PDA

View Full Version : LED table

SgtM
10-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Tried a search. Didn't turn up anything. I want to make one of these.

IkmpIXd9Q90

Spawn-Inc
10-02-2007, 07:45 PM
i think i've seen this kinda thing on daily planet or here before, but it was a bar not a table.

tybrenis
10-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Looks like a hell of a project. Maybe you should buy an eBay pack o' LEDs and make a scaled down model first. I think it would be pretty sick in any situation, especially mixed into a mod...

Eclecticos
10-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Here (http://myworld.ebay.com/led-hk/) is where I got my Pack 100 for $7.00

Zephik
10-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Who wouldn't want to make one of those? lol Thats awesome!

If I had the ability, I would add a couple more leds per square inch or whatever and fine tune it. The "ripples" on that board or too big or something. or too blocky I guess. If that makes sense. But that would probably cost a lot more and be much harder or something.

Anyways, cool find! I wish there was a guide on how to build one of those, at least then I could guesstimate if its within my abilities or not.

+rep

Omega
10-03-2007, 01:01 AM
I would do it so when an object gets closer, the LED's get brighter

and have them tighter together

put your drink down, it lights up... ;)

Zephik
10-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Might look cooler with frosted plexi too.

Omega
10-03-2007, 02:06 AM
ahh

i can imagine that.

put down your coffee, suddenly it has an aura

laptop, aura

etc

Zephik
10-03-2007, 05:56 AM
How much do you guys think this would cost? What would you rate it on the difficulty scale?

Luke122
10-03-2007, 12:40 PM
I would guess the financial cost wouldnt be too high, but the labour cost would be huuuuuuuge.

I wonder how it detects items? Motion sensors? If that was the case, anyone walking or moving nearby would set it off.. maybe motion detectors with very low resolution.. so that you have to be super close to it. If that was the case, frosted plexi would probably prevent it from working. :(

Luke122
10-03-2007, 01:01 PM
If I had the ability, I would add a couple more leds per square inch or whatever and fine tune it. The "ripples" on that board or too big or something. or too blocky I guess. If that makes sense.

I dont think that the problem here is too few LED's, it's that they are grouped poorly, and they are either off or on.

If they were in smaller groups, or even able to light independantly of one another (that would be complex I bet), and be able to have some sort of stepping on the brightness to make them appear to fade on and off, then it would be much cooler.

dgrmkrp
10-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Think mouse optical engine :) When it senses motion nearby, and I mean nearby, it lights a led.. Extrapolating, you could study some spec sheets and find a good, cheap optical sensor. I suppose this would be the greatest cost >> the "mobo". Also, making a small part flash is easy, making an intertwined network from them to act like the video isn't that simple.. I'm sorry to say, but this thing could be utterly simple or extremely complicated... Either way, if someone can build one I wanna see the log :)

Luke122
10-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Well... I dont think that this is within my abilities, but I do have almost 100 led's left over, so I'm looking into it also. :D

OvRiDe
10-07-2007, 04:32 AM
Tried a search. Didn't turn up anything. I want to make one of these.

Actually the URLs were at the very end of the video ;)

Might look cooler with frosted plexi too.
Like this ...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/213/524977536_76a9bf923b_b.jpg

How much do you guys think this would cost? What would you rate it on the difficulty scale?

From the website that sells them they go for between $1900-$2500

Here is the website that sells them https://www.becausewecan.org/shop/taxonomy/term/3

EvilMadScientist.com is offering a kit to build your own!!

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/tablekits

Looks like they have 2 packages.. a 6 panel for $350 and an 8 panel for $450.

If I had the funds I would be all over one of these!! Enjoy and Good Luck!!

Omega
10-07-2007, 05:07 AM
it's probably much cheaper to figure out how he did it and buy an assload of LED's, resistors, and whatever else you need, plus breadboard or just tons of wire.