fan will be positioned over the GPU/PCI card slots for extra cooling. (I will fabricate a fan gaurd that will look like a wheel.)

The case will have a red on bottom to black up top fade or vice versa, with two racing stripes running up from the front to rear of the case.

Pics will come shortly.