PDA

View Full Version : Sound Proofing

Razor Blade
08-10-2005, 02:25 AM
Hey guys. Quick question. I'm looking to remodel my computer and one thing I really want is a quiet little beast. My computer isn't exactly a jet engine or anything but loud enough where it can get annoying without the music cranked all the way.

So what are your guys' ideas on sound proofing, or cases that have really good sound blocking elements to them - that maybe I can mod etc ... I want a super quiet computer, and with the computer parts I have, a fanless PC isn't an option. So I need my gool ol' fans to cool and some sound proofing techniques to eliminate the noise!

Hope that's clear enough, all replies welcome! :)

nil8
08-10-2005, 11:34 AM
First suggestion is watercooling. Second is sound matting in your case.

Silver.Draco
08-10-2005, 02:47 PM
I don't know if your hdd and cd-rom drives are making noize but you might wanna think of puting some small amount of rubber between them and the rest of the case. this might eliminate the noize made by the fibrations.

I hope you get the idea.

Crimson Sky
08-10-2005, 04:33 PM
First thing to try before sound proof matting and multi-layered cases (like the Antec Aria) is to invest in better fans. PanaFlo and pabst fans are considered the quietest available while maintaining high CFM. Get a nice big CPU heatsink (like the Swiftech MCX series) that requires a quieter fan. Use rubber grommets on all fans attached to the case, and avoid fan grills with hex and perforated mesh--these add a tremendous ammount of noise to a quiet fan. Bigger (120mm) fans are also quieter, and move a lot of air.

crazybillybob
08-10-2005, 04:36 PM
I don't know if your hdd and cd-rom drives are making noize but you might wanna think of puting some small amount of rubber between them and the rest of the case. this might eliminate the noize made by the fibrations.

I hope you get the idea.

Put some small Rubber grommets where the screws go, Also use them where the fans mount to keep down vibration, but make sure there is a good seal to the fan (cuts down on the whistling when the air squeezes between the fan casing and the case). Get rid of your 70mm,80mm, high speed fans and use a 120mm that spins at a lower speed (move the same volume because the blades are bigger) you'll have less "Fan whining". If that's not enough Dyno-mat the inside of the case...Though this could cause case temps to rise cause it acts as insulation for heat to (the air can't get to the metal case, so your case can't spread the heat away). Make sure all the screws in the case are tight (cuts down on rattling).....Of course you could do water cooling. ;)

Crazybillybob

UK-Blade
08-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah, if ur not gonna go watercooling then upgrade your fans. Try SilenX (http://www.silenx.com/) fans, on paper they are even quieter than Panaflo or Pabst.
As Crazybillybob says, bigger fans/slower speed=less noise. :D
In practice the acoustic matting doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, but u never know it might for u.
Plus several people do fanless PSU's etc, but for that money you may as well go the whole way and go H2O.....

Shane33
08-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Buy the Lian li 2100! best silent case out there. Very sturdy, very silent. Lots of space and lots of room to mod if you have the right tools, since it is so thick.

Aero
08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Lol, me and my friend have a competition to see whos computer is the loudest :p, so you won't want my advice.

nil8
08-12-2005, 03:14 PM
The big ass fan loud or many small fans loud?

timmer
08-12-2005, 03:27 PM
http://www.3dcool.com/Details.asp?cid=94&id=337

2bigfan
08-12-2005, 10:32 PM
my fans r 30 cm and there loud but not sonic. so big does not mean silent its the rpm.